how long

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: how long

Post by gtappl »

Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:20 pm Proudly square. Not so square that I’ve bothered to calculate my daily post rate though. That’s someone with too much time on their hands.

Btw, bro is just as bad. Can’t take it seriously.
Not sure why I'm even replying but the number shows up when you click someones name
---------- ADS -----------

455tt
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 455tt »

Rockie wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:20 pm Proudly square. Not so square that I’ve bothered to calculate my daily post rate though. That’s someone with too much time on their hands.

7998 posts since 2005. Wow. That's alot.

Emile Zola said: "If I cannot overwhelm with my quality, I will overwhelm with my quantity."

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

gtappl wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:02 pm

Not sure why I'm even replying but the number shows up when you click someones name
How about that.

Referring to someone as Dude, Buddy or Bro when they are not your Dude, Buddy or Bro makes it difficult to impossible for that person to take you seriously. Anyone who disagrees can easily test that theory at their next job interview.

Last edited by Rockie on Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

455tt wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:49 pm

7998 posts since 2005. Wow. That's alot.

Emile Zola said: "If I cannot overwhelm with my quality, I will overwhelm with my quantity."
Cue the chorus of “You’re safe on both counts” :-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

Rockie wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:16 am
gtappl wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:02 pm

How about that.

Referring to someone as Dude, Buddy or Bro when they are not your Dude, Buddy or Bro makes it difficult to impossible for that person to take you seriously. Anyone who disagrees can easily test that theory at their next job interview.
You realize you replied to the wrong person?

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

Tons of people who are successful and are not teenagers say dude, buddy and bro, Rockie. Get over it. You’d have to be absolutely retarded to say that in an interview, so why bring it up?

What do I do if you call me Mister, Sir or Man (as in “hey man”)? I’m not your Mister, don’t call me that.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

fishface wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:34 pm You’d have to be absolutely retarded to say that in an interview, so why bring it up?
To illustrate a point you can’t seem to grasp even when it’s almost out of your mouth. Why wouldn’t you say that in an interview? Could it be because you want to be taken seriously and not appear juvenile?
fishface wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:34 pm What do I do if you call me Mister, Sir or Man (as in “hey man”)? I’m not your Mister, don’t call me that.
I shouldn’t be surprised you don’t know the difference between “Mr. Jones” or “Sir”, and “dude”.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

Cmon really?
Social norms. You act differently in a bar with your buddies than you do at the gala. You don’t say dude in an interview etc. Your arguments have no substance and when I use the same argument against you it’s a big no-no.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Rockie’s ‘line in the sand’ over the word dude makes me call bullshit on his claims to have been a fighter pilot. :smt040

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

fishface wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:45 pm Cmon really?
Social norms. You act differently in a bar with your buddies than you do at the gala.
I agree, however I am not your buddy nor are we in a bar, and if you are trying to convince me of something your argument suffers if you come across as juvenile. Something you are not actually doing now which I appreciate.
Rockie wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:16 am Referring to someone as Dude, Buddy or Bro when they are not your Dude, Buddy or Bro makes it difficult to impossible for that person to take you seriously.
tsgarp wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:48 am Rockie’s ‘line in the sand’ over the word dude makes me call bullshit on his claims to have been a fighter pilot. :smt040
I’m confused. Does not taking someone seriously who starts his sentences with “dude” mean I couldn’t have been a fighter pilot?

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I was hesitant to dip my toe in the water on this thread drift, but to me, the use of dude, bud, bro are a form of familiarity that pushes the boundaries if you do not know someone well. And for us old farts, that kind of familiarity can be perceived as disrespectful.

I do get it. The younger generations do not perceive it this way, and so attack us for our perceptions.

For any of the younger generation, you might want to keep it in mind if you are looking for a position that is being interviewed by an older person.

And, Garp, , I can confirm Rockie was indeed a fighter pilot, i have certified copies of all three of the summary accident investigations :smt040 :smt040 :smt040
Seriously, he was.

So now lets talk about you. From your posts it seems you have no idea how a larger aircraft actually flies. Your arguments regarding semantics and social skills would seem to be one of about 17 or 18 years old. One of those little fellows who think they are very clever if they get the adults’ attention.

But I could be completely wrong. It could just be your meds . So share with us your type and hour experience. Most of us know who Rockie works for and what he flys. Tell us about your types and employer. Oh wait...you are not one of the low seniority furloughs are you? Or worse, a frustrated pilot with no chance for an airline seat for 10 years. An instructor!!?Well that would at the least, certainly explain the know it all attitude regarding heavy aircraft.

Maybe I am wasting my time, your BS about the trim situation does put A cloud over your ability to be honest about your experience.

On the upside, Gasp, you seem exactly the type that advanced AI could replace.

Now I am off to waste life on other things.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

trey kule wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:04 am i have certified copies of all three of the summary accident investigations
The others are buried much deeper.... :wink:

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Rockie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:44 am I’m confused. Does not taking someone seriously who starts his sentences with “dude” mean I couldn’t have been a fighter pilot?
Well, it’s just that ‘dude’ is pretty much a standard form of address among the majority of the fighter guys I’ve worked with. If you can’t take someone seriously that uses that word, then that means that you fluffed ofF around 70% of your co-workers. I can’t see that being a very healthy working environment. Perhaps they used ‘Pal’ back in your day, or perhaps your apparent aversion to the majority of your co-workers is why you spent so much time in staff jobs. Either way, you have presented us with a bit of a conundrum.

fishface
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fishface »

I think we can all agree that you don’t say dude, bro or man in an interview and to people you don’t know (and depending on the social situation, it STILL could be acceptable ie. you bump into somebody by accident “oh sorry dude”)

Rockie had a blanket issue with it saying it was juvenile period. That’s what we’re giving him shit for.

Nowadays, tons of mature and successful adults still say those words whether he likes it or not.. and as mentioned above, it does show how out of touch one can be.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

tsgarp wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:38 am Perhaps they used ‘Pal’ back in your day, or perhaps your apparent aversion to the majority of your co-workers is why you spent so much time in staff jobs.
This might be a difficult concept for you to get but we used our names. Go figure.
tsgarp wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:38 am Well, it’s just that ‘dude’ is pretty much a standard form of address among the majority of the fighter guys I’ve worked with.
You've never worked with any, and those guys you're playing with online aren't really fighter pilots.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Rockie wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:49 pm You've never worked with any,
We both know that’s not true, we both also know that getting you to admit that you know that that is not true is not going to happen.

On a different note, it’s kind of ironic that a thread titled “How Long” turned into a complete dick measuring contest. Well, ironic, but not surprising (this is Avcanada after all ;). )

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

It’s time, mods. It’s time.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Do I only log IFR when I'm IMC?

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

'97 Tercel wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:25 pm Do I only log IFR when I'm IMC?
Yes, but only if the autopilot is off......

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

A month later and the thread still limping along in slow, torturous pointlessness.

Kind of mirrors AvCanada and the world at large. With tsgarp as the poster child. :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Return to “General Comments”