Can Tourism Operators Survive Another Year of Border Closure?

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Can Tourism Operators Survive Another Year of Border Closure?

Post by RippleRock »

I wanna know when Canadians are going to admit that we are FAILING badly on the vaccine rollout and ask for external help. We are 3x behind the WORST US State. Some US States are 6x higher per capita in the number of vaccines in arms.

I am tremendously embarrassed to be Canadian. We apparently have NO ability to take care of ourselves. 100% reliance on foreign vaccines and now foreign assistance needed to get them in arms = EPIC FAIL
---------- ADS -----------

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

Agreed!

For all that we like to criticize the Americans, I always had a feeling that our government would screw up this whole process royally and that the US would pull ahead of us very quickly in getting their citizens vaccinated.

This country is in deep doo-doo if we don't get our act together - and soon!

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

That's how Canada is with almost everything though. We have almost ZERO self-reliance. Whether it be these vaccines, having to go through other countries to export our energy and resources (KXL being cancelled is a perfect example) we have no reputable industry here to speak of, our schools are second class, there's just nothing we offer the world that you can't really get somewhere else. And when it comes to ensuring the safety and security of our own citizens, we fail there too. Need I even mention our lacklustre military? We are always relying on someone else to bail us out.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Gonna get a LOT worse before it gets better.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/garnea ... -1.5885770

“Foreign Affairs Minister Marc Garneau says the federal government won't rule out invoking the federal Emergencies Act to limit travel as parts of the country continue to experience high infection rates of COVID-19.”

Let’s Go Brandon
RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:46 am That's how Canada is with almost everything though. We have almost ZERO self-reliance. Whether it be these vaccines, having to go through other countries to export our energy and resources (KXL being cancelled is a perfect example) we have no reputable industry here to speak of, our schools are second class, there's just nothing we offer the world that you can't really get somewhere else. And when it comes to ensuring the safety and security of our own citizens, we fail there too. Need I even mention our lacklustre military? We are always relying on someone else to bail us out.
EXACTLY.

Canada pretends to be a first world player, but we have allowed ourselves to become a second-rate JOKE. It's hillarious to hear that Doug Ford was going to single-handedly "storm the Pfizer factory" in the States and bring back vaccines to Ontario. SORRY Doug.......American developed and produced vaccines means they are first, while we wait our turn for seconds.....if they're available at all.

Trudeau is too busy trying to find innovative ways to punish Canadians for burning fossil fuels that heat our home, fuel our transport systems and keep the economy ticking. This world has flipped up-side down, and it looks like the "woke" are happy to leave it that way.

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

The Americans, even considering that the new administration said this morning that there was "no plan" under the Trump presidency (probably true) they have still managed to vaccinate three times more people per capita than we have. Imagine if they had actually had a plan!

As of today, Canada ranks 25th among all countries in vaccinations, behind the likes of Romania and Slovenia, and WAY behind Israel, the UAE, China, India, the US, etc., etc.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

I agree.....

Trudeau junior is not even close to Trudeau senior.....who has now passed away........

At least the old guy had a sense of reality.

Beards are nice, but wtf? Pie in the sky ideas are bound to fail, it's always been like that.

I guess that practical thinking is out of fashion since that does not get votes, so the pie in the sky types rule, and we all have to suffer the consequences. They rule......

Until no one can eat anymore. Then.....things will change........

It's happening south of the border......And I am not happy about the outcome.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Looks like the movement restrictions might be about to get tighter for a bit:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/cancel-trav ... -1.1554220

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Launchpad1 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:59 pm Looks like the movement restrictions might be about to get tighter for a bit:

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/cancel-trav ... -1.1554220
"The bad choices of a few will never be allowed to put everyone else in danger," he said at a news conference outside his Rideau Cottage home in Ottawa.
See, citizens? It's YOUR fault.
Just remember that your entire life has been upended by the common cold.

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Friends of the family recently shipped their car across the border on a transport truck and flew over the border on an R44 helicopter and drove down to Florida. People always find loopholes to all these crazy rules. Not sure if that is still possible with the regime change south of the border or not. They are staying till the end of April so not sure how they will get back.

Let’s Go Brandon
PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:08 pm Friends of the family recently shipped their car across the border on a transport truck and flew over the border on an R44 helicopter and drove down to Florida. People always find loopholes to all these crazy rules. Not sure if that is still possible with the regime change south of the border or not. They are staying till the end of April so not sure how they will get back.
Ya that’s an operator out of Kitchener I think. That loophole still open?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

PitchLink wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:30 am Ya that’s an operator out of Kitchener I think. That loophole still open?
Yeah that's Great Lakes Helicopter
https://greatlakeshelicopter.ca/flights-to-the-u-s-a/

And there's other operators all over the place still doing it. There's a Navajo that does multiple daily trips back and forth from London to Detroit.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CGGBI

There was a great article in the Star about people who used the loophole to fly south and then complained they had to do the hotel quarantine when coming back to Canada. Their excuse was it was too expensive. So I guess in their minds it's not too expensive to charter a private helicopter or Navajo, pay someone to drive your car across the border and then drive down to your second home in the south, but it's far too expensive to quarantine in a hotel for 3 days when you probably shouldn't have travelled anywhere anyways. I'm not saying the hotel quarantine is a good idea, but you can't really complain when you've used loopholes to escape to the south when those of us who are being responsible suck it up and hunker down.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/202 ... -jail.html

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:06 am
PitchLink wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:30 am Ya that’s an operator out of Kitchener I think. That loophole still open?
Yeah that's Great Lakes Helicopter
https://greatlakeshelicopter.ca/flights-to-the-u-s-a/

And there's other operators all over the place still doing it. There's a Navajo that does multiple daily trips back and forth from London to Detroit.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CGGBI

There was a great article in the Star about people who used the loophole to fly south and then complained they had to do the hotel quarantine when coming back to Canada. Their excuse was it was too expensive. So I guess in their minds it's not too expensive to charter a private helicopter or Navajo, pay someone to drive your car across the border and then drive down to your second home in the south, but it's far too expensive to quarantine in a hotel for 3 days when you probably shouldn't have travelled anywhere anyways. I'm not saying the hotel quarantine is a good idea, but you can't really complain when you've used loopholes to escape to the south when those of us who are being responsible suck it up and hunker down.

I wasn’t going to name names but ya I knew it was GLH. Pretty ballsy playing that game during a global pandemic.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

Pretty funny. They are not “loopholes” they are the rules. The border is not closed to air travel nor is it to GA travel. These same people could purchase tickets on a commercial flight direct. I would say that they wanted their car while they were away and found a smart way to accomplish it. Personally I would have flew and just bought a cheap beater to leave for my next trip down. Having to “quarantine” in this hotel clusterfu’k is more virtue signalling and totally unnecessary. I guess the crowd that believe masks stops it, despite numbers of cases of community spread increasing since; believe big nanny government will save us all with platitudes and vapid “stay safe and hunker down” messages. But hey, we live in an age where the truth is mailable and feelings are considered facts so anything is possible I guess. I used to wonder how the nazi’s got people to feed humans into ovens now I know. They just asked and the sheep stepped up to do it. Just like today. And we even have those slimy travellers to hate and blame and accuse. Just like the 30’s I guess. The big lie.

The one thing I am sure of is we suck as a country and have appointed outright incompetent crooked leaders. And will again. As I said months ago we’re no better than a cold large third world country in our “virus response” the USA IS VACCINATING close to 2 million people a day. We haven’t even been able to get 2 million total. I am old so I am not worried about my future. It’s my kid
‘S that I am concerned for

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:06 am There was a great article in the Star about people who used the loophole to fly south and then complained they had to do the hotel quarantine when coming back to Canada. Their excuse was it was too expensive. So I guess in their minds it's not too expensive to charter a private helicopter or Navajo, pay someone to drive your car across the border and then drive down to your second home in the south, but it's far too expensive to quarantine in a hotel for 3 days when you probably shouldn't have travelled anywhere anyways. I'm not saying the hotel quarantine is a good idea, but you can't really complain when you've used loopholes to escape to the south when those of us who are being responsible suck it up and hunker down.

I would disagree. I don't know anyone in that position, but their beef was much more that the deal was altered after they made it. There was no requirement upon their return of a $3k quarantine when they left. I fully disagree with them leaving in the first place, I think that it's a rather reprehensible decision. But they made it after carefully evaluating the risks and costs, I would like to think.

I'm sorry but "We are altering the deal. Pray we do not alter it further." just isn't kosher.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Kejidog wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:31 pm Pretty funny. They are not “loopholes” they are the rules. The border is not closed to air travel nor is it to GA travel. These same people could purchase tickets on a commercial flight direct. I would say that they wanted their car while they were away and found a smart way to accomplish it. Personally I would have flew and just bought a cheap beater to leave for my next trip down. Having to “quarantine” in this hotel clusterfu’k is more virtue signalling and totally unnecessary. I guess the crowd that believe masks stops it, despite numbers of cases of community spread increasing since; believe big nanny government will save us all with platitudes and vapid “stay safe and hunker down” messages. But hey, we live in an age where the truth is mailable and feelings are considered facts so anything is possible I guess. I used to wonder how the nazi’s got people to feed humans into ovens now I know. They just asked and the sheep stepped up to do it. Just like today. And we even have those slimy travellers to hate and blame and accuse. Just like the 30’s I guess. The big lie.

The one thing I am sure of is we suck as a country and have appointed outright incompetent crooked leaders. And will again. As I said months ago we’re no better than a cold large third world country in our “virus response” the USA IS VACCINATING close to 2 million people a day. We haven’t even been able to get 2 million total. I am old so I am not worried about my future. It’s my kid
‘S that I am concerned for
It is the rules but an obvious loophole. It’s a joke if you ask me

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

It's looking more and more likely that "vaccination passports" will be required before indulging in air travel or crossing the border by land.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Vaccination passport to "facilitate travel", I fully support. Required, with no alternate means of compliance? IMHO, that infringes on human rights.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Lots already havent. I was right last fourth quarter and I bet we will see more go this spring-fall

Return to “Covid”