Flying Night VFR on an Aeronca Champ 7DC?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Flying Night VFR on an Aeronca Champ 7DC?

Post by challenger_nami »

PilotDAR wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:11 pm
I was not intending to show you up. It was a valid point.
Thank you for your courtesy, but I don't agree that drifting the topic with the introduction of ADS-B, in a discussion about night lighting requirements, is a valid point in this context. Doing so takes the discussion away from the topic that the OP wished to discuss with no benefit.

In the mean time, the OP may have found the answer he/she needed, despite the distraction.
These conversations very often tend to evolve(drift). That is inevitable.

As a matter of fact,... without intending to point blame, your own point evolved (drifted) the conversation from the Grandfatheribility of the Beacon toooooooooo the airworthiness in different jurisdictions. Which is fine.... as I said, conversations evolve.

I am outta here. Good evening y’all.

Now Back to the main topic of:
requirement of Anti Collision Light for Night VFR in Canada.
---------- ADS -----------

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

There's a very old saying... "if you need to ask, you can't afford it"

I'm not saying anything about your finances, and it would be stupid of me to do so. But I do think that if you need to ask about this, it may not be a wise idea. But lest I forget to remind everyone, I know nothing.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

My only question here is "why"

Legal is not always safe so again why would you want or need to fly a champ at night. Are you building time for licenses or are you a hobbyist.

I'm not criticising, I'm just interested why would you go to all the time and expense to fly a champ at night. New private pilot and a champ at night is a high risk situation.

Good decision to buy a champ and fly conventional gear, my initial 3 hours of flight training was on a champ then I changed to a J3 cub for all but night flying, rented a 172 and did night circuits at Pearson all night to finish my night rating for my commercial.

I does my heart good to see you have the passion for to step back in history. Get out there and find and fly those small grass strips, you will have a ball. Get it off the pavement to really enjoy it.

cheers

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

“Legal is not always safe so again why would you want or need to fly a champ at night. Are you building time for licenses or are you a hobbyist.

I'm not criticising, I'm just interested why would you go to all the time and expense to fly a champ at night. New private pilot and a champ at night is a high risk situation.”

May I ask why you think this? I did my PPL, night and about half of my CPL on a 1967 citabria. Why are you any safer flying a C172 at night? (Not trying to start anything just asking) after the Citabria we had a C150 the only thing that was a little nicer about it was it had a few more post lights but felt safe in both.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I think flying a properly equipped Champ at night is perfectly fine. It's no worse than any other type, and if you actually had to make a black hole forced landing, might actually be a little better (lighter, slower & a little more suited to off airport than most). I get the shivers more flying the 182RG at night than my 150. I can get my 150 onto the ground in the beam of my landing light better than I could in the 182RG!

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

I get the shivers more flying the 182RG at night than my 150. I can get my 150 onto the ground in the beam of my landing light better than I could in the 182RG!
I get shivers flying any single engine aircraft at night. I think most of my night flying single engine was on floats and skis, since then the more engines the better. Must be the Brit in me :mrgreen: To each his own.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
PT6-114A
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PT6-114A »

I remember years ago being halfway between st John’s and the Azores in a caravan in the middle of a January night and after making a HF position a guy in a 747 calling us telling we were nuts.

Return to “General Comments”