about English test

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

touken1996
Rank 0
Rank 0

about English test

Post by touken1996 »

I have a license for PPL of America
I'm planning to go to Canada to take a CPL
and I'm a Japanese so do I need to take a English test in Canada?
---------- ADS -----------

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: about English test

Post by Rowdy »

You will have to show proficiency in either of our National languages. English or French.

Good Luck!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

As Rowdy stated, you'll have to show proficiency. I presume there's a test. Those of us who are native English (or French, I suppose) speakers seem to have had the language proficiency automatically endorsed on the license. I never took a test, and now I have the proficiency added, with no action on my part.

That said, I have, on several occasions, heard on the radio, air traffic controllers deny entry into controlled airspace for a pilot, whose English on the radio seemed poor. So, yes, assure that you are proficient to pass the test, and to actually use the airspace!

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

You like will be exempt if "English Proficient" is endorsed under limitations on your FAA Private when you convert that to Canada. You'll have to take an exam as part of the conversion which will be in English (but no check ride), however.

Some flight schools seem to enforce taking a formal aviation language proficiency demonstration, even though it is not required for native English speakers.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

For student pilots who do not already hold a licence, it is sort-of at the discretion of the Chief Flight Instructor (or freelance instructor) as to who has to take a formal language test. For those who do not, language proficiency is assessed in an "informal language proficiency test" by the PIlot Examiner when you take a flight test.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

Everybody has to show, formally or informally, that they can speak and understand English to an acceptable level.

...laura

praveen4143
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by praveen4143 »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:52 am As Rowdy stated, you'll have to show proficiency. I presume there's a test. Those of us who are native English (or French, I suppose) speakers seem to have had the language proficiency automatically endorsed on the license. I never took a test, and now I have the proficiency added, with no action on my part.

That said, I have, on several occasions, heard on the radio, air traffic controllers deny entry into controlled airspace for a pilot, whose English on the radio seemed poor. So, yes, assure that you are proficient to pass the test, and to actually use the airspace!
I believe anyone who had a license prior to a cut-off date some time around 2007-08 automatically got an English proficiency endorsed on their license. Anyone getting it after that had to do the ALPT (Aviation Language Proficiency Test) via some means of either in-person or over-the-telly interview. The tests have gotten progressively more complex over the years in part due to certain schools trying to circumvent the system by providing students with scripts to read off to pass the test.

The latest update is that the test is waived if you are a Canadian citizen who completed their high school in Canada and can do an "informal demonstration in English/French with the CFI of their FTU or a freelance instructor"
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... ation.html

I also believe all Pilot Examiners are required to make a comment regarding English proficiency on the flight test form on RPP, PPL and CPL tests.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... anual.html

WeatherMaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WeatherMaster »

I am going to jump in here and give some advice to those out there whom English is not your first language.

Please SLOW down and annunciate your words instead of trying to machine-gun a clearance back to ATC. I would rather you take a little more time on the radio and be able to understand you instead of guessing what was said.

Return to “General Comments”