Sim time logbook

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Sim time logbook

Post by garfield »

hi,

I've read about logging sim time and I think I have to remove sim hours (type rating/PPC) from my total time, is that correct? I would write a ``correction line`` and only log it under flight simulator column.

thank you
---------- ADS -----------

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Sim time logbook

Post by derateNO »

I have never, since the beginning of time, logged sim training.

But yes, to remove it you write a correction line.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

garfield wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:04 pm hi,

I've read about logging sim time and I think I have to remove sim hours (type rating/PPC) from my total time, is that correct? I would write a ``correction line`` and only log it under flight simulator column.

thank you
Depends. what are you using your total time for? Who is asking for your total time? Ask them what you can include if you are unsure. For licensing purposes, the requirements are detailed in the CARs, for job purposes, do whatever you think is appropriate.

Personally I keep a seperate total for in-airplane-flight-time and certified-sim-flight-time. Depends a bit on how much sime time you've racked up. Hour requirements are usually not that strict that you would need the 20 hours of sime time to count. If you have 200 hours of sim time though, it might give you an edge maybe, but by that time you probably have few thousand hours of actual airplane time anyway that it turns into a non issue again.

I've added them to the total time of a resume once, and clarified during the interview the amount of hours that was sim time. It was a non issue. Usually nobody cares. It could be important if you are just on the edge of contract or insurance requirements, so definitely don't lie.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Sim time goes in the sim slot in your logbook. Nowhere else. A sim isn’t an airplane.

Let’s Go Brandon
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:20 am Sim time goes in the sim slot in your logbook. Nowhere else. A sim isn’t an airplane.
Transport disagrees:
(4) Experience

(a) An applicant shall have completed a minimum of 45 hours private pilot flight training in aeroplanes under the direction and supervision of the holder of a Flight Instructor Rating - Aeroplane. A maximum 5 of the 45 hours may be conducted on an approved aeroplane simulator or flight training device.
You need 45 hours of flight training in aeroplanes. Yet 5 of those hours can be in a sim. Not that weird that people would add sim to their total time.

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

It is still Sim time. Log it as sim but you can count up to 5 of those sim hours for the purpose of getting that license. Logging time and using time for license/endorsement issuance are two distinct things.

Going for the deck at corner
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

The only time a personal log is required, is to apply for ratings/licenses, or to show recency. In those cases, transport makes no difference between an airplane and a simulator.
Personal Logs

401.08 (1) Every applicant for, and every holder of, a flight crew permit, licence or rating shall maintain a personal log in accordance with subsection (2) and with the personnel licensing standards for the documentation of

(a) experience acquired in respect of the issuance of the flight crew permit, licence or rating; and

(b) recency.

(2) A personal log that is maintained for the purposes referred to in paragraphs (1)(a) and (b) shall contain the holder’s name and the following information in respect of each flight:

(a) the date of the flight;

(b) the type of aircraft and its registration mark;

(c) the flight crew position in which the holder acted;

(d) the flight conditions with respect to day, night, VFR and IFR;

(e) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane or helicopter, the place of departure and the place of arrival;

(f) in the case of a flight in an aeroplane, all of the intermediate take-offs and landings;

(g) the flight time;

(h) in the case of a flight in a glider, the method of launch used for the flight; and

(i) in the case of a flight in a balloon, the method of inflation used for the flight.
I'm not saying it makes sense, but there seems to be no special log sim requirements, but you do need to log it if you intend to use it for your license application.

Return to “General Comments”