Canadian ATPL to EASA ATPL

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

randompilot123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Canadian ATPL to EASA ATPL

Post by randompilot123 »

Good day,

I was looking for people to message me that have been through the process of converting their Canadian ATPL to an EASA ATPL. I'm thinking of using my free time to study for the 14 exams. I'd just like to hear about your story and where did you go to complete the process. (how much did it cost, would you do it again, if there's any online option that you know about, what would you do differently, etc.)

Thank you,
---------- ADS -----------

Otto Pilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Canadian ATPL to EASA ATPL

Post by Otto Pilot »

If you want to shoot me this info as well that would be much appreciated!

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I did this entire process in 2017 and wrote a fair bit about it elsewhere on this site if you search. Apologies, but not going to write a bunch of separate messages privately.

While I commend your ambition to spend your downtime doing something constructive, I should point out that until borders and air travel open up again, you won't be able to write any exams. The exams can only be written in person, not online. And I assume the exam centres themselves are closed until further notice as well.

Still, if you're keen on it I'm happy to pass along the process again as God knows I have the time. But the first steps depend on a few things:

- Which EASA country are you intending to do the conversion through? The country of issue for the license is the country that issues your Class 1 medical. You do not need the medical to write exams, you will of course need it for the skills test and to hold the license. I did mine through the UK CAA, whom I chose because the UK CAA had the most flexible exam schedule with multiple exam centres, which I needed to complete them while working full-time. This is not really a valid option now due to Brexit and the virus. I've since converted my UK CAA to a Irish CAA license which I now hold, was fairly easy as both countries are presently in the EU and EASA. I wanted to make sure I wouldn't lose my EASA license no matter what the UK did. When you find out how hard the conversion process is, you'll understand why.

- What is the longterm purpose for obtaining the license: ie which EU country do you perhaps foresee working in? If it is a (post-Brexit) EU country there's no point in doing it through the UK now, as with the travel restrictions etc it's 99% unlikely you could complete it before the end of the year and convert it, when the UK leaves the EU and presumably EASA for good. The selection of the country of licensing issue is quite critical. While the EASA exams are all in English, the administration of them of course would be in the language of the country administering them, and smaller countries may have very limited exam sitting times which may be a factor when it comes time to write. (Assuming that one day, they open again!)

- How much experience do you have? There is no consideration given for it per se, but in the UK at least it does decide whether or not you can just self-study for the exams and then write them, as opposed to having to go through an Approved Training Organization (ATO) formal groundschool, who then recommends you for exams as they deem you sufficiently prepared. If you don't have the waiver for experience, you cannot sit the exams without an ATO recommendation. This in itself is not a terrible thing - if you have little experience you probably won't pass without a formal groundschool anyway. In my situation I actually would have preferred a groundschool to ram the nonsense into my head faster, but I just couldn't take that much time off so it was all self-study (and I'm proud to say I passed all exams on the 1st attempt!) :mrgreen:

As you can see it is a complicated endeavour with a need to pay careful attention to the order of the steps. I won't even bother getting into the costs (ridiculously expensive) and time (painfully long) it will take yet, as I can't answer that accurately without knowing where someone is starting from and how they intend to proceed. The process is an illustration of Europe itself: needlessly, wastefully bureaucratic, totally disorganized, maddeningly inconsistent, laughably inept, and thoroughly corrupt. Still, I love (certain) places here! :lol:

So if you're STILL masochistically wanting to start preparing - and believe me you cannot study TOO much - THE bible of reference knowledge you need is this: "EASA Professional Pilot Studies" by Phil Croucher. It has EVERYTHING you need as reference. I tried some flashier resources like PadPilot, and every ATO wants to sell you their (crazy-expensive) reference resources as well, but this book covers all of the theory. $50 USD for the digital version I think. Best money you'll spend. Author revises it regularly, so don't screw him and cheap out with a pirated old copy, there's no point. Makes the Canadian ATPL look like a joke.

EASA Professional Pilot Studies by Phil Croucher

That's the reference. Then it's a matter of grinding through the question banks and practice exams. I used two services:

Bristol Groundschool Online

This one is more UK-centric but still has all the questions in the bank. Requires an internet connection. 1 Year subscription £160.

AviationExam

Encompasses all of the EU, and has a very slick iPad app that doesn't require an internet connection. Year's subscription to the whole bank of 15,000 questions for €150. If only getting one I'd probably get this one, the app is quite amazing for doing practice exams. Both subscriptions have detailed explanations for each question along with instructors and other students you can consult with. I think they both have free trials as well.

As I said, both these outfits will try and promote their own reference material. Don't need them, the book listed above will cover it ALL. Get that and a question bank subscription and you'll fill every moment of social isolation forever.

Here's a couple of screenshots from the AviationExam app displaying how students feel about some of the questions, one to give you an idea of what you're up against, and the joys of messing with non-native English speakers... :lol:

Have funnnnnnnn...! :P

easa-sumsitup copy.jpg
easa-sumsitup copy.jpg (15.41 KiB) Viewed 4221 times

Attachments
funquestion.jpg
funquestion.jpg (93.47 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
penetrate.jpg
penetrate.jpg (91.28 KiB) Viewed 4221 times
I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Zlip
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Zlip »

I want to do it too. Started earlier this year by doing an EASA english exam, which was really easy but mandatory (yes, event if you are canadian and even if you hold an english proficiency on your licence).

What complexintentions said is very accurate. I would like just to add some info.

I wanted to do it in France: well too complicated and expensive (90e per exam).

England: brexit in progress so, not sure if you'll be able to convert to an EASA licence.

Austria: that's the one I choose. I just have to fill the basic recommandations on one page PDF. Very easy AND they have an ATO in Florida (70 US per exam).

Someone else experience: https://www.aviationexam.com/forum/mess ... opicID=117

Don't forget about the aircraft you want to convert with. There isn't many Dash-8 100/300 TRE in Europe for example. Also, don't forget that, there is around 90 000+ pilots looking for jobs in Europe. That's why my project is on stand by.

Wish you luck !

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I have UK citizenship, so I looked at doing it in Ireland, however the costs(you can't take all the tests at once(they told me one a week), so hotel airfare food for 3 months........long story short, I didn't do it though i have TCAA/FAA/CASA licenses

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

rigpiggy wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:24 pm I have UK citizenship, so I looked at doing it in Ireland, however the costs(you can't take all the tests at once(they told me one a week), so hotel airfare food for 3 months........long story short, I didn't do it though i have TCAA/FAA/CASA licenses
Interesting, I didn't think it would be THAT restrictive in Ireland. Why would you not do it in the UK, especially with citizenship? (At the time, not now of course.) I know in the UK they don't recommend taking them all at once but I don't think they restrict it - heck, it's just more revenue to them (£69/exam at the time I wrote) if you fail some a couple times. One guy who was there (UK CAA at LGW) was doing all 14 in a week, at two exam locations to get enough slots - he had traveled from South America and couldn't afford the time off and travel otherwise. Don't know if he was successful. My head would have exploded if I tried that.

I did mine in 4 sessions across 7 months: 5, 3, 3, 3. Would do one in the morning, one in the afternoon for 2-3 days. Four trips for exams. Plus one trip for the initial medical. Another trip to Berlin to do the LST with Cockpit4U (B777-200LR). You can do the LST at any EASA member state. Boeing Training Services at LGW and LHR were, like most things in the UK, spectacularly unhelpful but C4U was utterly superb. From Germany back to the UK to do the English Proficiency test mentioned, a Radio Telephony Exam (!), a HF exam (!!), and then dumped a massive stack of paperwork on the UK CAA for the application. At some point you also need to get a license verification of your TC ATPL, which can be a bit of a hassle. It just goes on and on and mostly seems to involve pulling out your credit card. :mrgreen:

The whole process took about 1 year all told, but I was doing it self-study while working full-time so could certainly be done faster if one was doing a concentrated groundschool at an ATO. I was on a commuting contract so had a large block of days off every month to make the multiple trips.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

What about that place in Spain? Doesn't cost that much to hang around down there, and of course, the weather is always good.

Return to “General Comments”