Post-Simulator Quarantine?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

stopsquawk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post-Simulator Quarantine?

Post by stopsquawk »

My recurrent is coming up soon and needs to be on a sim only available in the US. Are pilots exempt from the 14 day quarantine on return from simulator training? Anyone have any info on this?
---------- ADS -----------

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Post-Simulator Quarantine?

Post by flyingcanuck »

I would assume if you can fly across the border because you're deemed "essential", then training to return to that essential job is fine?

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Our company policy still states a 2 week quarantine. It's a very tough situation now.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

We had the same situation come up at my employer, also. I'm pretty sure that the flight crew exemption was intended to apply to operating flight crews, who are only away from Canada overnight, not people who are staying for a week, 10 days, etc...You're little different from a tourist at that point. When that was raised with our employer, and it became apparent that they might have to pay us to stay at home and quarantine for two weeks, plans for sim training changed - rapidly!

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

Just get an exemption

200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Or you know do the right thing and quarantine. You spend significant time in a a place that is not containing it well.

Cheers,

200hr Wonder
whistlerboy02
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by whistlerboy02 »

I just came back from training in the states. Take your uniform and wear it on your return airline flight to Canada as it saves confusion when clearing customs. I told them I was flight crew returning from training and they did not ask for any documentaion. I also took a covid test when I returned of my own accord.
Your training provider will send you a letter in advance to show US Customs confimring your enrolment in their course and also reference your essential worker excemption.
Quite frankly neither customs cared to look at my documents. I just said I was a pilot traveling for work and they waived me through like a normal positioning flight.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Interesting.
If you really went to the states for recurrent training, how did you get a TSA clearance?

In Canada, the only “essential” crew are operating flight crew. (read the Customs Act) Pilots crossing the border for training are NOT considered “operating” OR “essential”. With or without a letter from the training organization. So, however you managed to go to the states and back for training with the border closed is very interesting indeed.

Additionally, wearing a uniform as a passenger on a scheduled flight from the US is a non-starter. Under the Customs Act, you’re a passenger just like everyone else on the airplane.

More simply stated, we can only enter the US by commercial flights. You did. The purpose of your trip was to receive training. Not to work illegally. So you’re good to enter.

Canada Customs cannot refuse re-entry into Canada for any returning Canadian. If you didn’t purchase or receive anything of value over your exemption, have a nice day. I doubt your uniform and “story” had little to do with a successful trip to the states.

You still have to self-quarantine for 14 days when you get back to Canada.

Gino Under

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

TSA is still providing clearances for training.
The US considers flight training/ testing essential.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Agreed. American pilots are considered “essential” in the US. But, Canadian pilots working in Canada, for a Canadian flight operation? I didn’t think they’d be considered essential in, or to the US under the present pandemic conditions. But then, there’s a lot of confusion these days.

It would be interesting to know or even understand how a Canadian pilot entering the US for flight training could be considered “essential”. Without that proverbial ‘green card’ you can’t fly for remuneration anywhere in the states. So how would you apply any essential reference in that case? A Canadian pilot isn’t essential to the American economy. Is he/she?
Flight training in Canada is readily available without leaving this country.
In fact, many training Centers here are ready, willing, and able to provide most of our training needs.

Americans who ordinarily train in Canada can’t enter Canada at present because our border is (supposedly) closed. (wink, wink) They’d have a 2 week pre-training quarantine protocol to complete before training started anyway. I’d imagine it would be the same expectation for a Canadian going to the states.

I guess it goes to show you how adept this country is at screwing itself.

Gino :partyman:

Last edited by Gino Under on Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

You can actually drive across the border to train at a US facility

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

What kind of training?

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Recurrent

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

States like Florida have deemed the WWE essential, I think they have a very liberal view of the term.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

You can do recurrent training in Canada. So, considering the quarantine aspect of the exercise, why would any Canadian pilot HAVE TO go to the states for recurrent? I can just imagine a 14 day quarantine, followed by training, then another 14 day quarantine when you get home.
Makes a lot of sense huh?
Must be expensive.

Gino Under :drinkers:

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

That’s not how it works in reality

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Gino Under wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:09 pm You can do recurrent training in Canada. So, considering the quarantine aspect of the exercise, why would any Canadian pilot HAVE TO go to the states for recurrent? I can just imagine a 14 day quarantine, followed by training, then another 14 day quarantine when you get home.
Makes a lot of sense huh?
Must be expensive.

Gino Under :drinkers:
how are you suppose to do recurrent training for an aircraft that a sim doesn't exist in Canada? In plane isn't often an option, nor is it the preferred one. we're talking a huge fleet of airplanes - king airs, pc-12, most biz jets.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

You mean they would have to train in the actual aircraft?

Gasp :rolleyes:

Really though, just get an exemption for the moment.
Or go and quarantine when you come back.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Heliian wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:55 pm You mean they would have to train in the actual aircraft?

Gasp :rolleyes:

Really though, just get an exemption for the moment.
Or go and quarantine when you come back.
Lots of things can’t be properly trained in the aircraft, V1 cuts come to mind

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

According to the Canadian government website if you meet this criteria you are exempt from having to isolate when returning to Canada
“ work in the trade and transportation sector who are important for the movement of goods and people, including:
truck drivers
crew on any plane, train or marine vessel”

Return to “General Comments”