Self attestation for medical renewal

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dasher310
Rank 0
Rank 0

Self attestation for medical renewal

Post by Dasher310 »

I was told yesterday by one of our pilots that his CAME had informed him that the " glasses must be worn " was not considered a restriction with regards to renewing a medical by self attestation of fitness.
I can't find anything that indicates this in " Exemption from 404.03 and 404.04 ", I just see (a) med cert does not bear any limitation or restriction set out in Appendix B
Was also told that some CAME's are refusing to do medical renewals by telemedicine consultation, anybody else heard anything about this.
---------- ADS -----------

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Self attestation for medical renewal

Post by ayseven »

I am not surprised they won't renew by phone. It is an ethical quandary for them: they need to see the person. As things change, this might change, but now, I don't think they would go for it, no.

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Here's a list of restrictions...
https://tc.gc.ca/en/transport-canada/co ... 07-181.htm

I think your pilot's CAME is correct in that glasses are not explicitly called out on the above list of restrictions.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Very interesting list.

Looks like some restrictions are tailormade as well:

"Valid only when wearing special leatherette holding glove model PC262RL on left hand "

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

ayseven wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:47 am I am not surprised they won't renew by phone. It is an ethical quandary for them: they need to see the person. As things change, this might change, but now, I don't think they would go for it, no.
I have one of the restrictions listed and so I need to do the telemedicine call. My old CAME retired this spring, and so I found a new CAME who is going to do renew my medical by phone and then email me a declaration that I'm fit to fly as my proof.

Craig1983
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Craig1983 »

Called my doc. Won't see me unless I have a solid reason to. Told me to self declare and that's what I'll do this year. I also have the glasses/contacts clause but it appears that doesn't matter.

-Craig
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Anybody know what they are going to say about ECG that is expiring soon? I sent the self-declaration and they confirmed they had received it, and would look at it. Except for the eyes, ears, ECG and blood pressure, there isn't much point in the face to face with the doc.

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Medicals re-open here in YZF with an aviation medical examiner....ecg's and everything else...was put on a waiting list two weeks ago....had mine completed yesterday...quite a few spots available by the sounds of it....slowly getting back to normal here anyhow as far as getting your medicals renewed...

Dakota435
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Dakota435 »

I'm trying to sort this out in my head. I have a Cat 1 that expired a year and a half + ago and am on Cat 3 privileges. My Cat 3 privileges expired in May, so I am going on the grace period to Aug 1. I filled out the attestation and sent it on because I appear to meet the conditions for attestation (no limitations, etc), to extend my Cat 3 privileges to next May. I think. Not so sure now.

When I look at the limitations, it lists "3 months only, 6 months only, 9 months only" etc etc. What the heck does this mean?? A Cat 3 is good for 24 months at my age. Does the "24 month" limitation apply? Or does it only apply if you have an explicit statement on your MC labelled as a time limitation of some sort? I don't have any limitations except "glasses must be available", which doesn't apply in this case.

If you send in the attestation, and you made a wrong guess about how to interpret this stuff and are actually outside the boundaries of the exemption, are you busted now? Will TC notify you when you send it in that it's invalid? It's brutal trying to parse the logic and wording of this stuff. Worse than a lot of ADs.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Dakota435 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:57 pm I'm trying to sort this out in my head. I have a Cat 1 that expired a year and a half + ago and am on Cat 3 privileges. My Cat 3 privileges expired in May, so I am going on the grace period to Aug 1. I filled out the attestation and sent it on because I appear to meet the conditions for attestation (no limitations, etc), to extend my Cat 3 privileges to next May. I think. Not so sure now.

When I look at the limitations, it lists "3 months only, 6 months only, 9 months only" etc etc. What the heck does this mean?? A Cat 3 is good for 24 months at my age. Does the "24 month" limitation apply? Or does it only apply if you have an explicit statement on your MC labelled as a time limitation of some sort? I don't have any limitations except "glasses must be available", which doesn't apply in this case.

If you send in the attestation, and you made a wrong guess about how to interpret this stuff and are actually outside the boundaries of the exemption, are you busted now? Will TC notify you when you send it in that it's invalid? It's brutal trying to parse the logic and wording of this stuff. Worse than a lot of ADs.
Just send in the attestation, and you'll be fine. As mentioned in another thread, I'm in the same situation as you. My Cat1 expired a year ago, so I've been using my cat3 privileges which would have expired in Aug 2020. I sent in the attestation form on Jun 30, and got an acknowledgement the same day saying they had received it. Today I got another email saying:

"Review of your file shows that your CAT 1 medical certificate (MC) is now expired.
Per information posted on our website, holders of expired MCs will require a full medical to renew your CAT 1 MC.

Your submitted Attestation however is valid to renew your CAT 3 MC.
If you have had a medical exam recently to renew your CAT 1 MC, please notify our office immediately in order to update your records accordingly."

So, that seems to confirm that I can continue using my Cat 3 priviliges until Aug 2021.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

The way I read it, the self attestation is only good till Aug 1 anyway. What a goat show.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

co-joe wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:49 pm The way I read it, the self attestation is only good till Aug 1 anyway. What a goat show.
The August 1 change is to handle the previous exemption, which was a blanket 60 day extension for anyone expiring between April 1 and June 1 (extending them to a max of Aug 1). Then TC changed to the declaration process - anyone who was expiring anywhere from April 1 to August 1, 2020 was allowed to declare themselves medically fit (subject to conditions) and get a 12 or 6 month medical as the case may be. Anyone who was expiring AFTER August 1 didn't need to do it right away, as they were still valid. Those people are allowed to do the declaration within 90 days before they expire. The medical is no different than if you had seen the doc, and you won't have to do another one until 6-12 months later. If you are normally only valid for 6 months, and your 6 month expiry date falls into the defined period, you can do it a second time.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

When I sent my Self Attestation, I got an email saying they would get back to me. I don't think anybody is going to get in trouble based on invalid medicals at this time. I think they are expecting that once the local CAMEs are able to do proper medicals, and they are set up to review them, they will be back to normal, but right now, I don't think we should sweat it. Just make the effort to do the self-attestation, and I am pretty sure we are good for another 6 mos, 1 year, or whatever it is for your age and category. Then again, I could be wrong, and we are all going to jail.

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

I had heard that if you require an ECG that you can't use the attestation. I'm 30 this year so I need an ECG, does that mean I'll have to go in for a full medical like usual?

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

goleafsgo wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 pm I had heard that if you require an ECG that you can't use the attestation. I'm 30 this year so I need an ECG, does that mean I'll have to go in for a full medical like usual?
I did a telemedical. My CAME emailed me a requisition, which I took to the local lab.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

goleafsgo wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:32 pm I had heard that if you require an ECG that you can't use the attestation. I'm 30 this year so I need an ECG, does that mean I'll have to go in for a full medical like usual?
"For Telemedicine-only assessments, routine testing, including electrocardiogram, urine testing, audiogram, and vision testing will not be required until the next full examination."

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:00 pm
"For Telemedicine-only assessments, routine testing, including electrocardiogram, urine testing, audiogram, and vision testing will not be required until the next full examination."
That applies to "routine testing" only. A specific requirement for an ECG still applies.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

So the over 40 annual ecg is that "routine"? I just ate the $200 medical to be done with it for a year...no deciphering confusing documents required. Maybe the company will pay when I get recalled. :lol:

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

co-joe wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:48 am So the over 40 annual ecg is that "routine"? I just ate the $200 medical to be done with it for a year...no deciphering confusing documents required. Maybe the company will pay when I get recalled. :lol:
Yes.

GoodGuy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by GoodGuy »

Is it possible to send in the ATTESTATION form by Email? Reason being, my Cat 1 expires in a week and I'm kind of waiting last minute. I don't want it to expire.

Return to “General Comments”