More than half of world's airline pilots no longer flying - survey

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

More than half of world's airline pilots no longer flying - survey

Post by Panama Jack »

I can’t help but wonder what the Canadian numbers are.
(Reuters) - More than half of the world’s airline pilots are no longer flying for a living amid the plunge in demand during the coronavirus pandemic, according to a new survey, and those that are still flying feel less valued by their employers.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... SKBN29X2B4
---------- ADS -----------

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: More than half of world's airline pilots no longer flying - survey

Post by dhc# »

Those left, are fighting over the WAWCON scraps. Aviation as a career for many has been destroyed.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

looks like the mapleflot/aeroflot style of doing things may just come back, here in canada anyway. no one will have the money to train themselves, and on one wants the huge instability anymore.

Get yer bucks out canada, yer gonna need to train off the street people just to keep the transportation system going.......

I should have architecture, which was my other choice. yer always going to need buildings.

nice job canada.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

confusedalot wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:04 pm looks like the mapleflot/aeroflot style of doing things may just come back, here in canada anyway. no one will have the money to train themselves, and on one wants the huge instability anymore.

Get yer bucks out canada, yer gonna need to train off the street people just to keep the transportation system going.......

I should have architecture, which was my other choice. yer always going to need buildings.

nice job canada.
No, there will always be dreamers willing to pay. Plus doesn't sunwing bring in TFW's anyways?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

confusedalot wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:04 pm
Do you need architects for that? Around here everyone just seems to pick a random number between 1 and 5 to decide their building style ;-)

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

confusedalot wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:04 pm looks like the mapleflot/aeroflot style of doing things may just come back, here in canada anyway. no one will have the money to train themselves, and on one wants the huge instability anymore.

nice job canada.
Well, won't there already be a surplus of qualified pilots?

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Do you need architects for that? Around here everyone just seems to pick a random number between 1 and 5 to decide their building style ;-)
Haha true. Not sure what it's like in Belgium but at least having a choice of 5 is better than the choice of 1 in the UK :wink:

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Launchpad1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:42 pm
Haha true. Not sure what it's like in Belgium but at least having a choice of 5 is better than the choice of 1 in the UK :wink:
There is quite the variety actually. Which is surprising. The difference is that nobody gives a flying f*** about the style of the neighbouring houses. So you can have a classic spanish hacienda style building right next to a super modern construction next to 10 rowhouses that are about to collapse :rolleyes:

For example: https://www.demilked.com/more-ugly-belgian-houses/
(nr 28 is a classic example, but they are all pretty interesting!)

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

Hahaha you got to love the Angrytecture! Probably does a good job at keeping the sales people away.

In the UK we are working on creating cutting edge housing. Look at these recent examples:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=manchest ... JTz_H8OoEM

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I always regret not becoming a commercial pilot when I was younger, until covid hit.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

JasonE wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:31 am I always regret not becoming a commercial pilot when I was younger, until covid hit.
Would you believe...

Many exciting professions experience ups and downs?
Many pilots are still working right now, some doing quite well?
That if you wager nothing, you will gain nothing?

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

I'm too old now to start. I couldn't afford to work for starting wages over the next 10 years.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

He has a point.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

gtappl wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:10 pm

nice job canada.
No, there will always be dreamers willing to pay. Plus doesn't sunwing bring in TFW's anyways?
So....does that mean that there is an unlimited number of rich people who will invest in a future that they may or may not be successful at. Hey, these types buy their own airplanes, doubt very much that they would go through the trouble of putzing around with all of the inconveniences and uncertainties. And You know what, good for them.....they made it. They are not crazy enough to invest in a losing game. That is why they are rich.

Your missing the point, many will go elsewhere for a living. So there just may be a rank and file airplane driver crunch.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Launchpad1 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:44 pm Hahaha you got to love the Angrytecture! Probably does a good job at keeping the sales people away.

In the UK we are working on creating cutting edge housing. Look at these recent examples:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=manchest ... JTz_H8OoEM
You win, tents are a better option. Flying is superior.

newlygrounded
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by newlygrounded »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:02 am
JasonE wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:31 am I always regret not becoming a commercial pilot when I was younger, until covid hit.
Would you believe...

How many careers pay poverty wages for the first 6 or 7 years and have almost no long term stability?

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

newlygrounded wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 pm
Would you believe...

How many careers pay poverty wages for the first 6 or 7 years and have almost no long term stability?
If you wanted to live in Toronto at 25, yes poverty wages for 6 or 7 years. If you were willing to move around for those formative years, explore well past your bubble, your bills would be paid and then some. The very job description of being a pilot involves travel and versatility.

It’s a high risk, very sensitive industry. It certainly is not for the faint of heart. I do feel for everyone caught in one the worst years ever for aviation, but I believe in the versatility of our business. We will adapt and overcome this.

Launchpad1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Launchpad1 »

I think it depends on how you consider and compare a Pilot job. Is it a profession in comparison to a lawyer or doctor or accountant. Or is it a job in comparison to working in a department store or hotel etc.

If your choice is that you can pursue a profession then there are safer and probably more lucrative paths to take. If the profession path is one that you don't want to take then as 'a job' being a Pilot is probably a good option.

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

confusedalot wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:39 pm
gtappl wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:10 pm

nice job canada.
So....does that mean that there is an unlimited number of rich people who will invest in a future that they may or may not be successful at. Hey, these types buy their own airplanes, doubt very much that they would go through the trouble of putzing around with all of the inconveniences and uncertainties. And You know what, good for them.....they made it. They are not crazy enough to invest in a losing game. That is why they are rich.

Your missing the point, many will go elsewhere for a living. So there just may be a rank and file airplane driver crunch.
Look at acting and how many people move to LA and have their dreams crushed every year. The number may go down but it's a small country with a growing population so I think that along with the TFW program will mean we never have a real supply crunch for drivers

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:16 am
newlygrounded wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 pm

Would you believe...

If you wanted to live in Toronto at 25, yes poverty wages for 6 or 7 years. If you were willing to move around for those formative years, explore well past your bubble, your bills would be paid and then some. The very job description of being a pilot involves travel and versatility.

It’s a high risk, very sensitive industry. It certainly is not for the faint of heart. I do feel for everyone caught in one the worst years ever for aviation, but I believe in the versatility of our business. We will adapt and overcome this.
Are you familiar with the Toronto housing market? There are a lot of things you can't get in smaller cities in this country, prices have gone up over 100k IN A MONTH. So if you're somewhat established here and leave well you're likely not going to be able to afford to come back.

And maybe I'm unaware of the reality but it seems during that moving around you're trusting years of your life and a lot of other things to people know to screw over others. (Shady 703's) I think we are our own worst enemies as every day I hear a new excuse why something isn't really a problem

Return to “General Comments”