Canada ATPL convert to USA FAA ATP License

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BodhiWes
Rank 1
Rank 1

Canada ATPL convert to USA FAA ATP License

Post by BodhiWes »

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone here has been successful with this process. Essentially, a Canadian citizen who is a Canadian Pilot with an ATPL license has gotten a FAA ATP conversion license? I have been reading about it and read over the FAA AC (link below) but wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge and experience on the subject? Any help or info would be great. Thanks

Also, I am aware the travel by Canadians and Americans have dropped by approximately 96% and 1000s of pilots have been laid off but I am still interested in this conversion process. Thank you

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/medi ... 1-135A.pdf
---------- ADS -----------

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Canada ATPL convert to USA FAA ATP License

Post by telex »

Search the threads for all the info you need.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

This question gets asked at least twice a month. Plus all the info is in the FAA and Transport Canada advisory circulars.

BodhiWes
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BodhiWes »

Thank you for your responses.

Maybe someone can answer this for me? Regarding the phrase "Legally able to work in the USA," how is this obtained? Airlines like United state this in the hiring requirements.

EasyTarget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EasyTarget »

Google is your friend:

"If you are legally authorized to work in the US (as in, you are a US citizen, US permanent resident, or in the US with a workers Visa) then the answer is Yes. Otherwise, you should answer No, in which case the employer may or may not assist you in getting legal authorization to work in the US."

flyinggenius35
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyinggenius35 »

BodhiWes wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:46 am Thank you for your responses.

Maybe someone can answer this for me? Regarding the phrase "Legally able to work in the USA," how is this obtained? Airlines like United state this in the hiring requirements.
Impossible to do. You’re out of luck unless you marry an American.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

Remember that as part of the conversion you're going to have to complete the ATP-CTP course. This course costs between $4000-$5000. It is a prerequisite for writing the ATP knowledge test. There's unfortunately no way around it.

JZYHZ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by JZYHZ »

Hey there, I am interested in converting my license too, I have both the SAMRA and SARON complete, but not the hours for the license. Would I have to submit my ATPL before I am able to write the conversion exam. I have called multiple people and talked face to face with others, they all tell me to look online, which I have, but I havent been able to find if the ATPL needs to be completely submitted before the exam is written.

Chaxterium
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Chaxterium »

JZYHZ wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:59 am Hey there, I am interested in converting my license too, I have both the SAMRA and SARON complete, but not the hours for the license. Would I have to submit my ATPL before I am able to write the conversion exam. I have called multiple people and talked face to face with others, they all tell me to look online, which I have, but I havent been able to find if the ATPL needs to be completely submitted before the exam is written.
You have to have your ATPL before you can write the exam. You can't convert something you don't have.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Chaxterium wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:33 am
JZYHZ wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:59 am Hey there, I am interested in converting my license too, I have both the SAMRA and SARON complete, but not the hours for the license. Would I have to submit my ATPL before I am able to write the conversion exam. I have called multiple people and talked face to face with others, they all tell me to look online, which I have, but I havent been able to find if the ATPL needs to be completely submitted before the exam is written.
You have to have your ATPL before you can write the exam. You can't convert something you don't have.
+1

Exactly, part of the process is that you have the FAA find out from TC what exactly you have and then the FAA will tell you what you can be given. If you do not have an ATPL (which based on what you say, you don’t) then you can’t “convert” it until you have it. Prerequisites for any conversion exam require you to first have the credential to be converted.

Return to “General Comments”