Return of the Jump seat??!!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

QKclown
Rank 0
Rank 0

Return of the Jump seat??!!

Post by QKclown »

Hey hey, am I reading this right???

Nineteen and a quarter years later, the return of the jump seat to airline staff!!! The timing couldn't be better, no one commuting to work, the planes are empty, and it is preferred by the nation that we stay in our house, but now it seems as though the J/S is back, baby!!! This is something to look forward to, when I get to go back to work.

I have copied the website if you wish to verify I understand this correctly. It could be interesting for when we pick back up.

Stay Safe everyone!!

https://lois-laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/reg ... l#s-705.01

Section 705.27 (there's a Table of to whom this is applicable but I couldn't paste it coherently on here)

Admission to Flight Deck
705.27 (1) Where a Department of Transport air carrier inspector presents an official identity card to the pilot-in-command of an aircraft, the pilot-in-command shall give the inspector free and uninterrupted access to the flight deck of the aircraft.
(2) An air operator and the pilot-in-command shall make available for the use of the air carrier inspector the observer seat most suitable to perform the inspector’s duties, as determined by the inspector.
(3) An air operator shall ensure that only the following persons are admitted to the flight deck of an aircraft:
(a) a crew member;
(b) an inspector referred to in subsection (1); and
(c) a person authorized by the air operator under subsection (4).
(4) An air operator shall not authorize a person referred to in column I of the table to this section to access the flight deck of an aircraft operating in domestic service unless the access would not have an adverse effect on aviation safety and the air operator has verified
(a) that the person is a person referred to in column I of the table and is employed by an employer referred to in column II of the table; and
(b) the identity of the person by examining the document referred to in column III of the table and one of the documents referred to in column IV of
the table.
(5) An air operator that authorizes access to the flight deck of an aircraft shall keep a record of the following information for two years after the day on which access is authorized:
(a) the name of the authorized person;
(b) the name of their employer; and
(c) the date of the flight and flight number.
(6) Before each flight, an air operator shall notify the pilot-in-command of the identity of the persons who the operator has authorized to access the flight deck of an aircraft.
(7) Before admitting a person authorized under subsection (4) to the flight deck of an aircraft, the pilot-in-command shall verify the identity of the person by means of the documents referred to in paragraph 4(b).
(8) A person authorized under subsection (4) who is admitted to the flight deck of an aircraft may only occupy an observer seat.
(9) The pilot-in-command may refuse access to the flight deck of an aircraft if they are of the opinion that there would be an adverse effect on aviation safety.
(10) The air operator shall set out, in its company operations manual, procedures respecting
(a) the granting of authorization to access the flight deck;
(b) the verification required under subsection (4); and
(c) the notice to be provided to the pilot-in-command under subsection (6).
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Return of the Jump seat??!!

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I don't understand. What's the big change here?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Those rules have been around forever as an exemption. Doesn't do any good because the airline needs to confirm current employment status and they have no way of doing that for other carriers.

In the US they quickly developed the CASS system so that everyone could still get to work. In Canada we don't care, both the airlines and the unions are too cheap to spend the 100k to make it happen.

QKclown
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by QKclown »

Ah, I see. I thought this was a freshly revised Reg.

That’s too bad it has to be so fiscally challenging. I thought It could be easy enough for a company to apply it to the COM. Skipper could have the authority to let eligible people in the flight deck. RAIC and pilot licence (or any form of approved company ID) and good to go. You know it’s an employee trying to get somewhere in the middle of the night, when they roll in wearing a scratchy long sleeve button up shirt and blue dress pants, while the other 250 pax are in PJ’s and rocking neck pillows for the red eye from Yyc to yyz. Plus the 14 stickers on the roller bag they got for free at a Boeing giveaway! Oh well, This is for employed me to worry about in the fall.

Thanks for the informative answer as to why we can’t sit in OAL jump seats.

Cheers.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

The challenge isn't financial, it's political. Canadian pilots don't care about OAL pilots so nothing gets done. Between AC, WS, TS, and SW the union does are on the order of what, $15m a year? Pretty easy to find the money if we wanted to.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

That is a change from previous policy and it does allow pilots from other airlines the opportunity to jumpseat. A valid RAIC is proof of employment.

I suspect you'll start to see policies change in teh near future to allow OAL pilots flight deck jumpseat access.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

tbaylx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:44 am That is a change from previous policy and it does allow pilots from other airlines the opportunity to jumpseat. A valid RAIC is proof of employment.

I suspect you'll start to see policies change in teh near future to allow OAL pilots flight deck jumpseat access.
However, the caveat has always been, a method to verify the RAIC is valid or more specific the person is employed by the approved employer. Just having possession of it is not proof a person was not fired 10 mins earlier.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:18 am
tbaylx wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:44 am That is a change from previous policy and it does allow pilots from other airlines the opportunity to jumpseat. A valid RAIC is proof of employment.

However, the caveat has always been, a method to verify the RAIC is valid or more specific the person is employed by the approved employer. Just having possession of it is not proof a person was not fired 10 mins earlier.
I wouldn’t be able to tell if an employee from my own airline requesting the FD J/S had just been fired 10 minutes earlier... so is allowing OAL pilots in the FD a greater risk?

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

NotDirty! wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:36 am
mbav8r wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:18 am

I wouldn’t be able to tell if an employee from my own airline requesting the FD J/S had just been fired 10 minutes earlier... so is allowing OAL pilots in the FD a greater risk?
According to T.C they are, in order to use this they wanted a real time system that is updated immediately and able to check for validity prior to boarding.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I know a little bit about this topic based on my previous experience. It was UPS that was the driver of this, and heavily supported by the pilot unions that developed the system through existing reservations systems that were at every airline gate. As always, where there is a will there’s a way. Americans have a way of making things happen.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Comments”