Terrible news for the Air Canada work force...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Terrible news for the Air Canada work force...

Post by palebird »

The facts are hard to deny. Numbers do not lie. Where do you come up with "millions worldwide"? Troll.The Canadian government completely over reacted and is still wallowing in despair. It is a national embarrassment and the fallout is just beginning.
---------- ADS -----------

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

palebird wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:57 pm The facts are hard to deny. Numbers do not lie. Where do you come up with "millions worldwide"? Troll.The Canadian government completely over reacted and is still wallowing in despair. It is a national embarrassment and the fallout is just beginning.
Over 310,000 confirmed dead and likely many more than that given the increased numbers of unexplained deaths. All these people palebird have families who are directly, tragically impacted. Those are the people I’m talking about, dead people can’t be convinced of anything. How many people in your family would be upset if you died? I’ve got a small family and I can think of around 15 so, do the math.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

It all political.
In the USA, the Democratic Party realizes that their only hope of beating Trump is if the economy tanks. Give Trump a strong economic record to run on, and he will win. They have a weak candidate, no matter if it’s Biden or Sanders.
The mainstream media knows this as well. That is why MSNBC and CNN are running 24/7 Covid coverage, with the death toll plastered on screen. If people feel unsafe, and unsure, they will be reluctant to get out, get spending, and get travelling. This will slow the economic recovery and weaken’s Trump’s bid for a second term. Once The election is over, and IF Biden wins, one can be sure that there will be a voracious call from the media for Americans to quickly get spending. Politics.
Trump is pushing for reopening for the very same reasons. He needs the economic recovery to begin now. His second term depends on it. Fox News knows this as well.
In Canada, the left is generally calling for not lifting the restrictions. Why? Because it gives Trudeau the opportunity to create his agenda. He has given out millions and sometimes billions of dollars to select voting groups. Students were given 9 Billion! Every senior is to be given 500$! He has tied loans from the federal treasury to how a company undertakes “green” initiative’s. He brought in gun control during a time when there can be no protests. He seems to be using government spending to shape the future path of the economy. This is his agenda. He is doing it as we watch. The public will get use to government stipends, and will howl when they are to be taken away. They will never be taken away.
Politics.Politics.Politics.

OneYonge
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by OneYonge »

Rockie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:49 pm mass infections ala the "herd immunity" crowd will only make this crisis worse and prolong it.
I have not heard about this claim. I thought the idea behind it was take the hit earlier rather than later so it can be over sooner... because it is inevitable when a vaccine appearing anytime soon is a pipe dream.

Stumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stumper »

Rockie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:49 pm
Localizer wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:18 pm The world over reacted and we are all going to suffer for it
My neighbor just lost her mother to the virus, you would have a hard time convincing her and the millions of others around the world that governments overreacted.

Our business depends on two things: a) people feel safe and confident getting on an airplane, and: b) they have the money to spend.

Handing out free viral infections with your pretzels on an airplane is not going to convince anyone to book a ticket, and mass infections ala the "herd immunity" crowd will only make this crisis worse and prolong it. Polls in Canada and the US show the majority of people are uncomfortable opening up without the tools to quickly detect, trace and isolate people who are infected. It confounds me why governments are refusing to get that message and do something about it.
My twin brother died in a car accident. You’d have a hard time convincing me that and many others that the worlds governments should allow travel by automobile. Imagine the lives that could be saved..

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Stumper wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:44 pm My twin brother died in a car accident. You’d have a hard time convincing me that and many others that the worlds governments should allow travel by automobile. Imagine the lives that could be saved..
I am truly sorry to hear that and you have my sympathies. Car accidents are not contageous, if they were you wouldn't see anybody encouraging maximum automobile travel to get all the automobile accidents completed at once would you? Despite automobile accidents not being contageous you do see non-stop effort to make automobile travel more safe.

This persistent comparison of a highly contageous virus to non-contageous things is specious.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

OneYonge wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:45 pm
Rockie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:49 pm mass infections ala the "herd immunity" crowd will only make this crisis worse and prolong it.
I have not heard about this claim. I thought the idea behind it was take the hit earlier rather than later so it can be over sooner... because it is inevitable when a vaccine appearing anytime soon is a pipe dream.
The idea is to contain the virus to manageable levels to minimize infections, deaths, and to not overwhelm health agencies which would cause untold more unnecessary deaths.

Localizer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Localizer »

Ok fair comment. However enlighten us on what “Scheer Nonsense, The Toole , Chopper MacKay” would do better if either was the sitting PM.
Honestly .. I'm not in favour of anyone currently running. I think the truly intelligent people steer clear of the political life which is why we are left with no good options in my opinion. If I could hit the rewind button we'd go back to the Harper days .. I realize all the names you mentioned were his MP's .. but he could lead and he was intelligent. (I'd vote for John Baird if he ran)
My neighbor just lost her mother to the virus, you would have a hard time convincing her and the millions of others around the world that governments overreacted.
A family friend passed on during this pandemic and his death was labeled as "Covid-19" even though he'd been inching his way out the door for months before this virus even hit, and he didn't even test positive, pneumonia was enough to call it Covid-19? It left us all scratching our heads. I feel sorry for your neighbours mother, just like I feel sorry for all the others that have lost the battle with this virus. Please don't confuse me for a heartless bastard, the point I'm making is that we didn't need to shutdown the world. Isolate the vulnerable and keep the world turning. Sweden kept the open sign on and their numbers are no different than any other country that closed.

It doesn't matter now anyways .. what's done is done and we'll live with the consequences of those decisions.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Localizer wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:11 pm Sweden kept the open sign on and their numbers are no different than any other country that closed.
Not true, and drawing conclusions about the Swedish experience compared to say, gun toting rednecks violating every recommendation put out by health officials is invalid. Every country is unique for many different reasons.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/artic ... virus-code

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Rockie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:33 pm Over 310,000 confirmed dead and likely many more than that given the increased numbers of unexplained deaths. All these people palebird have families who are directly, tragically impacted. Those are the people I’m talking about, dead people can’t be convinced of anything. How many people in your family would be upset if you died? I’ve got a small family and I can think of around 15 so, do the math.
Dude, just stop. This is no longer aviation related and you are making yourself look bad.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Rockie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:52 pm
Stumper wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:44 pm My twin brother died in a car accident. You’d have a hard time convincing me that and many others that the worlds governments should allow travel by automobile. Imagine the lives that could be saved..
I am truly sorry to hear that and you have my sympathies. Car accidents are not contageous, if they were you wouldn't see anybody encouraging maximum automobile travel to get all the automobile accidents completed at once would you? Despite automobile accidents not being contageous you do see non-stop effort to make automobile travel more safe.

This persistent comparison of a highly contageous virus to non-contageous things is specious.
Car accidents are contagious. They are transmitted though the movement of automobiles. Stop automobile movement, stop automobile deaths; it’s that simple.

Like the non-stop effort to make automobile travel more safe—without banning automobile travel.. you can also exert non-stop effort in combatting COVID—through isolation of the vulnerable, use of PPE, public education on disease transmission and hand hygiene, and development of a cure or vaccine.

There have been more than a few of the excess deaths attributed to lack of medical care BECAUSE of COVID 19. Scheduled surgeries cancelled and people too afraid to go to emerge—which incidentally are deserted in most hospitals right now.

And all this social distancing crap has done is turn a point to point system into a hub and spoke system. Sure, I don’t see my hairdresser or my financial advisor anymore—but we go to the same grocery stores.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

My Dad loves the Trudeau senior bucks... He's gonna buy a new Scotty Cameron putter.

Rich old guy that totally needs the money... :roll:

How's that pay everyone their $2K and ask questions later going? My friend at the CRA says unqualified people collecting the money is so rampant they will never be able to trace it all back and will write it off.

Students getting paid just because?

Business loans based on your commitment to the environment?

Meanwhile businesses forced closed.

The woman walking her dog gets fined.

The guy protesting gets arrested.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

He's already campaigning. With your money.
Free money for everybody.
Election call coming soon.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
OneYonge
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by OneYonge »

Rockie wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:55 pm
The idea is to contain the virus to manageable levels to minimize infections, deaths, and to not overwhelm health agencies which would cause untold more unnecessary deaths.
That's the flattening the curve bit, but you said having "herd immunity" will prolong the crisis. It just sounds like the opposite of what herd immunity means. In fact "herd immunity" is the point of a vaccine.

By the way, the lockdowns do not minimize the amount of infections, it only means slowing and prolonging the spread for reasons you stated.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Time to watch this....
https://en.as.com/en/2020/05/14/videos/ ... 13362.html

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by MUSKEG »

The generation of pilots that are at the bottom of the ladder will never see aviation as it was in 2019 in their lifetime. The younger generation is scared to death of damn near everything and that will keep enough of them
From flying. If we get back to 50 % in 10 years I’d be surprised. NINTY % of airliners are parked. Anyone need a 737 Max?? Airports will become so inhospitable to satisfy the demands of fearful people that it will make the experience not worth it.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

“So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...fear itself — nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance.”

Franklin Roosevelt. 1933.

Seems very relevant today.
Cheers.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

OneYonge wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:16 pm

That's the flattening the curve bit, but you said having "herd immunity" will prolong the crisis. It just sounds like the opposite of what herd immunity means. In fact "herd immunity" is the point of a vaccine.

By the way, the lockdowns do not minimize the amount of infections, it only means slowing and prolonging the spread for reasons you stated.
You have to understand, Rockie has been highly trained and possesses tremendous innate ability to speak with great confidence and authority on subjects about which he is wholly ignorant. The sad thing is, he actually thinks he’s as knowledgeable and intelligent as he thinks he is..

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

New stats out for Quebec:

90.4% of the Covid deaths are of people aged 70 or older. The youngest people to die are 6 people between the ages of 30-39.

3023 (May 15 stats) of Quebec’s 3483 Covid-19 deaths or 80.4% occurred in long term care facilities or private retirement homes.

That means that 700 people died outside of those facilities and 350 people between ages 30 to 70 died. Who knows what their comorbid conditions were.

And the best strategy they had was to shutdown most economic activity with no idea of the long term consequences on the economy.

Last edited by ALPApolicy on Sun May 17, 2020 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

ALPApolicy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:11 am New stats out for Quebec:

90.4% of the Covid deaths are of people aged 70 or older. The youngest people to die are 6 people between the ages of 30-39.

3023 (May 15 stats) of Quebec’s 3483 Covid-19 deaths or 80.4 occurred in long term care facilities or private retirement homes.

That means that 700 people died outside of those facilities and 350 people between ages 30 to 70 died. Who knows what their comorbid conditions were.

And the best strategy they had was to shutdown most economic activity with no idea of the long term consequences on the economy.
Bingo!

Time for these mandated over restrictive restrictions to be lifted.

Return to “General Comments”