Westjet mask policy

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Westjet mask policy

Post by hotdog1 »

mbav8r wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:56 pm
hotdog1 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:43 am I’ve tried to not post but I just can’t restrain myself anymore
To all the people afraid of the virus -please, just go to stats Canada and look at the charts for “excess mortality”
You may be surprised to see that excess deaths are not killing Canadians in mass numbers.
I just looked, again, and there are many weeks of negative ‘excess deaths’ during this pandemic. There is even a note regarding one week in Nova Scotia when 37 excess deaths were reported-DONT get excited to think this number supports the fear agenda, the note attributes that high number to the mass shooting, not covid.
Just remember, most deaths are in LTC homes, so the virus killing these people is likely just speeding up the deaths of people that would most likely have died soon anyways, and don’t reply with “oh so you think old people’s lives don’t matter...”-the fact is we all die, and people in LTC homes are generally elderly and vulnerable and likely to die sooner rather than later.
Ask yourself, why is the media only reporting and repeating the numbers of cases’-as of cases mean automatic deaths. There is very little being said about hospitalization rates and ICU patients. Remember this was all about not overwhelming the health care system, that was accomplished BEFORE mask use.
The curve was flattened BEFORE mask use. The narrative has changed to one of “ifs” and “maybes” to keep the fear going.

If you’re not over 65 with serious underlying conditions then you are fine. People over 65 with serious underlying conditions are over 90% of deaths. That would leave about 1000 people dead over 6 months from this virus, over the same time period 135 000 Canadians have died of other causes. Diabetes and obesity account for 20% of deaths, that is far far more than covid.

So, to summarize, look at the hard data and the numbers and stop listening to the fear narrative being constantly repeated by the media as if we were all about to die if you don’t wear a mask.
You should have kept refraining, the majority is not all, leaving some risk for otherwise healthy young adults who would otherwise have lived long lives, who are you to decide that wearing a mask for those people is too much to ask.
How about the young healthy who contract it and bring it home to their elderly parents who is living with them because, they’re young enough not to need a care home.
Put yourself in the position of killing your elderly parent, the damage that would do to your psyche, to your marriage, to your relationship with your siblings and so on. Is a mask so much trouble to ask for, I mean if you don’t give a shit about the 1 foot in the grave LTC residents, at least the ones that were likely to lead a somewhat healthy golden years.
I have a parent living with me, I’m very careful going out and about but even before she moved in, I was taking those precautions, I was even wearing a mask before it became such a huge inconvenience for the inconsiderate aholes, who apparently don’t have anyone in their life worth the small yet apparently effective measure.
I honestly don’t understand why this is even a thing, even if it had a 10% chance of being 40% effective, I would still do it
Ok here you go
Don’t assume how I or my parents would feel. That’s just self righteous. I do understand your side of the argument depends on emotions and feelings. How do you know my elderly parents don’t support the anti mask and are willing to take the ‘chance’in order to live a happy, fear free life?
As for your LTC home comments, it’s funny that you would let them die alone-isolated from family, so I guess you don’t really care about quality of life at the end.

If the masks made such a difference, why the flip flop on mask policy-first it wasn’t a good way to prevent the spread, now it is??? And don’t try and use the “saving masks as PPE for hospitals” because ‘any face covering’ will do right??
Masks are not effective, no matter how many times you repeat it. The curve was flattened BEFORE mask mandates!! And now since masks mandated the numbers of cases are rising? That’s just counterintuitive isn’t it. More likely a combination of masks not being effective -remember when “proper mask use” was important, no touching, no removing and putting back on cause that would contaminate it. But now it’s actually recommended to repeatedly remove, put in dirty pocket etc , and giving people a false sense of security leading to less social distancing and less hand washing. But hey wear a mask! It’s saves lives and reduces transmission!!!! Lol

Maybe I will wear a mask-a dirty, contaminated mask-but you’ll feel better right??? Lol

If you want it wear one, go for it. But don’t be so selfish as to make new bylaws to enforce it on everyone
If you care so much about saving lives, it’s ironic that you accept a 700% increase in drug overdoses /deaths in BC as a direct result of increased substance abuse from economic losses, anxiety compounded by the closure/reduced capacity/funding and staffing of resource Centers. In BC the drug overdose deaths have exceeded covid deaths for three months. I’m glad you care so much about young people’s lives that you are willing to let them die of preventable drug overdoses and not covid.

You can scream people are selfish all you want while you virtue signal from your self righteous pulpit. You can be run by emotions and fear all you want, but the numbers and data tell a different story.
Very few young healthy people die or even get sick from covid.
If you live with elderly, vulnerable parents then nothing has changed for you or them, except the fear and anxiety level-which isn’t healthy.
You can feel better with a mask while destroying countless because of the negative effects of the covid restrictions -drug abuse, domestic abuse etc.
you won’t change anyone’s minds by repeated ignoring the data or calling people selfish or pretending that you or your parents choices in living life should dictate how others choose to live theirs.

Don’t forget to download the “tracking app” with the less than 4% of Canadians who have -it’s funny how the same people that supposedly overwhelmingly support masks don’t support an even less invasive safety measure like the tracing app. Is that yet another lie? Lol
Good luck to you
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

I actually find it unbelievable how adamant those who are pro mask are and how hard they push their beliefs.

We went from full on fear of terrorism. Remove your niqab and show your face, to the other day I was told by a gate agent not to remove my mask. She said I could put everyone's lives in danger and she only needs to see my eyes to identify me.

We always need something to be afraid of... No one's talking about terrorism as that was so 2000's.

We have bylaws to wear a mask yet pregnant mothers can drink alcohol and smoke cigarettes and receive less scrutiny from the social justice warriors. Yeah, covid is the only issue right? We should all wear a mask and just ignore anything else because CNN ain't talking about anything but covid and Trump.

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

hotdog1 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:32 pm Ok here you go
Don’t assume how I or my parents would feel. That’s just self righteous. I do understand your side of the argument depends on emotions and feelings. How do you know my elderly parents don’t support the anti mask and are willing to take the ‘chance’in order to live a happy, fear free life?
As for your LTC home comments, it’s fun .............
+ 1 to that post. Well said :) :)

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Don't worry folks, once you all get forced to take the Bill Gates corona vaccine, you won't need your masks anymore!

Let’s Go Brandon
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Jesus you people are stupid. You are the reason masks are mandatory, because you’re too goddamn dense to voluntarily follow simple precautions that save lives and get us past this thing as quickly as possible with the least impact. You are willfully dumb. You are an embarrassment to humanity.

So it’s mandatory. You don’t have to like it. You don’t have to stop being whiny bitches about it. But you DO have to put on the mask.

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Rockie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:38 pm Jesus you people are stupid. You are the reason masks are mandatory, because you’re too goddamn dense to voluntarily follow simple precautions that save lives and get us past this thing as quickly as possible with the least impact. You are willfully dumb. You are an embarrassment to humanity.

So it’s mandatory. You don’t have to like it. You don’t have to stop being whiny bitches about it. But you DO have to put on the mask.

Sounds to me like you're the one whining :roll:

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

Rockie wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:38 pm Jesus you people are stupid. You are the reason masks are mandatory, because you’re too goddamn dense to voluntarily follow simple precautions that save lives and get us past this thing as quickly as possible with the least impact. You are willfully dumb. You are an embarrassment to humanity.

You put one on or don't, I don't give a shit. When you go around telling others put one on, by force, then I got a problem. Your the one whining here, not us. :roll:

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Well said...

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

Wow! Lol
And the level of self righteous, immature name calling gets amped up a level lol
Anti maskers are the “stupid” ones?
I guess you have forgotten that the curve was flattened BEFORE mandatory masks
I guess you have forgotten the flip flop of mask use-we were told NOT to use masks or face coverings because people touch them to frequently and use them improperly to be effective but now you are actually being told to use one during sex. Lol
I guess you don’t want to acknowledge the steady climb in case numbers AFTER mandatory mask policies-most likely from the false sense of security they give people and the lax adherence to ‘social circles’ or social distancing or simple hand washing.

Last time I saw the expert, Marc Garneau-one of the many experts you blindly follow-He said there were only 2 cases of possible transmission of the virus on a plane to Canada. Notice he said possibly, not even confirmed. And thousands of people have been travelling daily by plane into Canada.And that was BEFORE westjests mandatory masks And you think masks are stopping transmission??

Masks are mandatory because people like you follow blindly and allow the govt massive overreach of their powers(Bill 195/197 for example), not because of anything the media tells you.

It is also ironic that you have the whiniest, bitchiest emotionally filled rant of anyone but see fit to say other people are whining lol

But most importantly you have no facts or data to support your argument. Just name calling and virtue signalling. It’s people like you that give rise to conspiracy theories. Here’s why, instead of having a mature discussion you resort to name calling, demeaning and attempted belittling of others because you are fueled by emotions. When confronted by these arguments, one can only conclude that they must be right, since no scientific or factual information has been presented as a rebuttal. And further to that, the person suffering the name calling and belittling is far less likely to admit being wrong just to avoid the embarrassment of being ‘called out’ and shamed thusly pushing them to further entrench and defend their ideas.

So go ahead and call people covidiots,embarrassments to humanity and so on. It just makes you look immature and has no value in a mature debate that depends on facts and data. But if that and a mask make you feel better, go for it! Lol

Last edited by hotdog1 on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Facts and reason bounce off the cement you people have for a brain. Masks are mandatory, put them on whether you have a problem with them or not. Simple instructions even kindergarten kids can follow, aspire to be as smart as them.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

hotdog1 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:29 am

Wow! Lol
And the level of self righteous, immature name calling gets amped up a level lol
I guess you have forgotten the flip flop of mask use-we were told NOT to use masks or face coverings because people touch them to frequently and use them improperly to be effective but now you are actually being told to use one during sex. Lol
I guess you don’t want to acknowledge the steady climb in case numbers AFTER mandatory mask policies-most likely from the false sense of security they give people and the lax adherence to ‘social circles’ or social distancing or simple hand washing.

Last time I saw the expert, Marc Garneau-one of the many experts you blindly follow-He said there were only 2 cases of possible transmission of the virus on a plane to Canada. Notice he said possibly, not even confirmed. And thousands of people have been travelling daily by plane into Canada.And that was BEFORE westjests mandatory masks And you think masks are stopping transmission??

Masks are mandatory because people like you follow blindly and allow the govt massive overreach of their powers(Bill 195/197 for example), not because of anything the media tells you.

It is also ironic that you have the whiniest, bitchiest emotionally filled rant of anyone but see fit to say other people are whining lol

But most importantly you have no facts or data to support your argument. Just name calling and virtue signalling. It’s people like you that give rise to conspiracy theories. Here’s why, instead of having a mature discussion you resort to name calling, demeaning and attempted belittling of others because you are fueled by emotions. When confronted by these arguments, one can only conclude that they must be right, since no scientific or factual information has been presented as a rebuttal. And further to that, the person suffering the name calling and belittling is far less likely to admit being wrong just to avoid the embarrassment of being ‘called out’ and shamed thusly pushing them to further entrench and defend their ideas.

So go ahead and call people covidiots,embarrassments to humanity and so on. It just makes you look immature and has no value in a mature debate that depends on facts and data. But if that and a mask make you feel better, go for it! Lol
Hotdog1,
I’m not sure where you are coming up with the “before” April 20 was when masks became mandatory on airplanes, and early on the experts were saying even with the masks on you should maintain physical distancing when you can. I will agree the mask will not be the silver bullet to end this virus but for @#$! sake only a moron can’t see that it will help. At the very least it could reduce the amount of viral load you do get, maybe leaning towards contracting a mild case.
But as Rockie pointed out, it’s mandatory so wear it or don’t travel

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

mbav8r wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:31 am
hotdog1 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:29 am

Wow! Lol

Hotdog1,
I’m not sure where you are coming up with the “before” April 20 was when masks became mandatory on airplanes, and early on the experts were saying even with the masks on you should maintain physical distancing when you can. I will agree the mask will not be the silver bullet to end this virus but for @#$! sake only a moron can’t see that it will help. At the very least it could reduce the amount of viral load you do get, maybe leaning towards contracting a mild case.
But as Rockie pointed out, it’s mandatory so wear it or don’t travel
So what? It’s not about “wear it or dont travel”, it’s about why, and if it’s effective.
As your pal rockie keeps saying, he has no evidence to prove effectiveness, just virtue signalling and name calling.
Not sure where you think masks were mandatory before April 20, they were recommended but not enforced with banishment or fines. The middle seat passenger was removed early on to placate the fearful masses but no fines or removal for non mask use.

I guess the viral load doesn’t matter as if you chew with your mouth open. So as another person pointed out already, maybe I will just snack for the entire flight and I won’t have to wear a mask-but you and rockie will feel better cause the rules are being followed???? Yup, that makes sense. Lol

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:41 am Facts and reason bounce off the cement you people have for a brain. Masks are mandatory, put them on whether you have a problem with them or not. Simple instructions even kindergarten kids can follow, aspire to be as smart as them.
Lol
Well that is quite the persuasive argument, fuelled by more name calling

As for the kindergarten kids comment- I know this is an extreme example and may trigger some but-hitler got a whole bunch of kids to follow his rules too, the “hitler youth”, so I guess you can indoctrinate children to do anything, the question is -should you??

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

To spell the point out hotdog, society (and I) gave up trying to convince people like you. You are simply being told what to do because you can’t figure it out for yourself. No discussion or argument...instructions.

Do you understand?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

You're all missing the point. It's irrelevant whether masks are effective or not. Same as it was irrelevant after 9/11 whether taking a crew's razors made aviation safer or not.

The point is the public perception of wearing masks makes them feel safer and more likely to return to flying. It could be a tin foil hat, but if Joe public believes that wearing it makes them safe and they buy an airline ticket to visit grandma then it keeps our industry alive. Wear a mask, doesn't matter if it works or not, it makes people feel safer and therefore more likely to exit their house and spend money.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Silly selfish little people, it's truly the "me" generation suck it up and think about others for a change!

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Keep in mind that death is only one possible outcome of contracting COVID-19. There's also the raft of correlated conditions that have shown up in people who were otherwise very healty (young people, world-class athletes, etc) who are now negatively affected for who knows how long because hey, this is a new virus and the scientists are still learning about it.

"The curve was flattened before masks were mandatory..." WTF? The curve has not been flattened. The growth hasn't even slowed in many areas, apart from a few countries that are mostly geographically isolated. The reason it's as good as it is, is quite likely that many people *are* following the social distancing and masking guidelines that have been recommended. The anti-maskers are getting by because of the "herd immunity" generated by the rest of us. But we already know about people like that, they avoid vaccines too for the same uneducated reasons.

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:41 am Facts and reason bounce off the cement you people have for a brain. Masks are mandatory, put them on whether you have a problem with them or not. Simple instructions even kindergarten kids can follow, aspire to be as smart as them.
tbaylx wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:36 am You're all missing the point. It's irrelevant whether masks are effective or not. Same as it was irrelevant after 9/11 whether taking a crew's razors made aviation safer or not.

The point is the public perception of wearing masks makes them feel safer and more likely to return to flying. It could be a tin foil hat, but if Joe public believes that wearing it makes them safe and they buy an airline ticket to visit grandma then it keeps our industry alive. Wear a mask, doesn't matter if it works or not, it makes people feel safer and therefore more likely to exit their house and spend money.
You are both making the assumption that there are only two types of people - mask supporters and anti-maskers. You'd both be wrong. Not everyone is on one side or the other and no, we are not all missing the point. The difference between both of your posts is that one of you is using your opinion generator to send signals to your fingers to smash those keys in frustration to display your self righteousness and it's making you look like a complete ass.

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

Rockie wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:06 am To spell the point out hotdog, society (and I) gave up trying to convince people like you. You are simply being told what to do because you can’t figure it out for yourself. No discussion or argument...instructions.

Do you understand?
Lol
Sure doesn’t seem like you have given up, I guess you don’t understand your own words.
Can’t figure what out?? That what society is being told doesn’t add up? Maybe you should try thinking for yourself.
You still haven’t seen any actual evidence to support your point of view, just name calling.

Unlike you, I will never give up on freedom, science and common sense in the name of ‘being told what to do for your own safety’ without factual evidence. It is your democratic duty to question authority-and follow of it makes sense and is lawful. It is not your duty to blindly follow because some ‘expert’ and their political pals said so.

Let’s see if you have really given up as you claim, cause that seems to be false as well lol
Do you understand truth??

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Not sure anyone will find relevance in my next comment,but it came from an old captain who flew Boeing’s 18 wheeler to Asia for the last 10 years of his career - If the guy writing my cheque’s tells me to fly it upside down then that’s what I’ll do.
Pretty sure if he was told it’s mandatory to wear a mask in the cabin then he would.

Daryl

Return to “General Comments”