When do you think flying will be back to february 2020 level

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

When do you think flying will be back to february 2020 level

6 months
4%
1 year
15%
2 years
32%
3 years
23%
4 years
7%
5 years
6%
between 5 and 10 years
5%
more than 10 years
3%
never
3%

Total votes: 346

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: When do you think flying will be back to february 2020 level

Post by florch »

If I'm able to hold 2 ideas in my head at the same time - that the disease is serious AND that the longer the economy is idled, the harder the recovery which will eventually result in serious tax shortfalls for heavy spending governments. Some people think there will be higher taxes to follow and maybe, but not right away because that pulls stimulus out of the system which is the point of all these handouts. We will see inflation first.

Our sector will be one of the last to get the full green light. Business travel has been pushed towards online meetings. They were headed that way anyway, but because that tech has existed in some form for years, I think most business travel will return. Some travelers will be affected by income loss for a while, and others will be fine. Lots of people are mitigating their problems by tightening their spending. Retirees, gov't workers and a few other sectors haven't missed a pay cheque. Medical professionals will take a much deserved break at some point.

I've seen a few posters longing to return to a higher class of traveler. It boggles my mind that someone could be so stuck up that they care whose money they take or what kind of person they serve or that they feel fit to decide if such people are making wise spending decisions. If people want to spend their hard earned money to come on my plane, they will be welcomed warmly. I believe most of us at least act that way. Without democratized travel this industry is just a luxury when we've been trying for years to make it a part of the infrastructure that serves everyone. How is it in a pilot's interest not to supply that service?

I voted 3 years for a full return. Might be just 2. Fundamentals were decent heading into the storm.
---------- ADS -----------

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

GATRKGA wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:55 pm I think one thing a lot of people have to remember is this.

The majority of people that fly on planes for leisure, live for next month. It’s why all of them need to be bailed out when they lose their jobs. No one actually has savings. And anything remotely attached to entertainment is 99% on the credit card or line of credit.

So for those that say people won’t fly cause of being broke, I wouldn’t be so quick to jump on that opinion.

I think you’re going to see record spending on credit cards when people are freed from their jail cells and leisure travel will be one of the first to spring back up. Don’t forget the #yolo generation will do anything to keep their Instagram page pretty and “baller.” Even if they’re on the brink of bankruptcy. Which as we just saw the government demonstrate, they won’t let happen anyway with all the subsidies and deferral programs.

Case in point? Everyone was contributing to the booming travel market without enough money to whether next months covid19 in February. They will be back flying shortly.

Hope I’m right, so that we can all be flying soon.
I love the shit talking about the "yolo generation" here but it's like everyone forgets all of the boomers who took home equity loans thinking the market would never catch up with them

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

We will have a much better idea in June.

By then the Governments "go forward" plan will be clearer, as will actual morbidity rates which seem on the decline. We will have come a long way in a month. The "at risk" will be properly isolated and monitored, which is huge.

A bit of "herd immunity" will have been attained, and we will be much closer to "short term help" in the form of effective antibodies for emergency use. We will also be closer to "quick testing", which will be a massive leap forward.

An effective vaccine is still a ways off, unless those who have agreed to participate in the clinical trials allow themselves to be infected intentionally in small increments. This could be done on the very healthy, and would shave 6 months off the search. If they offered healthy individuals $20,000 (tax exempt) to participate in these trials, they would be breaking down the doors. They would be labeled as heros and would save many thousands of lives. It would never happen though.

160tonoaha
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 160tonoaha »

gtappl wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:10 pm
GATRKGA wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:55 pm I think one thing a lot of people have to remember is this.

The majority of people that fly on planes for leisure, live for next month. It’s why all of them need to be bailed out when they lose their jobs. No one actually has savings. And anything remotely attached to entertainment is 99% on the credit card or line of credit.

So for those that say people won’t fly cause of being broke, I wouldn’t be so quick to jump on that opinion.

I think you’re going to see record spending on credit cards when people are freed from their jail cells and leisure travel will be one of the first to spring back up. Don’t forget the #yolo generation will do anything to keep their Instagram page pretty and “baller.” Even if they’re on the brink of bankruptcy. Which as we just saw the government demonstrate, they won’t let happen anyway with all the subsidies and deferral programs.

Case in point? Everyone was contributing to the booming travel market without enough money to whether next months covid19 in February. They will be back flying shortly.

Hope I’m right, so that we can all be flying soon.
I love the shit talking about the "yolo generation" here but it's like everyone forgets all of the boomers who took home equity loans thinking the market would never catch up with them
Triggered? :lol:

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

The people saying how virtual meetings are the future and working from home is the new normal forget one thing.. Productivity goes way down. People simply don't get as much done at home vs being in the office. So when things get back to normal people will travel for in person meetings and work because that is how things get done. On top of that people like to vacation and like others have said will forget about this and carry on eventually. The real question is how long for the current state of things to return to normal levels. Frankly its hard to say until we see how the re opening the economy plans go in respective provinces. Then, the question about how the rest of the world recovers. However I think people saying regional carriers wont hire until 2025 is a little nuts.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I give it 2-3 years....... but the economic damage has yet to be seen. When Justin keeps printing $$$ and paying everyone a few grand a month to stay home: That isn’t sustainable and sooner or later the chickens will come home to roost.

Let’s Go Brandon
780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:54 pm I give it 2-3 years....... but the economic damage has yet to be seen. When Justin keeps printing $$$ and paying everyone a few grand a month to stay home: That isn’t sustainable and sooner or later the chickens will come home to roost.
100% agree with you. Don't wanna get political but eventually the majority will say enough and get people back to work. If we keep doing this get ready to see a sub 60 cent loonie.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Aux1 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:34 pm
BigQ wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:00 pm Same death rates as the flu, as of April 25.
“I mean people always say, 'Well, the flu does this, the flu does that,'” Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), said Wednesday during a hearing before the House Oversight and Reform Committee.
“The flu has a mortality rate of 0.1 percent. This has a mortality rate of 10 times that."

And then there are the rows of refrigerated morgue trucks...
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mi ... -19-deaths

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... yes-by-far

It's not like the flu bro.
Sure it is... if the flu was accurately tracked and differentially diagnosed and reported and published by the media daily or hourly.

The CDC can’t even tell you how many flu deaths there are in the US. Their annual flu burden estimates are pretty much in line with COVID-19. There’s also talk of COVID-19 numbers getting boosted to help open the floodgates of cash. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but I’ve seen similar shenanigans in other publicly funded institutions.

Rows of bodies do make for striking imagery. But this still doesn’t hold a candle to cancer or stroke or heart diseases... and is also roughly comparable to automobile accidents and suicides—things that aren’t quite cute enough for the media to get their ratings up unless they are associated with a single event. Where are rows of morgue trucks for the 600,000 Americans who will die from cancer this year? That’s the total US COVID deaths every month just from that. lol.. the centre aisles are still the most dangerous aspect of going to the grocery store.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

Why aren’t there lines of refrigerated trucks for cancer and flu deaths but there are for COVID??

Going for the deck at corner
Aux1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aux1 »

iflyforpie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:13 pm Sure it is... if the flu was accurately tracked and differentially diagnosed and reported and published by the media daily or hourly.
...Flat-Earther?

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

AuxBatOn wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:25 pm Why aren’t there lines of refrigerated trucks for cancer and flu deaths but there are for COVID??
AuxBatOn wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:25 pm Why aren’t there lines of refrigerated trucks for cancer and flu deaths but there are for COVID??
Good point. Lots of bodies can pile up quickly, as we have seen. I feel like that makes it pretty obvious how real this pandemic is, but some people around here will still say “just bring in more refrigerator trucks, it’s worth it to save the economy.”

Anyways, lots of damage is already done. As individual states begin trial runs of lesser restrictions, we will see if hospitals can keep up. Hopefully sooner, rather than later, someone will find a good balance, and everyone else can follow suit. The economy is not like a light switch anyways, and they can’t just “turn it back on” like nothing happened.

It’s difficult for everyone to evenly understand. You have angry, stressed out, unemployed people on one side, and people like the top Manhattan ER doc commuting suicide from overwork on the other. It’s a moral dilemma and there is no right answer, so that’s why finding a balance will be critical. Somewhere between mass graves and mass suicides, right? Right. That moral dilemma is the spearhead of any pandemic, and regardless of all the bickering, finger-pointing, and speculating, we can already see the civil damage it does.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

iflyforpie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:13 pm [But this still doesn’t hold a candle to cancer or stroke or heart diseases... and is also roughly comparable to automobile accidents and suicides
Well, cancer, stroke, heart disease, car accidents and suicides are not contagious diseases. You won't have a stroke from being within 6 feet of someone who is having one. And let's not act is if those things have not caused permanent restrictions to the way we live our lives.
Speaking of car accidents, there was a time when wearing a seatbelt was optional. Now if you don't, you'll be subject to a heavy fine, even if you were conforming to every other aspect of the driving laws and not endangering anyone else.
It used to be that you could smoke virtually anywhere, unrestricted: bars, restaurants, airplanes, offices, hospitals, wherever. Cigarettes were cheap and plentiful; until we all clued in that they caused cancer, stroke and heart disease. Now if you buy cigarettes, you'll pay a massive tax. And once you've paid that tax, you are severely restricted as to where you can consume them. Nowadays, people are so concerned about the negative health effects of tobacco smoke on the general population that you won't even be able to enjoy your cigarettes within 10-30 feet of an entrance to a building. People didn't like it at the time when these sorts of restrictions came into force, but with the benefit of hindsight we can see that it was for the best. People who don't want to smoke shouldn't be subjected to inhaling it because you want to. For the good of the general population who do not want to suffer the negative health effects of smoking, your right to poison yourself comes with restrictions.
Coronavirus isn't quite like that, but it might be worse. NO ONE wants to suffer from it. But it's not like you can see where it's at and avoid it. A person carrying the virus isn't exhaling a cloud of smoke. We've taken steps in the past to protect people from things like cigarette smoke and we have to do the same now with covid. I'm not saying that what we're doing at the moment is right or wrong, I don't know enough about the spread and control of contagious diseases to be qualified to say that. (As I suspect most of us PILOTS are not, no matter how smart we are as armchair experts.) You say it's roughly comparable to car accidents and suicide. So what? We still take steps to try to prevent those. And we shouldn't accept a doubling of those numbers of fatalities simply because to do otherwise is inconvenient.

phillyfan
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by phillyfan »

It will never return. Business travel alone will never return.
There are European countries working on Laws that will ensure people work from home after this is over.

If it returns it wont be in any of our lifetimes.

The real question is how long can the Government continue to pay Airline Staff the $847 a week beefed up welfare? Tourism and air travel will be absolutely devastated. The tourism shoe has not even dropped yet. Just think of the Global tourism industry that will be destroyed in the Northern Hemisphere this summer. The pain of this has not even begun.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

phillyfan wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:52 am It will never return. Business travel alone will never return.
There are European countries working on Laws that will ensure people work from home after this is over.

The real question is how long can the Government continue to pay Airline Staff the $847 a week beefed up welfare? Tourism and air travel will be absolutely devastated. The tourism shoe has not even dropped yet. Just think of the Global tourism industry that will be destroyed in the Northern Hemisphere this summer. The pain of this has not even begun.
Lol! Stop reading MSN news; it’s gonna be better for your mental health.
For the last 3 years I gave about 120 000$ per year income taxes to the government, no kids and I go to private healthcare...I don’t cost too much to the system....847$ GROSS per week in return is a pure joke!

Last edited by FL320 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:35 am, edited 6 times in total.
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

780Pilot wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:18 pm 100% agree with you. Don't wanna get political but eventually the majority will say enough and get people back to work. If we keep doing this get ready to see a sub 60 cent loonie.
Loonie pricing is driven by oil price more than anything else. As far as the printing of new money happening right now, US is printing at a far higher rate than Canada, so if anything it will point to a stronger loonie over time if you are just measuring against the greenaback. Considering the direction of oil the last couple of weeks, loonie has been holding it's own pretty well. It rode down with oil thru March, then when the US started printing in trillion dollar increments, loonie actually started getting stronger again.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

goldeneagle wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:08 am
780Pilot wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:18 pm 100% agree with you. Don't wanna get political but eventually the majority will say enough and get people back to work. If we keep doing this get ready to see a sub 60 cent loonie.
Loonie pricing is driven by oil price more than anything else. As far as the printing of new money happening right now, US is printing at a far higher rate than Canada, so if anything it will point to a stronger loonie over time if you are just measuring against the greenaback. Considering the direction of oil the last couple of weeks, loonie has been holding it's own pretty well. It rode down with oil thru March, then when the US started printing in trillion dollar increments, loonie actually started getting stronger again.
I think currently Canada has spent more on a per capita basis. If the US keeps passing massive spending bills for COVID it will surpass us eventually. The population helps them for sure.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

780Pilot wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:31 am I think currently Canada has spent more on a per capita basis
Go tally the numbers, you'll find you are wrong. Yes, Canada has put more directly into the pockets of workers, but we haven't put trillions of dollars into propping up bond markets which indirectly juices the stock markets. The level of QE suddenly unleashed in the US is astounding, it's more than they did for Y2K and look at history, how that ran up the Nasdaq numbers.

But, it aint over till it's over, and this rodeo is far from over. Me thinks donny will find a few more trillions to dump into juicing the markets as the election approaches, but time will tell.

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

goldeneagle wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:13 am
780Pilot wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:31 am I think currently Canada has spent more on a per capita basis
Go tally the numbers, you'll find you are wrong. Yes, Canada has put more directly into the pockets of workers, but we haven't put trillions of dollars into propping up bond markets which indirectly juices the stock markets. The level of QE suddenly unleashed in the US is astounding, it's more than they did for Y2K and look at history, how that ran up the Nasdaq numbers.

But, it aint over till it's over, and this rodeo is far from over. Me thinks donny will find a few more trillions to dump into juicing the markets as the election approaches, but time will tell.
Thx for the info!

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

phillyfan wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:52 am It will never return. Business travel alone will never return.

What do you say all the flying students should do now?

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

780Pilot wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:10 pm The people saying how virtual meetings are the future and working from home is the new normal forget one thing.. Productivity goes way down.
I guess that depends a lot on your people. My company has been full telecommute since the late 90's. We have never had a physical office, and employees all work from home. If your idea of 'work from home' means using a laptop on the couch for a couple hours a day, then I would agree, folks wont be productive that way. OTOH, folks that set up a proper environment at home will normally be more productive than in an office setup. There are less distractions and they dont have the aggravation of commuting, battling for parking, yadda yadda.

Then again, it does depend on what your business is as well. We have software developers, hardware design, sales and accounting, all of which can be done in a virtual office environment. Wont work so well for folks that have jobs which require some form of 'hands on'.

Return to “General Comments”