Moderna Vaccine shows 94.5% effectiveness

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Moderna Vaccine shows 94.5% effectiveness

Post by shawnthesheep »

I hope all you thinking it's gonna take 5 years for the industry to recover is having second thoughts!
https://investors.modernatx.com/news-re ... y-efficacy
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Moderna Vaccine shows 94.5% effectiveness

Post by CpnCrunch »

shawnthesheep wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:49 pm I hope all you thinking it's gonna take 5 years for the industry to recover is having second thoughts!
I noticed today that AC is now charging min $600 round trip for a 35nm / 15 min flight around here, which would cost me about $40 in my own plane, and I can carry 3 passengers. Granted they can fly in any weather...but still. I think they're still making some money.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

What makes you think a vaccine will make airlines return to normal? Did you not hear the term "new normal"? Covid has people terrified and accepting that things will just have to be different going forward. Many businesses are working from home, meeting on zoom etc. Let's assume every Canadian can access a vaccine by end of 2021, I think it will still take airlines until 2025 to return to 2019 passenger numbers.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:33 pm
shawnthesheep wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:49 pm I hope all you thinking it's gonna take 5 years for the industry to recover is having second thoughts!
I noticed today that AC is now charging min $600 round trip for a 35nm / 15 min flight around here, which would cost me about $40 in my own plane, and I can carry 3 passengers. Granted they can fly in any weather...but still. I think they're still making some money.
How much do you charge for a seat in your airplane?

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

montado wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:57 pm What makes you think a vaccine will make airlines return to normal? Did you not hear the term "new normal"? Covid has people terrified and accepting that things will just have to be different going forward. Many businesses are working from home, meeting on zoom etc. Let's assume every Canadian can access a vaccine by end of 2021, I think it will still take airlines until 2025 to return to 2019 passenger numbers.
only from propaganda masters like yourself.

Going forward will be the same as every other time in human history that we've been dealt hardships.

In 5 years, most people won't even remember 2020 nor care to revisit it.

People aren't terrified but they have accepted that a little hard work and determination will get us through and are adjusting to the current, fluid, situation.

You sullied up the Pfizer thread with a bunch of garbage, try and be positive and stick to the topics.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Ah that's right. This vaccine will just erase the memory of all the Porter pilots who were off work for an entire year (and counting) . People will also just forget how when family and friends were on their final legs they were denied entry to the hospital to have their final visits.

Sure normal will return in some normal kind of way but don't grab your headset yet. Fauci has said even after vaccine we will need to wear a mask and take the same precautions for a while yet. I think the stock market jumps are pricing in valuations expected in a couple years. No way the airlines will be back to normal end of 2021. In previous posts I said my beliefs were that after the election this would quietly go away. After seeing where we have gone this past week I have to admit I was completely wrong. The media and people are fully pumping fear. I don't know why anyone would think the gears will change so quickly for airlines. I think other aspects of normalcy will come back much quicker. My family is planning staycations not vacations. I think most others are doing the same. So 5 years is probably a stretch but I'm not counting on a quick return to normal.

People's reasoning that I should wear a mask is that it's such an easy thing to do, and it's worth it if we even stop a few cases. So with that logic no one should ever go back to normal and remove the mask. We can stop influenza and many viruses that have the potential to kill. So if it's so easy, why would we ever go back to normal? I have never advocated for mandatory masks, but by the logic of why we use them, should mandatory masks not just be a cultural norm... They aren't perfect but they stop the spread of diseases and even if its just one life we save its worth it. How will people rationalize going back to normal? Covid may never be eradicated.

Last edited by montado on Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blowin' In The Wind
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Blowin' In The Wind »

Heliian wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:54 am
montado wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:57 pm What makes you think a vaccine will make airlines return to normal? Did you not hear the term "new normal"? Covid has people terrified and accepting that things will just have to be different going forward. Many businesses are working from home, meeting on zoom etc. Let's assume every Canadian can access a vaccine by end of 2021, I think it will still take airlines until 2025 to return to 2019 passenger numbers.
only from propaganda masters like yourself.

Going forward will be the same as every other time in human history that we've been dealt hardships.

In 5 years, most people won't even remember 2020 nor care to revisit it.

People aren't terrified but they have accepted that a little hard work and determination will get us through and are adjusting to the current, fluid, situation.

You sullied up the Pfizer thread with a bunch of garbage, try and be positive and stick to the topics.
Agreed.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Serious question. Will masks just be a permanent part of the pilot uniform. In 5 years will we be able to wear a mask for protection or will they force us to remove the mask at some point? I remember a few years ago when I went into a gas station and was told I have to remove my hood or I can't come in. Obviously wearing the hood you are basically guaranteed to be trying to rob the store. Today you can't go in without a mask. So what does this look like in 5 years? How do we transition back? Can I wear my mask in public for the rest of my life or will some day I be told I'm not longer allowed to save grandma?

Whats the policy for gate agents identifying passengers? Do they remove their mask? I heard they weren't. Going forward in 10 years can I refuse to show my face and wear a mask? Do women wearing a niqab have to show their faces anymore? How do we go from you are not allowed to wear a mask in the store, to its required to wear a mask and now will we ever go back to it's required to remove your mask. How do the airlines feel about their pilots walking around the terminal in 5 years with the company issued mask? Will this be taken away? Will the people not wearing a mask in 5 years all be called grandma killers?

Last edited by montado on Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:33 pm I noticed today that AC is now charging min $600 round trip for a 35nm / 15 min flight around here, which would cost me about $40 in my own plane, and I can carry 3 passengers. Granted they can fly in any weather...but still. I think they're still making some money.
If you consider losing 7 Million a day making money, then yeah they're making it hand over fist.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

People who assume the industry will recover rapidly have forgotten a few things.

-People and businesses will not forget the money they lost, and will be as reluctant as ever to book for any trips that are not necessary.

-It’s not just this disease. It’s the next one. Any whiff of COVID-21 or anything else by the sensationalist media will cause an immediate reduction in air travel.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

iflyforpie wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:35 am People who assume the industry will recover rapidly have forgotten a few things.

-People and businesses will not forget the money they lost, and will be as reluctant as ever to book for any trips that are not necessary.

-It’s not just this disease. It’s the next one. Any whiff of COVID-21 or anything else by the sensationalist media will cause an immediate reduction in air travel.
I agree I believe businesses may cut back on travel and try to make due with conference calls, zoom, etc. but when it comes to people I respectfully disagree. People today are horrible with finances and do not fully appreciate debt. I personally believe the majority of people in todays society do not appreciate the severity of lines of credit, or credit card debt and I believe they almost treat debt like their own hard earned money. I think travel and leisure is going to come back very strong, maybe even stronger than 2019 due to pent up demand. Just my opinion though at the end of the day no one really knows, but in the meantime I have shut the tv off and try to remain positive about the future.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

telex wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:57 pm
CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:33 pm
How much do you charge for a seat in your airplane?
It would be $10-$20 in this case, which is the maximum permitted by the CARs for me.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Doug Ford said don’t panic buy in preparation for lockdown... and he had to repeat it, you know as in wink wink... now the stores are packed and physical distancing is out the window. This vaccine can’t come soon enough! Good luck to Toronto and Peel starting Monday! And apparently I’m the propaganda master... some Toronto businesses are closing down for the third lockdown this year. Three strikes might just end the game for many of them. Maybe some financial support is coming? Who knows, but no, this won’t blow over. The fear and hysteria are forever etched into society.

Edited a word.

Last edited by montado on Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

montado wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:18 pm Doug Ford said don’t panic buy in preparation for lockdown... and he had to repeat it, you know as in wink wink... now the sorted are packed and physical distancing is out the window. This vaccine can’t come soon enough! Good luck to Toronto and Peel starting Monday! And apparently I’m the propaganda master... some Toronto businesses are closing down for the third lockdown this year. Three strikes might just end the game for many of them. Maybe some financial support is coming? Who knows, but no, this won’t blow over. The fear and hysteria are forever etched into society.
Go away

northernpilot2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by northernpilot2 »

mixturerich wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:37 am Go away
montado, please stay. Your voice matters. Im with you. :)

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

montado wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:18 pm Doug Ford said don’t panic buy in preparation for lockdown... and he had to repeat it, you know as in wink wink... now the stores are packed and physical distancing is out the window. This vaccine can’t come soon enough! Good luck to Toronto and Peel starting Monday! And apparently I’m the propaganda master... some Toronto businesses are closing down for the third lockdown this year. Three strikes might just end the game for many of them. Maybe some financial support is coming? Who knows, but no, this won’t blow over. The fear and hysteria are forever etched into society.

Edited a word.
All those “Toronto people” are just driving out of town if they want to go shopping or out for dinner. This regional lockdown nonsense is laughable.

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “General Comments”