What are the unlucky doing?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

autocoarsen
Rank 0
Rank 0

What are the unlucky doing?

Post by autocoarsen »

-
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by autocoarsen on Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: What are the unlucky doing?

Post by flying4dollars »

Get yourself into a recession proof trade. I believe there are grants available to you to pursue this and you can always return to flying anytime after the recovery if you like.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

flying4dollars wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:36 pm Get yourself into a recession proof trade. I believe there are grants available to you to pursue this and you can always return to flying anytime after the recovery if you like.
I thought I had one of those but the trades are in the dump in a lot of provinces right now, and it could be a couple years. There isn't much in demand that I know of unless you flip burgers or drive for Uber eats unfortunately.

For OP's question, if you have recall rights then you can be reasonably confident in getting called back, but it wouldn't hurt to get a job, any job to get through this. I wouldn't go taking student loans right now myself unless there's something else you've always wanted to do in school, or a degree that you almost finished before.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

I've been doing a free online course and web development, it's interesting and maybe I'll be up to use it in the future. The job market is absolutely wrecked, I've applied to so many jobs and haven't heard a word back, I'm similar to you no real bills so I've been very fortunate but I'm sure the recalls are in 2022 so I really don't know what to do for the next year lol.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

http://avcanada.ca/forums2/viewforum.php?f=7

There are some jobs available still.

Even if you think you're not qualified or overqualified it would be good to get some experience job hunting.

LeadSled204
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by LeadSled204 »

250 hour wonder that finished my Group 1 in September who’s up to this point been struggling to find that first flying job opportunity is currently working as a rampy/box tosser at FedEx. Wage isn’t the worst and my shift is 4am-11am Monday-Friday so could be better could be worse, paid every Friday and heard the benefits are pretty good but haven’t hit my 3 month probation yet so can’t comment on that. From what I’ve seen personally from airline pilots I follow on social media and from what I’ve heard from other FedEx employees is that quite a few furloughed pilots are joining FedEx so that must say something about the company if people are going there? But I’m just hoping I strike a miracle and get a call to fly planes soon let’s just say that haha.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I am a furloughed regional captain and currently working in software sales for a tech company. Pays decent but I hate it. I got into it because I have a degree in computer engineering and a few years software development experience prior to becoming a pilot.

Ash Ketchum
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Ash Ketchum »

flying4dollars wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:36 pm Get yourself into a recession proof trade. I believe there are grants available to you to pursue this and you can always return to flying anytime after the recovery if you like.
Don't most trades take like 4-5 years of apprenticeship to get fully qualified?

Admiral Benson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Admiral Benson »

I was furloughed from a regional about 1 month before starting my first command upgrade. I am late 20’s, married, with a kid on the way. I have no other marketable skills except an arts degree which obviously didn’t help me in finding a non aviation job (big surprise)

I was lucky enough to find 2 separate part time jobs in construction doing installations and even luckier that my wife is the breadwinner of the family, even when I was flying a full Sched with a bit of overtime.

It’s very hard work for very little pay but it keeps me in a routine and helps pass the time before recall.

For most of us who haven’t yet seen the left seat of a 705 machine and have bills and responsibilities the cost of re educating for another profession is simply not an option. At least there are a number of unskilled jobs out there for people like us.

AB

gtappl
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtappl »

Be honest what percent of people do you think would be good at a trade?

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

Everyone talks about getting a trade like you can get one in a couple months. It takes years become a journeyman. As an apprentice there isn’t great money. Also, good luck getting a job if you do a trade, work as an apprentice for a little while, fly for ten years and then hope to find a good job in the trade.

Goodman5
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Goodman5 »

ant_321 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:21 pm Everyone talks about getting a trade like you can get one in a couple months. It takes years become a journeyman. As an apprentice there isn’t great money. Also, good luck getting a job if you do a trade, work as an apprentice for a little while, fly for ten years and then hope to find a good job in the trade.
^
Exactly this.

You don't just "go get a trade." This makes guys' eyes roll who work in trades just as much as when you used to fly for a smaller outfit and heard "so when will you be a commercial pilot?"

'Go get a trade' is Boomer advice so be weary. Just to get started nowadays you need to attend a 6 month college apprentice program. I have more than a handful of journeymen/contractor buddies, and they stay away from hiring guys using trades as a 'gap filler/backup'. There's enough career tradesmen out there looking for work as is.

That said.. if you can afford it, and you're realistic about job prospects as an 'in-and-out' kinda guy, then learning a new skill definitely isn't a bad thing.

Last edited by Goodman5 on Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Day Trade Crypto and Gamestop. Get rich without working.

I heard ads for Reddit and RobinHood you can learn to be a professional trader in a few days. Fascinating.

Actually please don't --- :roll:

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

gtappl wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:07 am
Be honest what percent of people do you think would be good at a trade?
How does one answer a question like this? I know quite a few pilots who have some kind of trade cert. in their back pocket :smt102

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Goodman5 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:49 pm
ant_321 wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:21 pm Everyone talks about getting a trade like you can get one in a couple months. It takes years become a journeyman. As an apprentice there isn’t great money. Also, good luck getting a job if you do a trade, work as an apprentice for a little while, fly for ten years and then hope to find a good job in the trade.
^
Exactly this.

You don't just "go get a trade." This makes guys' eyes roll who work in trades just as much as when you used to fly for a smaller outfit and heard "so when will you be a commercial pilot?"

'Go get a trade' is Boomer advice so be weary. Just to get started nowadays you need to attend a 6 month college apprentice program. I have more than a handful of journeymen/contractor buddies, and they stay away from hiring guys using trades as a 'gap filler/backup'. There's enough career tradesmen out there looking for work as is.

That said.. if you can afford it, and you're realistic about job prospects as an 'in-and-out' kinda guy, then learning a new skill definitely isn't a bad thing.

I totally get that. Honestly I don't know how long it takes to finish a trade and I know the time frame depends on what it is, but look at it this way. There are many pilots who many not get their seat back, or another in the city they would need to be in to work for their home lives. So why not go after a trade. Even if it takes 4 yeas (some pilots may take that long to get their phone calls), at least if another recession were to hit, you now have a relatively dependable fall-back. I mean, sure you can get a diploma or degree in something and change careers that way instead. I was spit balling. Whatever ideas anyone here comes up with only contributes to the OP's query, regardless of how easy or hard it may be. Food for though as well.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:44 am Don't most trades take like 4-5 years of apprenticeship to get fully qualified?
Son is a 3rd year plumbing apprentice. 6 weeks full time school each year, on the job the rest of the time. due to the school schedule, he will have been working on the job for 5 years by the time he's got journeyman papers. He recently finished the 2nd year school portion, has enough hours in for 3rd year, but it'll be October before he can get in for that part of the school session.

The process to 'get a trade'. Start off as a first year apprentice making about the same as a rampie. After a year at that rate, then a 6 week jaunt thru school, back to work with a 2 dollar an hour raise. Another year on the job, another 6 weeks in school, another 2 dollar raise. After the 4th round of all that, write a bunch of exams, and finally reach the end of the road, journeyman papers. Sound familiar ?? 4 year program, but due to schedules at the schools, not uncommon for folks to take 5 years between getting the apprentice number and getting the journeyman papers.

Some places will require you have the 'foundations' courses before they take one on as an apprentice. Son was signed up for that, but then found a job with an outfit that didn't require it. They signed him on with a 3 month probation on the understanding that if he passed the probation period they would sign him up to the provincial apprentice program. After 3 months on the job he was called into the owners office on a Monday morning, had the equivalent of a performance review, and at the end they stuck papers in front of him to sign which gave him the apprentice number, completely bypassing the 4 or 6 month foundations courses.

I chuckle a bit when folks here toss around 'go get a trade' like it's something you pull out of a cracker jacks box. Reality is, it is WAY easier, and way quicker to get a CPL than it is to get into a trade. Getting tradesman papers is going to take a minimum of 4 years, most of which is 'get your hands dirty' kind of hard work.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:07 pm Day Trade Crypto and Gamestop. Get rich without working.

I heard ads for Reddit and RobinHood you can learn to be a professional trader in a few days. Fascinating.

HOLD HOLD

GAMESTONK!

HOLD

TO THE MOON!!!

Although I was impressed by how they managed to inflate the stock though. If it is actually true they screwed over major Wall street hedge funds, then it is kind of a cool story.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

digits_ wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:04 pm Although I was impressed by how they managed to inflate the stock though. If it is actually true they screwed over major Wall street hedge funds, then it is kind of a cool story.
Sure, apart from those funds that waited until the Robinhood types ran the price all the way up to $347 and then piled in with new shorts. GME closed at $60 today, down from $325 on January 29th. I'm guessing a bunch of hedge fund owners are laughing all the way to the bank...

RedBaron10
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RedBaron10 »

I managed to start my trucking business a few months into the pandemic. Business was painfully slow at the beginning, but has picked up quite a bit recently. Hoping to expand soon, as I'm not expecting a callback for quite a while.
I also run a photography page, but it is unsurprisingly hard to break into. It has paid (literal :lol:) pennies, but I still enjoy it so some money made is better than no money made.

I hope everybody is doing well under circumstances.

RB10

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:04 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:07 pm Day Trade Crypto and Gamestop. Get rich without working.

HOLD HOLD

GAMESTONK!

HOLD

TO THE MOON!!!

Although I was impressed by how they managed to inflate the stock though. If it is actually true they screwed over major Wall street hedge funds, then it is kind of a cool story.
No, most lost their shirts, unless they were in at the beginning.
It's just history repeating all over again.

Return to “General Comments”