Interesting idea for fuel savings

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Interesting idea for fuel savings

Post by North Shore »

Fascinating idea.. I wonder how it will work in practice?

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/airb ... index.html
As far back as a century ago, avian scientists began to understand that birds were increasing aerodynamic efficiencies by flying in close formation, taking advantage of the changed airflow in each bird's wake.
With that in mind, the Airbus fello'fly flight demonstration project will fly two large commercial aircraft in formation, looking to mimic the energy savings of our feathered friends.
---------- ADS -----------

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Interesting idea for fuel savings

Post by challenger_nami »

It really is a very interesting idea, and I would love to see it tested. And I know there will be positive results confirming that there are fuel savings with flying in formation.

We already know that here on Earth there are fuel savings for small cars to be driving in the wake of larger cars ... ie trucks. That was demonstrated and confirmed by the TV show MYTHBUSTERS. but most of us don’t drive like that because it’s too risky.

In aviation, this idea will be possible when Autopilot systems become precise and dependable enough to make it safe for two airplanes fly so close to each other.

The other issue is passenger comfort.

And after resolving the above issues, why would we want to fly 2 airplanes that are flying the same route ... let’s say Boeing 737s in formation, when we can combine both of them in one larger plane like 777?

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
Scuderia
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Scuderia »

challenger_nami wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:04 pmAnd after resolving the above issues, why would we want to fly 2 airplanes that are flying the same route ... let’s say Boeing 737s in formation, when we can combine both of them in one larger plane like 777?
Two 777 or A380-esque airplanes could realize some shared savings without the development of a massive airplane that would necessitate significant infrastructure changes eg. widening and extending runways. Perhaps some day when passenger loads start needing larger airplanes that need more than 10,000x200. Seems unlikely.

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Scuderia wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:38 pm
challenger_nami wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:04 pmAnd after resolving the above issues, why would we want to fly 2 airplanes that are flying the same route ... let’s say Boeing 737s in formation, when we can combine both of them in one larger plane like 777?
Two 777 or A380-esque airplanes could realize some shared savings without the development of a massive airplane that would necessitate significant infrastructure changes eg. widening and extending runways. Perhaps some day when passenger loads start needing larger airplanes that need more than 10,000x200. Seems unlikely.
Or, groups of planes could form a "convoy" formation for a transatlantic crossing, joining up in flight after departing different airports in one continent, saving each other fuel for the transoceanic portion, and then landing at separate airports in the next continent.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

Scuderia wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:38 pm Two 777 or A380-esque airplanes could realize some shared savings without the development of a massive airplane that would necessitate significant infrastructure changes eg. widening and extending runways. Perhaps some day when passenger loads start needing larger airplanes that need more than 10,000x200. Seems unlikely.
Yes. Maybe one day passenger loads increase so much to necessitate formation flying instead of a SUPER LARGE airplane even larger than Airbus 380. But I think that would be decades away .

For now, Airbus is sadly stopping the A380 production line because there are/were not enough passengers and routes to fill them, even pre-COVID.

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions

Return to “General Comments”