Bush Jobs - Northern Ontario

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Bush Jobs - Northern Ontario

Post by 5 And Below »

Hey everyone,

I'm graduating from flight school in the near future. I want to get a job in the bush. I've lived an outdoors lifestyle my entire life and love fishing, hiking etc. I want to combine my desire of building PIC time with an awesome and fun job! I was considering Wilderness North and am currently researching other float operators. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these jobs with 250 hours. I know wilderness hires onto the 208 in Nakia and then beaver in the summer. Any info on this topic would be great!

Thanks and happy flying :)
---------- ADS -----------

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Bush Jobs - Northern Ontario

Post by porcsord »

Oh you sweet summer child.

3 months ago, I would have a myriad of suggestions for you for flying bush planes in Ontario. Now though.... apply everywhere and take anything that will offer you something. And by something I don't mean a seat in an airplane, I mean ramp, dispatch, grooming... anything that gets you close to an airplane. Do your job well, and don't bitch about being over qualified for the position. Eventually you'll land yourself in a seat, but it's not going to be anytime soon. Unless my extreme pessimism is way off base with the state of the industry with COVID19, in which case: Demand a seat in a caravan, and don't settle for less.

PC

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

porcsord wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:35 pm Oh you sweet summer child.

3 months ago, I would have a myriad of suggestions for you for flying bush planes in Ontario. Now though.... apply everywhere and take anything that will offer you something. And by something I don't mean a seat in an airplane, I mean ramp, dispatch, grooming... anything that gets you close to an airplane. Do your job well, and don't bitch about being over qualified for the position. Eventually you'll land yourself in a seat, but it's not going to be anytime soon. Unless my extreme pessimism is way off base with the state of the industry with COVID19, in which case: Demand a seat in a caravan, and don't settle for less.

PC
Thanks for info. Yeah I totally agree with you..... I would be more than willing to work the ramp for a year or more if thats what it takes. I just want to get something.

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

I should also mention that I am not looing to build hours quick and move on. I'm not so keen on the airline lifestyle yet in my life and as mentioned I love the bush flying. I heard wilderness even does Indo ops which would be an amazing experience once I have the hours and the industry picks up again

P180
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by P180 »

This is going to be a bad year for small bush operators .With the borders closed I would think if not more 50% tourist that go fishing are from the U.S. .I Think a few operators will be closing there doors this year.But I'm sure hope I am very wrong.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

P180 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:46 am I Think a few operators will be closing there doors this year.But I'm sure hope I am very wrong.
I think they will have to open the doors in the spring before they can close them.

I'm thinking a significant number will not open the doors, and there will be a fair number of floatplanes left on the beach with the ice out.

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

Ya I agree. I am trying to get in at wilderness as a rampie if I can even to get my foot in the door

5 And Below
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 5 And Below »

Also am considering North Star. I realize that I cannot be picky in times like these thats for sure

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

You only want ONE job. It may not come right away. Don't let the economy or anything else stop you. Once upon a time, well meaning, nice people told me not to quit my day job. I didn't listen, and it was hard - took two years to get flying as a job - but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Tourism is currently shut down, there will still be a couple of essential projects but hiring will be nil. If you can get a job, period, you're doing good.

There are going to be a lot of overqualified applicants now looking to keep the rust off too.

Check back next year, hopefully we'll have this shit sorted out by then.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

5 And Below wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:11 pm Also am considering North Star. I realize that I cannot be picky in times like these thats for sure
That's the ticket right there. If you can at least score an interview, be sure to mention that you want to work there because you're not picky. That's the kind of go-getter attitude that has "upper management" written all over it!

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Wow, this thread takes me back to 9/11!😢

Keep the dirty side down.
flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

HAHAHHAHA, this made me laugh hard.
porcsord wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:35 pm Oh you sweet summer child.
PC

BBQ Chips
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BBQ Chips »

tasev1
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tasev1 »

What did you give up to do it? I'm 38 and looking for a career change...now, obviously a lot has changed this year even for me. But I have "stuff" at home I'm not willing to let go of.

My ideal job puts me in a place where I can actually remain with my current company on a part time basis, but that also means getting "lucky" and finding something in a a city.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Basically, you go wherever the jobs are. YMMV but you will find that balancing structured southern city life with Bush flying is not the norm, Instructing excepted. People who succeed in this business do not sit on the fence and work just as hard getting work, as they do actually working. They go for it - for a new life of adventure and fascinating people. And animals, some of which, don't bite.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Thats the biggest part, especially in these times. In my experience, as nice as it would be to stay in a large city and work you will not succeed as much or as fast as the road warriors who go to the north and work the crappy ramp jobs and start flying quicker.
tasev1 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:07 pm My ideal job puts me in a place where I can actually remain with my current company on a part time basis, but that also means getting "lucky" and finding something in a a city.

Return to “General Comments”