A mess to regain confidence.

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: A mess to regain confidence.

Post by rookiepilot »

Localizer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:31 am
How about this .. The airport authority puts the proper markings on the ground (airlines don't own the airports and jetways), now passengers use their common sense and stand on the markings.

Does the supermarket solution make you feel more comfortable Digits?
Why are those circles in a supermarket...and not in jetways?

I'll give you one guess.
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 am
Localizer wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:53 pm
Yes they are. When boarding, the gate agents check your ticket and allow you on the jetway. You as a passenger can not see how many people are there, and if there are any line ups or jams. If the gate agent doesn't scan your tickets, there will be no line up on the jetway. Pax can do stupid things, but you can't blame them for everything.
Digits .. you seem to have a hard on for airlines .. are you Gabor Lukacs? Passengers need to have some responsibility for their own safety during the times of covid, the airlines can’t be babysitters to mature adults that resort to child like behaviour because they’re in an airport.
Allright. Let's say I don't want to cause a jam in the jetway. So I'll refuse to show my ticket to the gate agent when I'm in front of the line. What do you think will happen? If there is a second line, that line will just move ahead. If there is only one line, I'll probably be asked to step aside.

Why do you think 80 pax would be able/willing to flawlessly keep track of the amount of people on the jetway, if 2 company employees who are in charge of the boarding process can't be trained or bothered to do so?
Localizer wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:53 pm Fishface didn’t call them “cattle” ... I did.
My apologies, you *both* called them cattle. Credit where credit is due!
Digits,
If people can’t approximate 6’, I don’t know what to tell you, you walk down the jetway and stop before you get within 6’ of the person in front of you, if the person behind you gets too close, kindly ask them to give you your physical distance. That being said, if everyone is wearing a mask, the distance is not necessarily needed, according to health authorities today.
I feel like an idiot most days when I go out, most of the time I’m one of a couple people wearing a mask, more often the only one. I’m genuinely offended that most people don’t give a rats ass about the people around them, the information is out there and only the completely inconsiderate assholes don’t follow the guidance.
I was at a store, clear guidance is everywhere, they even ask everyone to wear a mask but have stopped short of mandating it, anyhow I was waiting for this couple ahead of me to finish grabbing their giant pack of toilet paper when the woman had herself a giant sneeze, no effort to even cover her nose at all. So, I’m a pretty vocal, no bullshit type, I say to her,” you should be wearing a mask!”, she says “it’s allergies” and I say, “that’s not the fucken point”. I followed that up with a comment to my wife about going to the opposite side of the store to get away from this inconsiderate ahole, loud enough that to ensure she heard me.
We all have to find a way to get around in this new normal and following the ever changing health recommendations is part of that. In the US, airlines are enforcing their mask policy by placing people on their no fly list if you refuse to comply. It’s expected the FAA will make masks mandatory shortly.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:50 am
Localizer wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:31 am
How about this .. The airport authority puts the proper markings on the ground (airlines don't own the airports and jetways), now passengers use their common sense and stand on the markings.

Does the supermarket solution make you feel more comfortable Digits?
Why are those circles in a supermarket...and not in jetways?

I'll give you one guess.
Do you need a circle to know how close you are to the person in front of you, they’re helpful but in the absence of them I use friggen common sense.
Also, I have only noticed the circles or 6’ lines at the checkout, the aisles generally just have directional arrows, I don’t see how jetways should be any different than the aisles, in fact the direction should be obvious without the arrows.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Why do you think Quantas has stopped all International flights until October 2020 ?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I am going to wear gloves too.
wearing gloves is the worst thing to do. Bare hands and sanitize is a far better choice.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

people are idiots, i find with this social distancing when you leave space between you and the person in front of you people just think you left the gap for them to slide into, its like driving a car in traffic for christ's sake.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:05 am Allright. Let's say I don't want to cause a jam in the jetway. So I'll refuse to show my ticket to the gate agent when I'm in front of the line. What do you think will happen? If there is a second line, that line will just move ahead. If there is only one line, I'll probably be asked to step aside.

Why do you think 80 pax would be able/willing to flawlessly keep track of the amount of people on the jetway, if 2 company employees who are in charge of the boarding process can't be trained or bothered to do so?
Why would anyone need to keep track of the number of people? Is there something specific about the confines of a jet way that render you incapable of estimating 6 feet from an object in front of you and using your brain to tell your feet to stop moving, or do you lack depth perception and common sense across the board?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You have a point, but how are you going to stop the people behind you getting closer than 6 feet? Glare at them? Smile? Cough? Flash your College of Professional Pilots badge?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:25 am You have a point, but how are you going to stop the people behind you getting closer than 6 feet? Glare at them? Smile? Cough? Flash your College of Professional Pilots badge?
I would guess if everyone on a jetway left 6 feet between them on boarding, wouldn't be long for a nasty comment from the gate agent.

How do I stay 6 feet away from the people on the flight?

"Oh, the cabin air is filtered so you can't get in on an airplane".

BS. Propaganda. Just stop.

The southern states are all exploding in cases....cause everyone's indoors. With AC running.

But money rules....as always....

As I said...it's a mess.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:37 am

You're right, it is BS because nobody is saying you can't get it on an airplane. What they are saying is that the air is completely recycled every few minutes through hospital grade filters reducing exposure and therefore the chances of getting it from somebody 6 rows back. Nothing is perfect though so they have all kinds of other strategies in place at the same time like temperature checks, denying travel to people who are sick, distancing where able and mandatory masks. Taken all together the risks should be minimal especially if the overall population infection rate is reduced.

It also isn't being in an air conditioned room that's causing increased infections in the south, because believe it or not the north also gets hot and also has air conditioning. What's causing the increases in the south is rampant stupidity.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Rockie wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:16 am

You're right, it is BS because nobody is saying you can't get it on an airplane. What they are saying is that the air is completely recycled every few minutes through hospital grade filters reducing exposure and therefore the chances of getting it from somebody 6 rows back. Nothing is perfect though so they have all kinds of other strategies in place at the same time like temperature checks, denying travel to people who are sick, distancing where able and mandatory masks. Taken all together the risks should be minimal especially if the overall population infection rate is reduced.

It also isn't being in an air conditioned room that's causing increased infections in the south, because believe it or not the north also gets hot and also has air conditioning. What's causing the increases in the south is rampant stupidity.
Do you know how easy those tempature checks are to game?

Ask anyone flying through HK or China....

Hospital grade filters? LOL.....that's funny.

Just to take one point. Please......stop.......

Yeah, everything is a risk. Walking down the stairs this morning was a risk. Driving a car is a risk. We can all live in a bubble, or choose to accept personal risk. I'll probably fly somewhere in the coming months.

It's all the BS propaganda at the alter of the almighty dollar.......social distancing is enforced UNLESS it MIGHT affect profits!

Here in TO I still can't sit in a restaurant for 30 minutes, 10 feet away from everyone, or even on a patio. But I can cram into an airplane for 15 hours, 3 inches from the person next to me?

I don't care. I'm just making fun of the propaganda artists twisting themselves into a knot.....the messaging reversals on this have been comical....and I doubt confidence inspiring to older Mom and Pop vacation flyer...

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:21 am
Right, I forgot about the huge thermometer gaming industry out there.
rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:21 am Hospital grade filters? LOL.....that's funny.
Tell me again what you do for a living? All the aircraft are equipped with high efficiency particulate air filters that according to the health people filters out 99.9% of particulate matter including microbial organisms like bacteria and viruses, and the air is completely recycled through those filters every few minutes. This is something airlines are paying special attention to along with dramatically increased cleaning and disinfecting of the entire aircraft between flights.

You scoff at everything with no facts backing you up.

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

just curious. how many "almighty dollars" do you work for every year ?
why don't you work for free; or volunteer a 30 or 40% paycut. You're a greedy employee.

The whole world is greedy except for the person saying the whole world is greedy.

how dare the airline or any business want profit !
Do you hope your company is profitless ?

I'm gonna go buy some groceries from that greedy store.
I sure hope my union bargains a great payscale this fall.
My pensions better give a great return. I hope their are no greedy profit desiring companies or
banks, airlines, oil industry, tech company, insurance companies in that portfolio though.

Just such a nauseating, hypocritical, tiresome statement........greedy corporations wanting profit.

Can't they just make me stuff at cost !

back to topic;

yes there are major inconsistencies with these policies. Big surprise.
Its frustrating and aggravating as hell and costing people their livelihoods.
Just let everyone loose; venture into the world at your own risk!
Rockie wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:16 am

Ask anyone flying through HK or China....

Hospital grade filters? LOL.....that's funny.

Just to take one point. Please......stop.......

Yeah, everything is a risk. Walking down the stairs this morning was a risk. Driving a car is a risk. We can all live in a bubble, or choose to accept personal risk. I'll probably fly somewhere in the coming months.

It's all the BS propaganda at the alter of the almighty dollar.......social distancing is enforced UNLESS it MIGHT affect profits!

Here in TO I still can't sit in a restaurant for 30 minutes, 10 feet away from everyone, or even on a patio. But I can cram into an airplane for 15 hours, 3 inches from the person next to me?

I don't care. I'm just making fun of the propaganda artists twisting themselves into a knot.....the messaging reversals on this have been comical....and I doubt confidence inspiring to older Mom and Pop vacation flyer...

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Profits shouldn't come...at the cost of telling the truth.

That has destroyed confidence in Mom and Pop, and things will come back slower, because of a lack of trust.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Passengers will also need protection from losing money when either denied boarding or have come in contact and are self isolating. Credits don't cut it given the fact one might not want to travel by air ever again. I know the airlines are hurting, maybe it's time to reset to a higher level of customer service. We all know that customer service for the most part really sucks at all airlines. I for one hate flying as a passenger because of today's standards for comfort and airline employee attitude. Tickets will be more expensive and given this it is a great opportunity for airlines to up their game, stop extra charges like checked luggage and bring back good service.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Hear here!! Agree 100%

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

valleyboy wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:57 am
I know the airlines are hurting, maybe it's time to reset to a higher level of customer service.
Airlines are hurting from their own choices, and should suffer the consequences.

American in the period before Covid, spent 96% of its free cash flow....on share buybacks to goose the stock -- which then directly benefits, and only benefits, the CEO and C suite through stock options and bonuses.

They left no reserve for a recession from any cause, then they immediately get in trouble and fire people.

Where are the unions screaming bloody murder over stuff like that, that companies should be financially responsible to protect worker jobs?

Instead they go crying for bailout money, and bitterly complain when that money comes with any conditions on stock buybacks or compensation.

I feel for the line employees, they get screwed.

Same as Bombardier. I could tell you dozens of public companys in trouble, screwing their bondholders, their employees, and having the board give rich bonuses to the top idiots

47north
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 47north »

Rockie wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:33 am
Right, I forgot about the huge thermometer gaming industry out there.
Unfortunately if you have a low grade fever, a good dose of acetaminophen (Tylenol) can easily be enough to lower your temperature enough to get past a temperature check. There are stories out there of passengers doing just that to get back to their home countries.

Another reason why temperature checks are not effective. We should be doing what places like Iceland are doing and testing everyone on arrival.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

Or do like Asia and have infrared cameras.
When you get to Asia, every airport has an infrared camera with some folks monitoring and there’s a medical station before clearing customs.
I think that should be the way forward everywhere.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

fishface wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:16 pm Or do like Asia and have infrared cameras.
When you get to Asia, every airport has an infrared camera with some folks monitoring and there’s a medical station before clearing customs.
I think that should be the way forward everywhere.
IR cameras are being set up in YYZ last time I was there. Much faster than individual readings. I know taking temperatures is not foolproof and was never intended to be, it is just another tool in the total package.

Mandatory testing before a flight is pretty involved but in my opinion should definitely be mandatory before allowing anyone in from the US, at least until they get their shit together which won’t be for at least a year...if ever.

Return to “General Comments”