Flight school and instructor job status

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

kohdc1723
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight school and instructor job status

Post by kohdc1723 »

Hi, I'm planning to start my flight training next year to pursue my dream which is to be a professional pilot.
I saw many threads here saying the airline pilot job market is almost frozen because of COVID19. On the other hand, there are some threads saying that flight schools in Canada are relatively less influenced by this pandemic situation than airlines.

What's the status of flight instructor jobs like these days? Are they still in demand? or frozen just like that of airlines?
And what do you think the outlook of flight instructor job will be in 2-3 years?

A lot of questions, but I would appreciate if you answer. Thank you.
---------- ADS -----------

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Flight school and instructor job status

Post by Kaykay »

kohdc1723 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:09 am Hi, I'm planning to start my flight training next year to pursue my dream which is to be a professional pilot.
I saw many threads here saying the airline pilot job market is almost frozen because of COVID19. On the other hand, there are some threads saying that flight schools in Canada are relatively less influenced by this pandemic situation than airlines.

What's the status of flight instructor jobs like these days? Are they still in demand? or frozen just like that of airlines?
And what do you think the outlook of flight instructor job will be in 2-3 years?

A lot of questions, but I would appreciate if you answer. Thank you.
At least where I live, majority of schools are full and not hiring. Many experienced former instructors went back from other jobs they got laid off from to do instructing again. Add that to the tons of people trying to get their instructor rating for the first time now and the job market for instructors isn’t much better than any other part of the industry. Most hiring in the industry is driven by what the major airlines are doing so until they start hiring, it’s tough to say if the more entry level jobs will pick up.

Heavy Rayn
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Heavy Rayn »

I second what Kaykay said. The FTU I work at recently completed instructor training for multiple candidates and in a normal world these candidates would've most likely been hired by us; however we have not had the typical flow of instructors lately so we don't have any jobs for these Class 4's. I believe much of the same thing is being seen at school's across Canada.

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Nobody is hiring class IV instructors right now. Though if you're just starting your training things will probably be better by the time you finish up.

Flightgame
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Flightgame »

TurkeyFarmYQX wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:48 pm Nobody is hiring class IV instructors right now. Though if you're just starting your training things will probably be better by the time you finish up.
I agree. Flight schools have a huge backlog of international students right now. And still are running relatively unaffected. Except for the fresh class 4 candidates, everyone else is still employed. And when the border opens up, things are gonna get good

kohdc1723
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kohdc1723 »

Thank you all for your opinions!

Return to “General Comments”