Who's gotten a lay off?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Who's gotten a lay off?

Post by co-joe »

Jumbo744 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:54 pm People say that this crisis is temporary and that once things pick up, it will be better than before or at least back to normal. This is simply not true. It will take a very long time for the economy to wake up once the virus stops spreading.
Maybe, but remember AC was 937 pilots short, Jazz must have been 500 short, Encore was short big numbers of Captains which now they can fill from WS mainline with experienced people because the one list forces them to. It's going to hurt a lot, but with everyone being short and the max already parked, I think companies are lean already, and will be ok. Sunwing is an unfortunate victim of their own model being travel and tourism only.
---------- ADS -----------

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

Cessna 180 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:02 pm The first has fallen (Sunwing).

"Regrettably at this time the Company has announced it is laying off the entire pilot group starting April 8th. Your Union will meet with the Company tomorrow morning to discuss mitigation strategies for the members. While we go through this difficult time we will ensure the Collective Agreement is followed, as such we have been given 3 weeks notice and expect vacation to be paid out accordingly. The airline intends to begin normal operations into a summer program once the effects of the pandemic allow air travel to return to normal. We understand this is causing uncertainty for our FCM’s and their families, more support from UNIFOR will follow. Please stay safe, look after each other and communicate with your Base Reps as your first point of contact."
Really very sorry to hear this. I sincerely hope that the measures being taken by governments and corporate sectors around the world have the desired effect and make this situation as short as possible. For all our sakes!

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

We can now kiss that pilot shortage goodbye.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

co-joe wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:14 pm
Jumbo744 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:54 pm People say that this crisis is temporary and that once things pick up, it will be better than before or at least back to normal. This is simply not true. It will take a very long time for the economy to wake up once the virus stops spreading.
Maybe, but remember AC was 937 pilots short, Jazz must have been 500 short, Encore was short big numbers of Captains which now they can fill from WS mainline with experienced people because the one list forces them to. It's going to hurt a lot, but with everyone being short and the max already parked, I think companies are lean already, and will be ok. Sunwing is an unfortunate victim of their own model being travel and tourism only.
This event could change the way people decide to live. Prior to this climate activists were very active fighting air travel. We could very well see a shift where more people work at home, less people travel etc.

We still have a pilot shortage based on our old ways. If we change our ways who knows how many pilots we will need. The longer this event lasts the more we will change. If this blows over in a month I would expect we would all be back to work in a year. If this takes a year to get things under control with the virus, airlines may never look the same in our lifetime.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

mixturerich wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:51 pm We can now kiss that pilot shortage goodbye.
For now yes, but not gone forever unless the global economy never recovers...which it will.

Having been through the late 90s, 9/11, and 2008 I can say there will always be jobs. for some this will come as a real eye opener for what they thought they knew about aviation from the last 5 years is not how its going to be going forward for the next few years.
This downturn will be the worst one I've seen in 25 years in aviation, BUT the retirement wave is here, thats going to help.

Good luck to all those looking at a layoff, its scary. I have a young family, and will most likely be let go next week. Hopefully we get airborne again in short order.

I have an ask for all those on here: be compassionate, be encouraging, stop with the petty bickering. its time to step up our game, tighten our belts, and yes get along.

Be safe, stay healthy.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

KAG wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:44 am
I have an ask for all those on here: be compassionate, be encouraging, stop with the petty bickering. its time to step up our game, tighten our belts, and yes get along.

Be safe, stay healthy.
+1

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

A big unknown for the return to work for Sunwing pilots has to be what happens in Europe. A fair chunk of their group spends the summer on extended charter operations over there and I'd be shocked if those flights weren't cut back a ton.

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

I know for me and most people my age 40ish, the minute this is over I'm living my best life. This is like being grounded as a kid, the minute that you where let out, you went flying out of the house like a bomb of energy. I feel once we are through this, people are going to be ready to live and travel. Not afraid.of terrorists like 9/11.

I dont think this ends until we have a vaccine though.

Good luck all..

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

A lot of 703 operators are doing layoffs as well...let's hope the economy's gonna recover within a year.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Any young pilots on here, go get a northern job now. I rode out the 911 crash with ease flying king airs. the north will not suffer like the rest of the country - medivac, sched service into the reserves will go on. grab a turbo prop job and honestly enjoy some actual fun flying.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

I have seen 4 industry downturns. This one will be massive. It will take out everything from Float Operations to Wide Body Jet jobs and it will take a decade to recover, if it ever does return to the level we were at. Peoples investments are gone, interest rates are zero, so there is nowhere for governments to go in an attempt to ease the pain. This is a depression. The question now is not will people still be pilots. The question is. Will people be able to afford food? Will social order collapse? People have not started to miss paychecks yet. Revisit this thread in a month.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Unfortunately I think you are right

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

phillyfan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:40 am I have seen 4 industry downturns. This one will be massive. It will take out everything from Float Operations to Wide Body Jet jobs and it will take a decade to recover, if it ever does return to the level we were at. Peoples investments are gone, interest rates are zero, so there is nowhere for governments to go in an attempt to ease the pain. This is a depression. The question now is not will people still be pilots. The question is. Will people be able to afford food? Will social order collapse? People have not started to miss paychecks yet. Revisit this thread in a month.
I disagree, while the world collectively presses pause, the same people with the same dreams, drives and skills will be there to start up the demand driven engines of world trade once we get a handle on this like with a vaccine. The world will look different due to the eye popping levels of debt that are out there, but it seems everyone is on the same page. The world is a much different place then 1928.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

phillyfan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:40 am I have seen 4 industry downturns. This one will be massive. It will take out everything from Float Operations to Wide Body Jet jobs and it will take a decade to recover, if it ever does return to the level we were at. Peoples investments are gone, interest rates are zero, so there is nowhere for governments to go in an attempt to ease the pain. This is a depression. The question now is not will people still be pilots. The question is. Will people be able to afford food? Will social order collapse? People have not started to miss paychecks yet. Revisit this thread in a month.
This is by the far the largest downturn in aviation in history. It's a demand suppression though, and will bounce back quickly in a few months once the Covid 19 virus is under control. V shaped bottom and a buying opportunity of a lifetime in the markets.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

tbaylx wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:42 pm
This is by the far the largest downturn in aviation in history. It's a demand suppression though, and will bounce back quickly in a few months once the Covid 19 virus is under control. V shaped bottom and a buying opportunity of a lifetime in the markets.

100%. It may trigger a small recession but nothing that had an underlying economic cause.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Did I just hear what I thought?

It's not for me to say. But unreal. I didn't think I'd see that... Let's put this behind us. I know it means nothing, but best hopes guys.

gustind
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by gustind »

Edited.

Last edited by gustind on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel Gustin
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Yup just heard. Dang.

Says they will try to do other voluntary stuff first.

Maybe some of the original "owners" who sold their millions of dollars of stock can go enjoy the lakehouse permanently.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

What bothers me is that the of 2 curves we keep seeing, the first one more people die, but it's over quickly. The second one, the health care system has time to cope but it drags on 3 times as long. We're literally sacrificing the good of the many for the needs of the few. Shitty catch 22 to be in.

Return to “General Comments”