New Facebook Group for laid off Canadian Aviation workers

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

New Facebook Group for laid off Canadian Aviation workers

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

This a group where aviation workers who were made redundant by their employers because of border closures caused by the COVID-19 crisis can make their existence known to the Federal and Provincial Governments of Canada.

Please post your name, the company you used to work for, what you did, your picture when at your aviation related job

Then invite all your Facebook aviation friends who were also laid off by their employers after the beginning of the COVID crisis

We want airport employees, ground agents, airport concession employees, CATSA, Airline employees, anyone whose jobs was closely or remotely related to aviation and who was laid off or terminated as a result of the COVID crisis.

We want you to post your name, where you worked, for how long, and even a picture of you at your aviation job.......

The goal of this Group is two-fold:

To allow the people in Government who just consider us as statistics, to put a human face on us, second, to disseminate all news related to our employment condition by governments, the employers and the unions.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3564215 ... 55/members

Please, no trash, no insults.
---------- ADS -----------

Cappo1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: New Facebook Group for laid off Canadian Aviation workers

Post by Cappo1 »

Gilles, you should really consider the position the WHO and Dr. Tam ( who works for them) have been taking vis-à-vis the virus and global travel restrictions. At first you wanted all carriers to stop service completely ( the day of the most recent and dreadful Transat webinar ) and now you are calling for an opening of the borders and an end to the quarantine - despite surging numbers in Europe and India. According to french media, the second wave in Europe has arrived a month early than forecasted. So by opening routes to the UK and the rest of Europe, not only would you be exposing Canada from passengers thwarting quaratine ( I know of several who have dared ventured out of their homes to risk a Starbucks run) but most importantly airlines serving these cities risk their crew members laying over in potential flare up regions , crews getting locked down overseas, all the while transporting dismal loads across the oceans bleeding any cash reserves they may have at hand. Looks like the porter strategy seems to be the winner after all. Hibernation.

Speaking of marching Ottawa, didn't you petition politicians in 2012 to ban foreign pilots from operating? While you may have thought you won that battle, foreign pilots were back in the cockpit in 2016 and in 2019, Transat made an announcement under the Canadian corporations business act, increasing foreign levels of ownership. - how does this help with the Canadian entrepreneurship? Didn't you have foreign pilots operating their 737s on your behalf last winter, keeping your company afloat? I didn't hear you complaining about any of this. And with Trudeau's green plan, and the Paris accord , this has just opened the can of worms for foreign airlines to flood the Canadian domestic and intl market.

Trudeau knows this, so don't expect a bailout

Attachments
Screenshot_20200913-155304.png
Screenshot_20200913-155304.png (333.27 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
planebored
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by planebored »

Ah yes, a zoomed in stats sheet with no context.

Cappo1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cappo1 »

And? What's your point ? You want links? That was worldometers.info or there are many more that will show you .

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

That is going to be one depressing FB group, I think I'd off myself if ever I read it.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

I’ve seen sneak peaks of this group, the only thing I am confused about is the main reason for the groups being is to bring support and awareness to aviation professionals made redundant due to covid-19. I have noticed the odd person who states themselves as a former Georgian employee, whose layoff date doesn’t line up with the majority of the others.
While I support everyone off work and wish every single furloughed aviation professional all the best including those Georgian employees. I wonder what the optics are with having non-covid related layoffs in a covid support group, if the purpose is to get media/political attention.
Just my 0.02$, thanks for all your hard work!

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

How about an ex Georgian laid off pre Covid cannot possibly find any work because of massive COVID layoffs ? Does that qualify him ?
We have a laid off Tim Hortons employee in YUL on the Group. Many other recognized him and greeted him.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Cappo1 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:38 pm Gilles, you should really consider the position the WHO and Dr. Tam ( who works for them) have been taking vis-à-vis the virus and global travel restrictions. At first you wanted all carriers to stop service completely ( the day of the most recent and dreadful Transat webinar ) and now you are calling for an opening of the borders and an end to the quarantine - despite surging numbers in Europe and India. According to french media, the second wave in Europe has arrived a month early than forecasted. So by opening routes to the UK and the rest of Europe, not only would you be exposing Canada from passengers thwarting quaratine ( I know of several who have dared ventured out of their homes to risk a Starbucks run) but most importantly airlines serving these cities risk their crew members laying over in potential flare up regions , crews getting locked down overseas, all the while transporting dismal loads across the oceans bleeding any cash reserves they may have at hand. Looks like the porter strategy seems to be the winner after all. Hibernation.

Speaking of marching Ottawa, didn't you petition politicians in 2012 to ban foreign pilots from operating? While you may have thought you won that battle, foreign pilots were back in the cockpit in 2016 and in 2019, Transat made an announcement under the Canadian corporations business act, increasing foreign levels of ownership. - how does this help with the Canadian entrepreneurship? Didn't you have foreign pilots operating their 737s on your behalf last winter, keeping your company afloat? I didn't hear you complaining about any of this. And with Trudeau's green plan, and the Paris accord , this has just opened the can of worms for foreign airlines to flood the Canadian domestic and intl market.

Says the July 2020 created profile, because you had been discovered under your old one. By a man and post under your real name like I do. I own what I write.

Mr 777 Captain that owns a cottage with a dock and that flies to Hong Kong.....

Same king of BS you used to post under your old handle......

I see you became a member of the Group. I hope it benefits you. You must be starving poor boy......

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:25 am How about an ex Georgian laid off pre Covid cannot possibly find any work because of massive COVID layoffs ? Does that qualify him ?
We have a laid off Tim Hortons employee in YUL on the Group. Many other recognized him and greeted him.
That’s great the ex tim hortons employee was welcomed openly, he/she lost their job due to covid’s effect on aviation.
If your goal is to present this group and it’s members to politicians and the media, if they do digging and realize people post in the covid lay-off group actually got permanent job losses due to a contract loss well before covid it could result in bad optics and look as though you’re trying to fudge the numbers.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

porcsord wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:30 pm That is going to be one depressing FB group, I think I'd off myself if ever I read it.
It's not like that, there is sadness but also lots of kind words, and optimism. For me putting faces and real stories to the job losses helps me remember I'm not alone.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 am
Cappo1 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:38 pm Gilles, you should really consider the position the WHO and Dr. Tam ( who works for them) have been taking vis-à-vis the virus and global travel restrictions. At first you wanted all carriers to stop service completely ( the day of the most recent and dreadful Transat webinar ) and now you are calling for an opening of the borders and an end to the quarantine - despite surging numbers in Europe and India. According to french media, the second wave in Europe has arrived a month early than forecasted. So by opening routes to the UK and the rest of Europe, not only would you be exposing Canada from passengers thwarting quaratine ( I know of several who have dared ventured out of their homes to risk a Starbucks run) but most importantly airlines serving these cities risk their crew members laying over in potential flare up regions , crews getting locked down overseas, all the while transporting dismal loads across the oceans bleeding any cash reserves they may have at hand. Looks like the porter strategy seems to be the winner after all. Hibernation.

Says the July 2020 created profile, because you had been discovered under your old one. By a man and post under your real name like I do. I own what I write.

I see you became a member of the Group. I hope it benefits you. You must be starving poor boy......
5 and a game for "Unsportsmanlike Conduct!" Practice what ya preach Gilles. You ordered no trash talk on the other FB site yet it's ok for you to post it here? Not a very good example.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:04 am
Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:25 am How about an ex Georgian laid off pre Covid cannot possibly find any work because of massive COVID layoffs ? Does that qualify him ?
That’s great the ex tim hortons employee was welcomed openly, he/she lost their job due to covid’s effect on aviation.
If your goal is to present this group and it’s members to politicians and the media, if they do digging and realize people post in the covid lay-off group actually got permanent job losses due to a contract loss well before covid it could result in bad optics and look as though you’re trying to fudge the numbers.
Covid has been one long exercise in fudging numbers. I don’t think anyone will notice in this case.

Cappo1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cappo1 »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:37 am

Speaking of marching Ottawa, didn't you petition politicians in 2012 to ban foreign pilots from operating? While you may have thought you won that battle, foreign pilots were back in the cockpit in 2016 and in 2019, Transat made an announcement under the Canadian corporations business act, increasing foreign levels

I joined here officially because my colleagues were often speaking about what's being written in regard to the purchase agreement and the threat to merge seniority. I had something to say and I did. No more and no less. I'm here to stay so do not try to throw curveballs. I am not on that group . Why would I beat a dead horse? Putting a photo on social media and details of when I began and ended my career is futile. I am still flying. No apology on that . I have earned my seniority number. You are the one who fails to answer to rationale. Air Transat should give you a psyche evaluation based on your hysterical post 2 weeks ago. Gilles, you can come hang out on my dock anytime. I think you would benefit from relaxing and trying to come to terms that the pandemic caused this situation and we are all affected by it . If you do not understand that then go to PPRUNE and Airliners.net. You might be convinced it's sort of world wide aviation plight and it's far bigger than every airline in Canada combined .

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Crappo; on a side note Gilles is also still flying. The real question is: will he get a higher seniority number than yours when the merge will happen? :lol:

Cappo1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Cappo1 »

FL320 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:23 pm Crappo; on a side note Gilles is also still flying. The real question is: will he get a higher seniority number than yours when the merge will happen? :lol:
Merge? Dream on. Impossible now.

Torontomaplelaughs
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Torontomaplelaughs »

[/quote]

I joined here officially because my colleagues were often speaking about what's being written in regard to the purchase agreement and the threat to merge seniority. I had something to say and I did. No more and no less. I'm here to stay so do not try to throw curveballs. I am not on that group . Why would I beat a dead horse? Putting a photo on social media and details of when I began and ended my career is futile. I am still flying. No apology on that . I have earned my seniority number. You are the one who fails to answer to rationale. Air Transat should give you a psyche evaluation based on your hysterical post 2 weeks ago. Gilles, you can come hang out on my dock anytime. I think you would benefit from relaxing and trying to come to terms that the pandemic caused this situation and we are all affected by it . If you do not understand that then go to PPRUNE and Airliners.net. You might be convinced it's sort of world wide aviation plight and it's far bigger than every airline in Canada combined .
[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I am pro seniority. I couldn't imagine the amount of circle jerking that would occur on Yammer if we didn't have some simple way of sorting out the group but gimme a break.

Yes you "earned" it by not dying. Congrats.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

planebored wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:49 pm Ah yes, a zoomed in stats sheet with no context.
:lol:
exactly

Return to “General Comments”