how long

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:53 pm

Re: how long

Post by tsgas »

iflyforpie wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:18 am Lol... anything less than shooting the poor for sport is Marxism from the batshit crazy fringes of the far right.
Wealth re-distribution and propaganda are the mark of you Bolsheviks.
---------- ADS -----------
 
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:53 pm

Re: how long

Post by tsgas »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:29 am
iflyforpie wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:18 am Lol... anything less than shooting the poor for sport is Marxism from the batshit crazy fringes of the far right.
LOL.

Tsgas....I'm an ex - Pit trader, moron.......probably the most capitalist occupation you can think of. Google "Chicago Pit Traders" -- watch a video.

First time anyone has labelled me a communist....
You are a lying douche bag . Just because you were the office boy doesn't make you special. Get over yourself.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8216
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: how long

Post by Rockie »

I get it, you’re just cranking everybody up for fun right? People like you’re pretending to be can’t really exist or we would have gone extinct thousands of years ago.

Haha...good one tsgas. You’re probably a sociology professor in real life conducting a study on how much stupidity people will accept before going “that can’t be real”.
---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8112
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: how long

Post by iflyforpie »

tsgas wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:24 pm
iflyforpie wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:18 am Lol... anything less than shooting the poor for sport is Marxism from the batshit crazy fringes of the far right.
Wealth re-distribution and propaganda are the mark of you Bolsheviks.
Takes one to know one. ;)
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
tsgarp
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:18 pm

Re: how long

Post by tsgarp »

Rockie wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:35 pm Oh yes, wannabe definitely applies to the individual you brought into the discussion.
If that’s the hill you want to die on, plant your flag and have at it. I think it was Napoleon that said never interrupt your opponent while he’s making a mistake....
The navigator was replaced by an IRS and and FMS, which nobody could consider smart.
Same with ECAM, EICAS and simplified systems which replaced the flight engineer
At the risk of hurting some feelings, you don’t have to be ‘smart’ to be a navigator or engineer. I put smart in quotes because there is no universally accepted definition of intelligence. However, most of the literature surrounding the subject points to pattern recognition and extrapolation being major strings that tie multiple intelligences together. In short, the ability to process data and use it to predict the future makes someone, or something smart.

As far as aviation is concerned, it doesn’t matter if it’s a human or a machine that recognizes and acts on the patterns. As I said before, Navs and Engineers got replaced first because their jobs involved data that wasn’t very complex. Computers can handle all of the tasks involved in getting an airliner from one domestic terminal to another domestic terminal. The only technological stumbling block left is the fragility of space based navigation.

I’m still curious, was your undergrad in CS or Eng? I’m just asking because you are making some pretty bold statements about coding and AI. Again, at the risk of hurting feelings, your position on the subject seems to be at odds with the current trends in the field.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
rookiepilot
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2229
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

Re: how long

Post by rookiepilot »

tsgarp wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:04 pm
I put smart in quotes because there is no universally accepted definition of intelligence.
Based on your posts, I'd call them what we call in the business, "negatively correlated" to intelligence.

It's a big word, can google that one too.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8216
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: how long

Post by Rockie »

tsgarp wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:04 pm I’m still curious, was your undergrad in CS or Eng? I’m just asking because you are making some pretty bold statements about coding and AI.
Why do computer programmers think they’re smarter than anyone else and infallible? Everybody in the world has to live with their screw ups. My phone is on software version 13.6. Version 1.0 should have been perfect right? And we won’t bother even mentioning applications.

I’ve also flown computerized aircraft my entire career and know all too well their limitations despite the engineers assurances. On the EMJ 190 alone you need both hands to count the times software writers promised to fix the printer and failed. That’s just the printer....

B737 MAX anyone?

No one should be in awe of computer programmers because they’re human just like us (some with multiple personality disorders) which means they make mistakes.
---------- ADS -----------
 
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:53 pm

Re: how long

Post by tsgas »

Rockie wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:57 pm I get it, you’re just cranking everybody up for fun right? People like you’re pretending to be can’t really exist or we would have gone extinct thousands of years ago.

Haha...good one tsgas. You’re probably a sociology professor in real life conducting a study on how much stupidity people will accept before going “that can’t be real”.
Stick to being the office gofer , and forget about BS everyone with you nonsense.
---------- ADS -----------
 
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:53 pm

Re: how long

Post by tsgas »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:33 pm
tsgas wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:24 pm
iflyforpie wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:18 am Lol... anything less than shooting the poor for sport is Marxism from the batshit crazy fringes of the far right.
Wealth re-distribution and propaganda are the mark of you Bolsheviks.
Takes one to know one. ;)
some real deep thought went into your reply ,did your mommy help you with that response ?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8216
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: how long

Post by Rockie »

tsgas wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:35 am Stick to being the office gofer , and forget about BS everyone with you nonsense.
Imagine this sentence being some critical line of code and you get my point.
---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8112
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: how long

Post by iflyforpie »

tsgas wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:36 am
iflyforpie wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:33 pm
tsgas wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:24 pm

Wealth re-distribution and propaganda are the mark of you Bolsheviks.
Takes one to know one. ;)
some real deep thought went into your reply ,did your mommy help you with that response ?
You’re not worth deep thought.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
tsgarp
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:18 pm

Re: how long

Post by tsgarp »

iflyforpie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 am
tsgas wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:36 am
iflyforpie wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Takes one to know one. ;)
some real deep thought went into your reply ,did your mommy help you with that response ?
You’re not worth deep thought.
Where is Jack Handy these days?
---------- ADS -----------
 
tsgarp
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:18 pm

Re: how long

Post by tsgarp »

Rockie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:56 am
tsgas wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:35 am Stick to being the office gofer , and forget about BS everyone with you nonsense.
Imagine this sentence being some critical line of code and you get my point.
Your point is moot because critical lines of code get much better proof reading than Avcanada posts. I thought you would have learned that in your first year of undergrad during your CS degree.
---------- ADS -----------
 
tsgarp
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 214
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:18 pm

Re: how long

Post by tsgarp »

Rockie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:49 am
tsgarp wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:04 pm I’m still curious, was your undergrad in CS or Eng? I’m just asking because you are making some pretty bold statements about coding and AI.
Why do computer programmers think they’re smarter than anyone else and infallible? Everybody in the world has to live with their screw ups. My phone is on software version 13.6. Version 1.0 should have been perfect right? And we won’t bother even mentioning applications.

I’ve also flown computerized aircraft my entire career and know all too well their limitations despite the engineers assurances. On the EMJ 190 alone you need both hands to count the times software writers promised to fix the printer and failed. That’s just the printer....

B737 MAX anyone?

No one should be in awe of computer programmers because they’re human just like us (some with multiple personality disorders) which means they make mistakes.
Why do you think your smarter than everybody else? You really don’t have any reason to. In fact, your dogged insistence on not accepting the facts being laid out for you by subject matter experts is reminiscent of what people accuse Trump of. I’d accuse you of being like the Donald, except it’s obviously not true. The Donald managed to build a global business empire and become leader of the free world. You, on the other hand, achieved a line pilots pension and argue on the internet.

Regarding the Max; 1) You’ll find that the engineering staff told management that it was a ‘bad idea’ and that the MBA did a dollars vs. risk assessment and decided to go ahead. 2) The are numerous successful fly by wire designs out there today. I mean, come on; you didn’t think you were actually flying that Hornet or Airbus, did you?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1877
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:14 pm

Re: how long

Post by Heliian »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:13 pm
iflyforpie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 am
tsgas wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:36 am

some real deep thought went into your reply ,did your mommy help you with that response ?
You’re not worth deep thought.
Where is Jack Handy these days?
Wait, are you using 2 accounts? Is tsgas and tsgarp 2 different people? multiple personalities?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8216
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:10 am

Re: how long

Post by Rockie »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:16 pm
Rockie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:56 am
tsgas wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:35 am Stick to being the office gofer , and forget about BS everyone with you nonsense.
Imagine this sentence being some critical line of code and you get my point.
Your point is moot because critical lines of code get much better proof reading than Avcanada posts.
Yet mistakes still happen, imagine that. As for the Hornet and Airbus (both of which I actually have significant time in...unlike you), it sure isn’t computer programmers or their product flying them either or they’d all crash. So who is flying them?

I’m tempted to say f**k off you insignificant, irrelevant s**t, but that wouldn’t be polite.

Trump didn’t build a business, he built a criminal enterprise that is corrupt to the bone. It’ll be interesting how much fraud and money laundering the SDNY prosecuters dig up now that they’re getting the Trump family records.

And by the way, did they teach spelling at the school you went to?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by Rockie on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 815
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:32 am
Location: On glideslope.

Re: how long

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Heliian wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:45 pm
tsgarp wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:13 pm
iflyforpie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 am

You’re not worth deep thought.
Where is Jack Handy these days?
Wait, are you using 2 accounts? Is tsgas and tsgarp 2 different people? multiple personalities?
Unclear. I am, however, curious about why a guy who has been on here for 16 years with 80-odd posts just overnight becomes a complete and total asshat.
---------- ADS -----------
 
tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:53 pm

Re: how long

Post by tsgas »

iflyforpie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 am
tsgas wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:36 am
iflyforpie wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Takes one to know one. ;)
some real deep thought went into your reply ,did your mommy help you with that response ?
You’re not worth deep thought.
Admit it , you just lack the intelligence, you're too shallow .
---------- ADS -----------
 
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: how long

Post by leftoftrack »

YYZSaabGuy wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:01 pm
Heliian wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:45 pm
tsgarp wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:13 pm

Where is Jack Handy these days?
Wait, are you using 2 accounts? Is tsgas and tsgarp 2 different people? multiple personalities?
Unclear. I am, however, curious about why a guy who has been on here for 16 years with 80-odd posts just overnight becomes a complete and total asshat.
boredom, is my guess
---------- ADS -----------
 
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 8112
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:25 pm
Location: Winterfell...

Re: how long

Post by iflyforpie »

tsgas wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:28 am
iflyforpie wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:00 am
tsgas wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:36 am

some real deep thought went into your reply ,did your mommy help you with that response ?
You’re not worth deep thought.
Admit it , you just lack the intelligence, you're too shallow .
Yawn...
---------- ADS -----------
 
Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”