IFR flight test tablet requirments?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

socsbrian
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: IFR flight test tablet requirments?

Post by socsbrian »

Thank you for all the advises guys. I finally got my rating!
I have another question though. Anyone know what a flow number is for?
I remember I was told to obtain one when I did my IFR cross country with my instructor.
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Approaches for training purposes are limited, due to airspace congestion in some places (like within 100nm of YYZ). You have to book a slot with the traffic management unit at Pearson and get a flow number before you can file an IFR training flight plan.

Obvopiously there’s no restriction for an actual IFR flight.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:13 pm Obvopiously there’s no restriction for an actual IFR flight.
Say what now?

Toronto has quite the flow program. You need to book slots for take off and landing, even private planes, and you can still get flow times on top of that.

Unless small single engine pistons are exempt, but I would be highly surprised about that.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I don't mean CYYZ.

I don't believe you need to book a slot to fly IFR into CYHM, or CYXU. But if you look in the CFS, it says under CYHM
"IFR trng flts are to ctc Toronto flow CTL 800-268-4831 2 hours prior to ETD for possible delays", and the same for CYXU.

It *used* to say that for all IFR training flights within 100NM of YYZ, but I can't find that restriction any more, just for those two airports, so it looks like restrictions on IFR training at CYTZ, CYKZ and CYOO, CYKF and others have been relaxed.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

That makes sense, thanks!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Oops my bad. Applies to CYKF too.

socsbrian
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by socsbrian »

photofly wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:13 pm Approaches for training purposes are limited, due to airspace congestion in some places (like within 100nm of YYZ). You have to book a slot with the traffic management unit at Pearson and get a flow number before you can file an IFR training flight plan.

Obvopiously there’s no restriction for an actual IFR flight.
Oh....so if I plan to fly to CYXU, and want to do one approach there then go missed, then head back to my departure aerodrome, do I have to obtain a flow number as well (because I don't have landing intention at CYXU)...?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Yes. In theory, when you file a flight plan to go missed at CYXU, FSS will require your flow number.

socsbrian
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by socsbrian »

Thank you guys, You guys are really helpful! However, the more I study, the more I get confused it seems lol...now I have another question...
I am looking at the LOC or NDB RWY 30 approach at CYHM Hamilton.

If I am coming from the West, and I want to do the full procedure, how am I going to know when I need to make the procedure turn to the right with only a LOC or NDB...?
The plate doesn't say anything about GNSS required, so it should be do-able with just either a LOC or NDB? Am I interpreting something wrong here..?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

You can’t fly the approach with only a localizer receiver, you need an ADF (or, obviously, GPS) too. Then estimate your ground speed and use a stopwatch beacon outbound.

Return to “General Comments”