Canadian CPL to FAA CPL

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Pcpilot12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Canadian CPL to FAA CPL

Post by Pcpilot12 »

Hey everyone,

Over the next few months I will be converting my Canadian CPL and IFR to the FAA equivalent. I’ve already contacted a FSDO and had my Canadian license verified by the CAA and Transport Canada. Now I need to write the required knowledge tests. What study material does everyone recommend? I found an app from dauntless aviation that seems promising, but I thought I would ask before making the purchase. Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Canadian CPL to FAA CPL

Post by challenger_nami »

GLEIM AVIATION is another option.
It was ok. I don’t know how it compares to Dauntless.

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

GLEIM definitely covers the material.

Pcpilot12
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Pcpilot12 »

Thanks guys

StudentPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by StudentPilot »

I used the Dauntless program a number of years ago and it was fine. All the questions from the question bank and good explanations of the answers. I recall the question banks are all pblic information so all of the programs should have them all.

I think it was 10% of the questions did not need to be from the question bank (real world testing of new questions before being added) so whatever you use you will most likely see a few different and potentially difficult questions.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

StudentPilot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:21 pm I used the Dauntless program a number of years ago and it was fine. All the questions from the question bank and good explanations of the answers. I recall the question banks are all pblic information so all of the programs should have them all.

I think it was 10% of the questions did not need to be from the question bank (real world testing of new questions before being added) so whatever you use you will most likely see a few different and potentially difficult questions.
The questions bank is no longer public information. From the FAA:

Why did the FAA knowledge test include so many questions I had never seen before?
The FAA makes every effort to maintain the integrity and security of actual knowledge test questions through regular review and revision of the test question item bank. We have recently intensified this review and revision process, so it is increasingly unlikely that applicants will see an exact match between sample questions and actual test questions.
The FAA does not publish actual knowledge test questions, in part because at least two independent studies indicate that publication of active questions could negatively affect learning and understanding, as well as undermine the validity of the knowledge test as an assessment tool.
The agency does provide sample knowledge tests on the FAA website. The questions in these sample tests are intended to help applicants understand the scope and type of knowledge that will be tested to qualify for the target certificate or rating. The goal is for applicants to devote their efforts to mastering the fundamental aeronautical knowledge necessary for safe operations in the National Airspace System (NAS) rather than to memorizing specific questions and answers.
The questions that you may have seen and studied in commercially-available materials have been developed by test preparation providers for similar reasons – that is, to enable applicants to study concepts and practice calculations specified in the 14 CFR part 61 “aeronautical knowledge” requirements for each airman certificate or rating. These are not, and should not be represented to be, “real” questions.
In some cases, unscrupulous test preparation providers have sought to obtain actual test questions by overtly or otherwise encouraging knowledge test takers to share information about actual questions and possible answers immediately after taking the knowledge test. The FAA has taken action against such companies. You should also be aware that an applicant’s participation in such practices could be a violation of 14 CFR part 61, section 61.37 (“Knowledge tests: Cheating or other unauthorized conduct.”)

StudentPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by StudentPilot »

About time...that always seemed like a ridiculous way to do things.

Flapsupshutup
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Flapsupshutup »

I just did that conversion in July. Crappy with covid! FAA may be able to issue a temporary licence using zoom. Gleim works, just go over the whole Cpl course not just the Canadian conversion questions. Easy and only takes 15mins to write

AnonPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AnonPilot »

Did the conversion over a year ago now. The exams are easy and straight forward. The dauntless app covers most the material.

It might be difficult to get across the border to write the exams these days.

One other thing to note is that they will only issue ratings for which you can show PIC time. So unless you have Multi-PIC time from a job or private aircraft they won't issue a multi-engine rating.

Return to “General Comments”