Headset recommendation?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Headset recommendation?

Post by valleyboy »

One thing to remember is that ear muffs will fade away as you progress and the quieter flight decks will have you on the quest for a more comfortable and lightweight headset. In my opinion the "in ear" is the way to go and while custom ear pieces are the best not all people like them but over the ear will always be uncomfortable after several hours. A headset you forget you even have on is the ultimate not those one pound monsters.
---------- ADS -----------

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:43 am

The pain of cheaping out lasts *much* longer than the pain of paying a higher initial price.
YES, YES, YES, a thousand times YES!

Words to live by..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Onesie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Onesie »

Oop.. too late.. but surprised no one mentioned DC Pro-X. I've had mine for 5 years and love it. Comfy, small & light weight, great sound quality. Can't go wrong with DC. Also have a zulu1... from 2009. It's less comfy but boy does it have nice BASS! One thing about Pro-X... i wouldn't recommend it for a piston because noise cancelling ain't so amazing being an on-ear headset instead of over-ear. Noise cancelling in turbine/jets is great though... and it's sooo small. Have some buds who got one and haven't looked back.

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Depends on what you are flying.
AirFrame wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:43 amThe pain of cheaping out lasts *much* longer than the pain of paying a higher initial price.
Couldn't agree with this statement more. No amount of money will correct hearing loss once it occurs. your headset is the one piece of equipment that you interact with all day every day so you want it to be comfortable and you need the best level of protection out there.

If you are flying a turboprop stay with an ear cup style headset. Turboprops put out lots of low frequency noise and vibrations from the prop. If you use an ear plug style like the Bose ProFlight then these LF vibrations will still resonate bones in the base of your skull just behind your ear. It causes hearing loss just the same as not wearing a headset.

This is why I would never get a Bose Youfly setup. The cup just isn't big enough. It's great for deadheading in the back of a jet and watching a movie. Make no mistake it is a home based product that has been adapted to add a microphone.

I flew for a decade with a pair of Zulu's. They had a titanium cup and did an excellent job of passively blocking noise. The ANR was very good (1st generation) and I got probably 35 hours without changing batteries. I picked up a set of rechargeable batteries early on and they worked great.

I now fly a jet and on long legs I found I was adjusting my headset a lot. I now fly with a Bose Proflight. You would have to pry this headset out of my cold dead hands. The ANR is superb (2nd/3rd gen of ANR)! It is extremely comfortable even on the longest of legs. It has a feature where you can tap off one side in case you are flying with an old fart who just refuses to use the intercom (because, you know the original 737 didn't have one - yes there are people out there still like this.)

I don't tend to use the bluetooth on either headset much these days. It was a lot more useful while droning around in the arctic for 8 hours at a time. While I found it immensely useful in helping keep me awake on long overnight flights up north, it's not so useful to me now.

Never, ever cheap out on a headset.

2Shoes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 2Shoes »

I love my Clarity Aloft. No batteries, super comfy, won't interfere with glasses or a ballcap either. I find that the earpieces can be washed and reused many times if you don't want to replace them. I've only used about 3 pair in a year for less than $10.

Return to “General Comments”