What are the unlucky doing?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: What are the unlucky doing?

Post by rookiepilot »

I have a brother and also a close friend in long haul. From what I hear from them, try to find an employer who takes care of their equipment, some do not and drivers get stuck far from home. Fair dispatching is important too
---------- ADS -----------

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

autocoarsen wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:50 pm Many, many of us are no longer flying due to the pandemic. What options have people exercised in the mean time? I feel directionless at the moment.

Laid off from my smaller airline in March, permanently laid off in September. I'm 26, with really no bills to pay and no real "adult" responsibilities, so in that regard this black swan happened in a stage of my life with quite some flexibility. I don't know what to do continuing forward. Go back to school? Find a new line of work? Or sit and wait for this "beginning of the end" to come to fruition. Flying is my passion and my life long dream. Curious what others in this situation have done.
Get out while the gettin’s good. This pandemic isn’t going to be over in 6 months 12 months 18 months even 24 months the way things are shaking down. Many of us are on the way out and it’s a real eye opened to most when they re-educate and land that first job that pays well a reliable schedule and where you’re appreciated and not browbeaten into the old “you should be thankful to have a job!” Mentality. I for one hope this culls the industry so when it does come back in a few years it can start with a wiped board and maybe a better attitude towards its employees. That’s my 2 cents, I think it’s worth that anyways. Best of luck mate!

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

gtappl wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:07 am
flying4dollars wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:36 pm Get yourself into a recession proof trade. I believe there are grants available to you to pursue this and you can always return to flying anytime after the recovery if you like.
Be honest what percent of people do you think would be good at a trade?
A
Well maybe not pilots but AME’s would be

Gowyn
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gowyn »

Back in 1990 when I got out of the military I was trying to decide about getting back into flying or something else.

This industry has always been tough. Way less glamorous now than even back then.

Anyway, I decided to go back to school and ended up with the fire department (unrelated to school.). Now thirty odd years later I can look back and see both paths, no regrets. Actually about fifteen years ago I was tempted to leave the fire department and once again pursue aviation, glad I didn't.

So end of the day I'm looking at retirement next year and have finally decided to get back in. finishing off my CPL and INRAT next, just gonna teach for the love of it.

My advice is if you love flying then make it work, hang in there but be prepared for more of this. If it's just a job then move on, like me you can always come back to it. For me after four years at sea and never being home I wanted some stability.

As for the trucking industry, well I did drive long haul part time on my days off, I liked it. Does pay well but does come with it's own challenges. Perhaps two or three of you could band together and start your own company. Lease a truck and have three of you drive it, might even work out as a part time gig when you get back to flying.

Return to “General Comments”