Are You Willing to Help the Industry Recover?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Are You Willing to Help the Industry Recover?

Post by telex »

This is what is being floated right now.

---------- ADS -----------

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Are You Willing to Help the Industry Recover?

Post by ant_321 »

Where is that being floated?

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

3 years of pilot shortage: 10% raise
2 months of covid: 50% pay cut

Sounds about right.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
bring me the horizon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bring me the horizon »

I fixed it
0CF09F23-828D-4278-BEDA-E2B4A0842D7D.jpeg
0CF09F23-828D-4278-BEDA-E2B4A0842D7D.jpeg (145.71 KiB) Viewed 3335 times

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

I hope those arenèt realistic options at some unions.....go get a trade ticket and say peace out aviation....come back when the booms back.

I guess I should write something here.
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Maynard wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:01 am I hope those arenèt realistic options at some unions.....go get a trade ticket and say peace out aviation....come back when the booms back.
You do realize that it takes 4 years to 'go get a trade ticket'.

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

goldeneagle wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:28 am
Maynard wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:01 am I hope those arenèt realistic options at some unions.....go get a trade ticket and say peace out aviation....come back when the booms back.
and 6-12 months to become an airline pilot !

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Indeed but at the end of the day I don't know anyone in the trades that hasn't made a far better living than most pilots. Who would leave a cash cow to aviation where you have little to no job security. Most of the tradesmen I know can make enough money to own an aircraft and fly for fun.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

valleyboy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:10 am

Indeed but at the end of the day I don't know anyone in the trades that hasn't made a far better living than most pilots. Who would leave a cash cow to aviation where you have little to no job security. Most of the tradesmen I know can make enough money to own an aircraft and fly for fun.
You either know some very fortunate trades people or only unfortunate pilots. I have many friends in the trades and outside of the first 3 or 4 years I have been far better off. I now make double most of them. And as for job security, most of them are laid off now just like I am. This is the first time I’ve been laid off, all my friends in trades have been laid off multiple times before, although the layoffs are typically short.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

valleyboy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:10 am

Well you haven't looked very hard. A lot of people trying to get in (you know what's being suggested here) are complaining a lot of things are saturated, and the better stuff is hard to get into.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

it's all about a point of view and where you live remote areas trades people are busy southern Ontario might have a glut of trades people the rest of Ontario not a chance. that's the trouble with living in Ontario the majority of people think it ends around Barrie and related to that carriers in the north ane busy with freight so there are still pilots working and working hard.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

How about stocks at current market value to make up the difference between usual salary and reduced salary? I mean, even the executives are willing to take stocks in lieu of a salary...

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

How about executive compensation is slashed 50% ?

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

Rowdy wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:03 pm How about executive compensation is slashed 50% ?
That will teach them.

Surviving on $5.5 million can be tough.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

valleyboy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:59 pm it's all about a point of view and where you live remote areas trades people are busy southern Ontario might have a glut of trades people the rest of Ontario not a chance. that's the trouble with living in Ontario the majority of people think it ends around Barrie and related to that carriers in the north ane busy with freight so there are still pilots working and working hard.
There is literally a thread here about the majority of pilots being laid off at the "northern operators" Why bullshit about stuff that's so easy to confirm

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

There is literally a thread here about the majority of pilots being laid off at the "northern operators" Why bullshit about stuff that's so easy to confirm
Well no bullshit, I'm talking freight companies and a few small float and ski operators, the guys flying the 1900's and -8 on sked are certainly not working although a few skeds are going flying. Freight is moving passengers are not, just look at the "heave metal" world, all the passenger airlines are coming apart but companies like FedEx are flying. The traditionally scorned part of the industry, freight dogs and the North are faring much better than the passenger group. It is a small group compared to the over all numbers and history does show that the industry is driven by the troughs and crests of the majors. I know pilots that have gone through as many as 5 furloughs during their career. The 70's were bad and many air canada and canadian pacific pilots were on the street. I know this present situation, hands down, is the worst but like other areas there are airlines that are actually working during this event, not many but there are a few. The irony is the freight dog folks are working their bags off and the pax movers are on the street at the same airline. The concerning part is how the companies are handling their collective agreements and out of seniority crews working. That could be a game stopper if the unions dig their heals in. The training costs would be crippling but at the present they can call "essential service" and bypass contracts.Wage concessions will be one of the big items during the recovery and it could take another 10 to 15 years for salaries to come back to present levels.

Not a good time for anyone but the vertical drop from the crest of the wave was more dramatic in the airline industry that was out there and hanging 10. Sad days for sure.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

You could become a professional day trader. Everyone thinks you can pick up how to do it in a month. Easy cash.

The number of new ETrade accounts opened during this period is staggering.

(Please don't do this, seriously)

Return to “General Comments”