Is it worth it???

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

172pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

flying

Post by 172pilot »

I'm in the same boat as your are, HighFlyin. I have a good desk job, and I'd like to get more education and keep moving up. The pay can be very very good in the desk world if you get into the right field. Enough to own your own new Cessna etc to use on the weekends etc. I love the airport environment and simply just love being at the airport. It's in my blood. But, I'm debating between two points. One, to make money and have enough to afford a good car and house or to take a risk, make very little and see where I end up. But, when I hear of the C3 pilots driving fuel trucks now I have to really think of the reality of aviation. It's a serious toss up. Just have something to fall back on if you do decide to pursue aviation. Get a university degree if you are young and build hours in the summer until you graduate, then you have a safety net.
---------- ADS -----------

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I have been flying for 31 years, and the only airline that is still in existence is AC, and you can only guess if it will last the month:
Canadian Pacific/Canadian
Pacific Western
Time Air
Wardair
Nordair
Quebecaire
Eastern Provincial
C3
Air BC
etc. etc.

Some of the guys still have seniority numbers with other airlines, but lots don't...how many guys sat out multi-year layoffs? How many AC guys are on leave pending layoffs? What happens to the 200,000/year guys if AC goes to the wall? 90,000 at Westjet? Try living on 90,000 in any Canadian city that has an airport - you get about 50,000 to keep; Looked at real estate lately?

I didn't, but if you want to fly, join the military and leave when they put you at a desk and enjoy your (indexed) pension. Or start some business and buy your own plane. I know a banker who flies his own 604...I would never do it again, even though I love it, and I am glad that my kids are more responsible. I rarely attended any family affairs, and the time I spent with my family was not nearly as much as if I was a 9-5er. The sacrifices are enormous, and there are NO guarantees. I got a degree, just in case, and it will get me my own personal burger spatula. How useless is an unemployed pilot???

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
smartass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by smartass »

The CPL was the best $30,000 that I could have ever spent. I got to fly airplanes all over wherever I wanted to go and doing whatever I wanted to do. That being said it was one of the worst investments I could have ever made.

You really have to ask yourself where you want to be 7 years down the road. If you are young enough that 7 years is acceptable to work at 12 - $25,000/yr doing manual labour or possibly flying, then go for it.

That is if after 7 years you don't mind travelling for the rest of your life to stay employed, spending long periods of time away from your family, unsure of where you stand financially come the next year.

If you love to fly you have two choices.

If your sole ambition in life is to fly, get your CPL and fly for a job.
You'll be flying more than you could ever afford to pay for and on aircraft that you'll never be able to afford to rent. It'll be an amazing experience filled with adventure but also filled with frustration and uncertainty.

If you have lots of dreams and ambitions and family is really important to you, go to University and get a good paying job. You can buy a home-built / experimental that'll outperform a registered aircraft for a pretty descent cost now adays. You won't be able to fly as much, but when you fly it'll be on your terms and purely for your enjoyment.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I know a banker who flies his own 604...
Zenair or Challenger? Either one would be cool in it's own way.

My opinion highflyin dude is that if you have to ask, then no it's not worth it. If you try other things and can't live a single day without looking up at the contrails like The Yoyoma does then it is almost inevitable that you will either learn to fly or live with a broken heart. Nothing is wrong with flying recreationally. Most of us will never see a 47 or a 340 anyway.

METO
Rank 0
Rank 0

Gun to Head??

Post by METO »

I guess all the above pilots work for companies that won't let them quit!!

If it don't make dollars, it don't make sense!
mikegtzg
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mikegtzg »

If you can afford the financial challenge, then go for it. To become wealthy as has been said. Trades, small business, even driving a truck will earn you similar or more money. But life is short, so follow your dream. If anything, you will become a very proficient pilot. And you can have plenty of adventures flying your own plane if you end up with another type of job.
You might even be happier. Many people love to go fishing, but if they buy a fishing lodge it will likely become another part of a job.

Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

Co-Joe makes a good point again...

But you have to understand one other important point!!! Adventure and exciting careers CAN be found outside of a cockpit!! The only times I really felt excitment and adventurous was when I was doing stuff I wasn't supposed to be doing in the first place!! Or when something went wrong!!

Hey, let me add a wise word, even if you follow this career and decide to change, it is possible to get back and work at a desk job!! Nothing you will have done will be lost! :roll:

Cheers

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Last night just after dinner I pulled my aircraft out and went for a nice relaxing hour and a half flight. I was thinking to myself, now this is the reward I get for all the frustrations and financial hardships aviation has introduced me to over the years (luckily I had another discipline to fall back on). Smooth air, quiet radios nowhere in particular to go just meandering through the sky. I got thinking I'm not sure how much I would enjoy day after day of having to go from point A to point B flying in crappy weather that I would rather not be out in. Instead I can fly when I want, where I want, stop at places I want and in a machine that I know very well and is properly maintained.

The flying looks great from the outside but I can honestly tell you that a friend of the family who was a senior captain for a major airline told me that when he joined the airlines the fun went right out of flying. He hated it so much he retired early. He’s happier flying a little single tail dragger around then he ever was with the airlines. Ask him about airline flying and you might be surprised to find out it’s just another job after a while. Another AC pilot at our local airport hasn’t got a good thing to say about flying for the airlines but I guess he likes the bragging rights to say “I fly a 767” when sitting around the coffee shop with all the newbie’s.

Last but not least take a good look around and look at the number of people who’ve gambled everything and basically gotten nothing back. I’ve known some really good people over the years that have suffered great financial as well as personal hardships because of this bitch we call aviation. To watch someone lose their marriage and home because they couldn’t make enough to live but were convinced the big job was just around the corner or because they convinced themselves that flying is all they want to do is hard to take. There are lots of others out there trying for the few spots that (may) provide a lifestyle that you envision flying will provide for you so just be prepared. It’s a small pond that’s way, way ,way over stocked!

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

Amen

Image In the business world, the rearview mirror is always clearer than the windshield...W. Buffett
Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

N2, could I ask you what sort of airplane you fly in?
Cheers

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Sent you a PM Yoyoma.

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Last edited by JBI on Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yoyoma
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Yoyoma »

N2 wrote:Sent you a PM Yoyoma.
Got it, replied, Thanks!!

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Hey, 2 years ago I was going back to university to get out of aviation all together when I fell ass backwards into my present job. Literally one well timed phone call and subsequent interview was all that kept me in this business.

Believe me, if I ever stumble on another career I like I may still quit this business. I fly a cool plane, have a decent schedule, and can pay my bills (barely) but I'm not living where I want to be, and my friends and family are growing older without me. We make a lot of sacrifices for this love of flying.
Smooth air, quiet radios nowhere in particular to go just meandering through the sky.[
Sounds good to me N2.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Very well said N2

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Highflyinpilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Location: Holy Hell, is that what you look like in the morning

Post by Highflyinpilot »

Hey N2, You make me jealouse when you say ,After dinner went for a plane ride in my aircraft, no destination just flying around. Smooth air quiet radio etc. i dont think its possible to make it sound any better. LOL :D

N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

High, I am not trying to make anyone jealous I am just trying to point out that you can still enjoy aviation without having to go to the poor house in the process. Why live hand to mouth busting your hump and getting treated like crap for some company that constantly threatens you that if you don't like things there are hundreds lined up to replace you on a moments notice? Keep all your options open!

Return to “General Comments”