WestJet at YHZ

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Fullflap
Rank 1
Rank 1

WestJet at YHZ

Post by Fullflap »

I heard that Westjet had some problems at YHZ last night. Don't have many details and reports so far are unconfirmed. I heard they are short a nose gear, can anyone confirm or offer more details.

FF
---------- ADS -----------

The Hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Hammer »

I heard it was a wing tip strike!!! YHZ wx was foggy xmas day.

wooden spoon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by wooden spoon »

i think the wingtip.had a pax on today who said he was on the westjet flight and they struck a wingtip.no other details.it was pretty soupy last night.

Disco Stu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Disco Stu »

"The South will boogie again."
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I would have thought a nacelle would strike before a wingtip. Interesting.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

%#!@ that was close to disaster :!:

55+
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 55+ »

complexintentions wrote:I would have thought a nacelle would strike before a wingtip. Interesting.
Musta had a good angle of bank to strike a wingtip :shock:

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twinpratts »

J31 wrote:%#!@ that was close to disaster :!:
Yeah... life is so unsafe... they should ground all the airplanes (worldwide, i mean) since it was close to being another Hindenberg incident :shock:

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

So are you saying the opposite then, we should just shrug our shoulders and say oh well, a wingtip strike on landing in a -700 is no big deal?! I still say I'll be very interested to know what kind of attitude it would have to be in, for the tip of a wing to be the first thing to strike the ground. Don't know what it would take for something to qualify as a disaster for you, but a 737 cartwheeling down the runway would do it for me... :wink:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
tripleseven
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tripleseven »

I think you would have to have a pretty high deck angle to strike a wingtip before a pod, wouldn't you?. In any case, the crew probably had to make a stop at the local Walmart for some new shorts!

737 Mech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 737 Mech »

The WestJet -700 is in the CanJet hangar under repair. The winglet is off and being replaced, the L/H outboard "canoe" was damaged and being replaced and the #1 Slat is ground down and being replaced, no other damage as far as I know.

that was close...........

tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by tonysoprano »

Wx in the maritimes is very peculiar as many of you know. It is possible to have strong winds in near zero vis. Any of you had this experience? I bet many have. Still though, must have been something to have a big bird like that banking so much so close to the ground. Reminds me of our RJ in Freddie. This one could have been much worse. Glad to see no-one hurt.

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

[quote="tonysoprano"]Wx in the maritimes is very peculiar as many of you know. It is possible to have strong winds in near zero vis. Any of you had this experience? quote]

The only place I know of is Torbay, the rest pale by comparison. Maritime flying can be taxing and very unforgiving.

WJ seems to be having various incidents of late, this one is going to be hard to keep out of the media..

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

737 Mech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 737 Mech »

I wonder if the pilot will be axed....why not a Go-around? I am not a pilot and I don't have all the info on this matter but it seem a bit odd to bank so steeply so low........thoughts?

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

twinpratts wrote:
Yeah... life is so unsafe... they should ground all the airplanes (worldwide, i mean) since it was close to being another Hindenberg incident :shock:
So are you saying the opposite then, we should just shrug our shoulders and say oh well, a wingtip strike on landing in a -700 is no big deal?!

I want to see how much the lawyers will spin it with remarks like that and lets see what they claim the "trauma" to be at.

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

[quote="cyyz

I want to see how much the lawyers will spin it with remarks like that and lets see what they claim the "trauma" to be at.[/quote]

AC had cancelled some flights into Halifax and another one was holding due to weather when the incident occurred. The lawyers will put a spin on it that's for sure.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

twinpratts wrote:
Ok maybe “Disaster” is too strong of a word but you have to admit that things went bad for that crew. They managed to pull it together with only some bent metal and shredded composites :oops: . Hats off to Westjet for dealing with in a professional manner.

I sincerely hope there are no lawsuits over this incident :roll: .

It was a foggy night in Halifax with several aircraft missing on runway 23 Cat II. At the time the RVR for rwy 23 was below 1200 but rwy 14 was right at 1200. A couple of Jazz RJ’s landed on rwy 14 prior to the Westjet flight. As Rebel said an Air Canada flight was holding waiting for the RVR’s to pick up.

A Question for the AC guys: do you limit CAT I landings to 1600 RVR or better?

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

Oh I think the lawyers are going to use stronger language then “disaster” in their lawsuits.

Return to “General Comments”