Fired?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Fired?

Post by teacher »

Social media policies are VERY clear.

One may sympathize but one CANNOT slander or denigrate ones employer on risk of termination.
---------- ADS -----------

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

ALPApolicy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:26 pm
But I'm just a pilot...
Well said.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

teacher wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:01 pm Social media policies are VERY clear.

One may sympathize but one CANNOT slander or denigrate ones employer on risk of termination.
Is swoop the employer of a westjet pilot?

Is making a joke denigrating one's employer?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:38 pm

Yes.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I guess half the westjet pilots on avcanada should be terminated as well then.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:44 pm

Yes.
Swoop is not the employer for a WestJet pilot. WestJet pilots work for WestJet an Alberta partnership LP which is a subsidiary of 2 companies that are subsidiaries of WestJet Ltd.
Swoop is its own company which is a subsidiary of WestJet Ltd, just like WestJet Encore is a subsidiary of WestJet Ltd.

Go to page 4 for the corporate structure.

https://www.westjet.com/assets/wj-web/d ... n-form.pdf

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

ALPApolicy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:14 pm you have been a member of this forum for 15 years and made almost 2500 posts. I’m going to hazard a guess that you are a pilot working in the industry (I may be wrong). If you were fooled by the photo, an uninformed member of the public might be too,
What bearing does one's avcanada membership history or current status as a pilot have on one's ability to spot photoshopped fakes?
Anyway, I'm conflicted on this. On the one hand, I don't feel like Swoop pilots have a right to complain. The wages were common knowledge from the get go. They willingly signed up to be bottom feeders. Hard to engender sympathy if you're a willing participant in your own abuse, and they get none from me. However, I don't see this as denigrating the employer. No comment or judgement is being made on whether Swoop is a good or bad company. Swoop pays their pilots peanuts. That's a fact. This is not even a statement thereof, rather it's just an implication of fact. If Swoop is embarrassed by that fact, they should look in the mirror.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

shimmydampner wrote: What bearing does one's avcanada membership history or current status as a pilot have on one's ability to spot photoshopped fakes?
Anyway, I'm conflicted on this. On the one hand, I don't feel like Swoop pilots have a right to complain. The wages were common knowledge from the get go. They willingly signed up to be bottom feeders. Hard to engender sympathy if you're a willing participant in your own abuse, and they get none from me. However, I don't see this as denigrating the employer. No comment or judgement is being made on whether Swoop is a good or bad company. Swoop pays their pilots peanuts. That's a fact. This is not even a statement thereof, rather it's just an implication of fact. If Swoop is embarrassed by that fact, they should look in the mirror.
I suppose my comment was directed at his awareness of aviation issues as an "insider". I'll concede the point.

Regarding Swoop pilots being willing participants, I suggest a reading of recent history would bring that point into contention. A review of the PTA and WJ's interpretation of recall procedures would be helpful in understanding why some pilots are working there.

As to what a corporation might determine is defamatory, that's a matter for the courts at this point. If you haven't just been terminated, you do of course have the luxury of arguing the point without any distracting factors such as a lack of income.

Last edited by ALPApolicy on Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

If you're upset at the situation you may not be fit for duty and it's you responsibility to remove yourself from flying....

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

At this point, for those pilots who are laid off from WJ, the only path back to work at their former employer, WJ, will be via a job at Swoop first. Only active pilots working at WJ or Swoop have access to any vacancies posted at WJ or Swoop via a pref bid. Most Swoop pilots will take the first opportunity to leave Swoop and go (back) to WJ. This leaves any remaining WJ jobs (unlikely) and any Swoop vacancies being offered via recall to laid off WJ pilots. This is obviously less than ideal, as pilots who have never worked at Swoop will likely have to work there for some period of time before getting back to WJ. Better than nothing...

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

ALPApolicy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:56 am
shimmydampner wrote: What bearing does one's avcanada membership history or current status as a pilot have on one's ability to spot photoshopped fakes?

I suppose my comment was directed at his awareness of aviation issues as an "insider". I'll concede the point.
I'm sorry to keep butting into this conversation, but I AM a pilot, and have been flying for a living for over 26 years and over 20,000 hours on everything from light singles to transport-category turbojets. It's just that I have never had any interest in working for "mainline" carriers and am unaware of many of the "wage-and-working-conditions" issues experienced by those guys. I vaguely understand it's been getting less lucrative and less fun over the years and that's why it angered but didn't surprise me to see that sign and ask if it was real or not. It doesn't affect me one way or another but I was outraged on your behalf.

Please carry on.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:44 pm

Yes.
Questions better answered by a lawyer than a bunch of pilots on an Internet forum.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:52 pm I guess half the westjet pilots on avcanada should be terminated as well then.
It's sure easier to shoot off one's mouth in what one writes, when being such a coward as to not use your real name.

I've learned that here, observing some of the adolescent bullying. A ton of spineless cowards.

Have something to say and believe in it?

Use your real name, accept the consequences, with pride. No whining.

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Lead the way

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

rookiepilot wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:52 pm I guess half the westjet pilots on avcanada should be terminated as well then.
It's sure easier to shoot off one's mouth in what one writes, when being such a coward as to not use your real name.

I've learned that here, observing some of the adolescent bullying. A ton of spineless cowards.

Complaining anonymously about people staying anonymous on an anonymous forum.....

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:51 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Complaining anonymously about people staying anonymous on an anonymous forum.....
Actually awhile back when discussing this issue on the "clubhouse" thread I linked my twitter feed..............

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

Ahhh yes. A private pilot business owner.

Your courage knows no bounds.

Return to “General Comments”