Micro Drone

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Micro Drone

Post by av8ts »

I’m having a discussion on another forum about flying drones less than 250g in a control zone. Some people believe you can fly in a control zone less than 100 feet because the TC rules are so vague. Any input?
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Micro Drone

Post by valleyboy »

I have a 250G drone and do unlock it to fly just outside the "red" zone you must go through a "self" unlocking and the altitude restrictions are built in - I think 60M in my area. - I have recently been around a commercial operator and he was flying within the zone and his process was very complicated. Like anything else it boils down to common sense. While I use a drone with a GPS and therefore subject to auto locking any of the "racing" small drones are not so equipped and that's the group who can fly where they choose. I guess it boils down to the almost impossible requirement for certain individuals and that is just use your head.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The rules for sub 250g drones are very clear: They are toys. You can fly them anywhere you can fly a paper airplane.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

ahramin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:17 am The rules for sub 250g drones are very clear: They are toys. You can fly them anywhere you can fly a paper airplane.

Not according to transport Canada

Attachments
87FE1983-78AC-4C9B-A8E4-8998EB8E510E.png
87FE1983-78AC-4C9B-A8E4-8998EB8E510E.png (97.85 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
contactapproved
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by contactapproved »

av8ts wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:42 am
ahramin wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:17 am The rules for sub 250g drones are very clear: They are toys. You can fly them anywhere you can fly a paper airplane.

Not according to transport Canada
One could argue the word "should" is just a recommendation. Notice the heading above uses "must". They could have also used "shall" which they also commonly use for direct laws. Im pretty certain the sub 250g category has very little actual law and more on the recommendation side of things.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The rules are essentially the same except for no registration or licensing required.

You're still required to adhere to the regulations.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

thus the no fly in restricted zones based on position and app. you must get permission to fly in these areas and yes all other restrictions apply even though you don't need a drone licence.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Ok I'll bite. Last night I was flying a 249 g drone within 3 nm of an airport and within controlled airspace. What CAR did I violate?

crazy horse
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by crazy horse »

ahramin wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:54 pm Ok I'll bite. Last night I was flying a 249 g drone within 3 nm of an airport and within controlled airspace. What CAR did I violate?
None, perfectly legal.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

ahramin wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:54 pm Ok I'll bite. Last night I was flying a 249 g drone within 3 nm of an airport and within controlled airspace. What CAR did I violate?

901.47(2)a

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... l#s-900.01
=====================
Operations at or in the Vicinity of an Aerodrome, Airport or Heliport

901.47 (1) No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft at or near an aerodrome that is listed in the Canada Flight Supplement or the Water Aerodrome Supplement in a manner that could interfere with an aircraft operating in the established traffic pattern.

(2) Subject to section 901.73, no pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft at a distance of less than

(a) three nautical miles from the centre of an airport; and

(b) one nautical mile from the centre of a heliport.

==============

The reference to 901.73 may or may not apply, depends

===================
Operations at or in the Vicinity of an Airport or Heliport — Established Procedure

901.73 No pilot shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system under this Division if the aircraft is within three nautical miles from the centre of an airport or within one nautical mile from the centre of a heliport unless the operation is conducted in accordance with the established procedure with respect to the use of remotely piloted aircraft systems applicable to that airport or heliport.
===================

And if you want to get real technical, 901.71 does allow for the case where you have a clearance to be in controlled airspace.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The regulations quoted above are all under CAR Part IX, Subpart 1:
Subpart 1 — Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft

901.01 This Subpart applies in respect of the operation of remotely piloted aircraft systems that include small remotely piloted aircraft.
And what is a small RPAS?
small remotely piloted aircraft means a remotely piloted aircraft that has a maximum take-off weight of at least 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 25 kg (55 pounds)

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

ahramin wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:17 am The regulations quoted above are all under CAR Part IX, Subpart 1:
Subpart 1 — Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft

901.01 This Subpart applies in respect of the operation of remotely piloted aircraft systems that include small remotely piloted aircraft.
And what is a small RPAS?
small remotely piloted aircraft means a remotely piloted aircraft that has a maximum take-off weight of at least 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 25 kg (55 pounds)
I read this as the subpart applies to the operation of ALL remotely piloted aircraft systems as a group, and it includes the subgroup of small remotely piloted aircraft, but is not limited to such group.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

So if the Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft subpart of CAR IX applies to "ALL remotely piloted aircraft systems", then 901.02 of that subpart must apply to micro drones as well right?
901.02 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system unless the remotely piloted aircraft is registered in accordance with this Division

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Good point, that doesn't seem to make any sense.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I realize it's confusing. Keep in mind that the current regulations were put together by Transport Canada, an agency currently headed by The Honourable Marc Garneau (the politician who can't figure out the difference between airport and aerodrome and who thinks alcohol is a clear and immediate danger to flight safety but fatigue isn't). Also keep in mind it's the first iteration and they only had six months to proofread. Maybe after Harper took the axe to all public services there was only one person in Transport Canada available to do the proofreading. Working 7 hours a day the poor Transport Canada worker would have to proofread at least 11 words an hour in order to get done in six months. Under those circumstances it's easy to say "It's not clear but what the hell, it's only the law, who's going to bother reading it anyway?"

Subpart I of Part IX is for small RPAS but also applies to larger systems, hence the strange wording. It does not apply to toys.

Return to “General Comments”