Aviation Based Protest in Ottawa this Coming Week

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

The Prof
Rank 1
Rank 1

Aviation Based Protest in Ottawa this Coming Week

Post by The Prof »

Does anybody have any further information about an Aviation Protest in Ottawa this coming Wednesday? I'm no longer on Social Media so trying to get some context and information on the current plan of action.
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Aviation Based Protest in Ottawa this Coming Week

Post by co-joe »

I think the 23rd is the first day Parliament sits again, so if you want your voice heard before selfie boy shuts it down again and turns his back, it might be the only chance to stage a meaningful protest.

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

What’s the protest for ? ( what specific issue)

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

https://news.paxeditions.com/news/buzz/ ... zT-FAFnB0I

How about some common sense from the government to either ease restrictions with more testing or money for the industry LIKE EVERY OTHER COUNTRY.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Mr. Dressup doesn't listen to taxpayers.
Personally, I'm against the easing of restrictions. Period. Look at the numbers. A gazillion idiots still aren't following the basics which is why I don't think they should be flying around the world perpetuating this pandemic.
As for testing at the airport, good idea, if only...
What I wouldn't give to have life back to normal? But, I don't think that's likely to happen anytime soon.

Here's an interesting comment from Aviation Week.

"The problems with airport onsite COVID tests are multifold. Current tests take hours to process, which poses the problem of having people wait somewhere until the results come through. Hong Kong Airport has been doing this for all arriving passengers for some months, but that means passengers must sit in the adjacent convention center for hours after their flight. Many airports do not have a viable “waiting room,” and many passengers would not accept waiting that long, especially for a short domestic flight, which is the majority of travel that U.S. passengers are taking.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is calling for a system that would allow a passenger to get a test done 72 hr. ahead of their flight. But the testing would need to be widely available, reliable, approved by all regulatory authorities involved and as non-intrusive as possible. These criteria are not yet available.

Then there’s the question of verifying that the test result belongs to the passenger who presents it at the airport/airline. And there is no agreement on who should pay.

IATA is hopeful that a testing system that would fit the criteria will become available soon, maybe this fall, and it will likely be a next step ahead of any vaccine."

Gino Under :partyman:

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

https://www.google.ca/search?q=ebola+pp ... IgPbpBJfEM

Wear protection .

Trade in your fear , and upgrade to Confidence :)

The correct accoutrements are essential or it is not a protest worth attending !

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Oh, oh. Attempt at Sarcasm Failure checklist! I have control...

So, to be clear, money over lives. Always the safe way to go, eh?
Open the flood gates and ignore the science. Relax the travel restrictions and throw away the on-site testing because travelers don't mind waiting hours or days for test results. Sounds reasonable to me.
Travelers can take it up the a** for a little while longer. That should keep them loyal. While we're at it, let's try cost recovery by hiking the price of travel so we don't have to see our precious airlines suffer more unnecessary expenses.
Sounds like a great way to travel.
Hell, the vaccine is but weeks away from public distribution. These inconveniences are probably no worse than before this pandemic, eh? But hey, with only a 30% market recovery, compared with last year, who's interested in flying, maybe the competition will eliminate some of the competition. We have way too many airlines anyway. Right? Somebody in Canada has to fail. No?

Who's willing to gamble that they won't get this virus?
Who's willing to gamble that even if they do, they won't die from it or suffer long term effects?
Who's to say this f**king virus isn't seasonal and we won't be doing this stand-down BS for much longer than we care to?
Who's willing to gamble their airline won't fail?
Who knows when passengers will return to the sky even when currently there are flights departing hourly with no increase in passenger loads?
But, relaxing restrictions and on-site testing will change the dynamic. Great!!!
I'm in.

Dramatic changes could positively affect what's going on right now if everyone could just do the simple things the epidemiologists are recommending. But I guess that's too simple for some.
Truth is, we could be out of this BS in a few weeks if only.

I want my normal back.

Gino Under
:drinkers:

...pointing to Ebola means, you don't understand this virus.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

The industry has to get back to normal and somebody has to pay. Pandemics are a hoax and 80% of the population is fine and they need to fly to help the airlines survive.
Well, there are no guarantees in life, so there’s no guarantee your airline will survive.

“No airline, airline employee, airport or company serving the air transport industry bears fault for or could have forecast the devastation wrought by the COVID-19 pandemic. Global fear of virus transmission, border closures, quarantines and economic uncertainty have inflicted an almost unimaginable toll on this industry in terms of lost revenue, jobs and even futures.

Even so, the speed with which so many airlines, including most large legacy carriers, descended from boom to would-be bust without government aid indicates a need for a fundamental rethink of how most airlines operate and their cash balance versus cost base.

Running an airline is a high-cost business. Safety, which is every airline’s top priority, is expensive. Aircraft and everything on and in them are expensive. Fuel, even at its lower price end, is a major proportion of cost because of the volumes needed. Government taxes and airport fees can be disproportionately high. And labor is often the highest cost of all.

Government support that has been given to airlines in some, but not all, countries has been crucial to keeping them afloat through extremely difficult times. But it cannot be a long-term, recurring prop. To better prepare themselves for an extended COVID-induced economic downturn, airlines must restructure, preferably outside of a bankruptcy court. And they must put a much higher priority on building strong cash reserves.

Legacy and major airlines must also grasp that the pandemic has stripped them down to commodity level. The world’s ultra-LCCs are now in a position to offer equal or better service than the “full-service” carriers. The ultra-LCCs’ ancillary revenue model means they continue to offer the same for-sale onboard snacks, beverages and amenities they served before COVID struck. Many major carriers, meanwhile, have suspended all onboard service. Many airline club lounges, for which even high-tier customers typically pay a high fee, are closed. What’s to distinguish the full-service carrier from the ultra-LCC?

Meanwhile, the more agile, innovative and less union-controlled ultra-LCCs are turning to digitalization and technology to push costs even lower while giving customers the instant information and automation they need more than ever.

Some legacy carriers are recognizing the sweeping structural changes compelled by the pandemic and its aftermath. Cathay Pacific Group has taken the difficult but brave decision to decline a second tranche of government wage subsidies for its mainline carrier, acknowledging that what is needed now is a long-term plan to make Cathay the right size, shape and cost for what it calls “the new reality.”

All airlines are now in the new reality. Only those that adapt will survive.”

-Aviation Week Editorial

Sounds about right to me.
Gino Under

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

So how was the protest? Dockers and golf shirts as far as the eye could see?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

The issue is that this government is on the road to putting the airlines out of business. If the airlines collapse, the airports will go bankrupt, as will all of the vendors who do business there, as will Navcanada, and a whole host of others. It's bigger than the pilots, flight attendants, and AMEs. Our entire way of life could be at stake here and selfie boy has his pretty little head buried in the sand.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Stop being such selfish a$$holes!!
-- here here -the one thing I have learned from this "new normal" it has brought the crazy self centred and selfish people out of the woodwork. It's not about you or me it's about others, what a shock, doing something for the good of people and not yourself.
The issue is that this government is on the road to putting the airlines out of business. If the airlines collapse, the airports will go bankrupt, as will all of the vendors who do business there, as will Navcanada, and a whole host of others. It's bigger than the pilots, flight attendants, and AMEs. Our entire way of life could be at stake here and selfie boy has his pretty little head buried in the sand.
Really, too much whacky tabky, if you think governments are doing this on purpose - oh my -

As far as rules implemented, it has become painfully obvious a large group of people will not break from their selfish ways. One just need to gaze south of the border.

Protest indeed, stay at home and help prevent the spread of this virus. Criticise the government then expect hand outs and bail outs. I digress, pissing into the wind was never a good thing.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
planebored
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by planebored »

Ah yes the spread of the virus...

Return to “General Comments”