Bucket list

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Bucket list

Post by Ozz »

Greetings everyone, I've been adding some flying items to my bucket list and wanted to hear about any items that you have on yours (completed or still pending). To start, a few of mine include: a flying safari in Africa, island hopping in the Bahamas, flying float plains in Alaska, and flying around the world. Really looking forward to hearing about yours. Cheers, Oz
---------- ADS -----------

beaverpuq
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Bucket list

Post by beaverpuq »

The mountains in Yukon and NWT are hard to beat. I’ve worked up there. Also Northern Quebec/Labrador and Torngat mountains are beautiful. Lots of water to explore and fish all the way up there. Rapid Lake Lodge highly recommended. I always wanted to try some of the islands in Lake Superior.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Back in the early 90's I made a bunch of tax free income flying in a tropical paradise. Came back and got a Multi-Engine Sea rating added to my FAA license in a Goose in Seattle (Jim Chrysler was operating one out of Lake Union at the time). It was fabulous.

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

There's something about the Kivalliq (Keewatin) region and northern Manitoba keeps me wanting more. Flying low level in the fall as the ground lights up in its colours around crystal clear lakes, musk ox, caribou herds, and eskers that has been my favourite topography to traverse. Absolute freedom. The Yukon and Nahanni region would be next on my bucket list!

Ozz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Ozz »

Those all sound fantastic! Any specific recommendations for some tropical destinations to fly into?

Realized I didn't have anything on my list from Canada. Few that I an thinking about are:
-Orbiting around Niagara Falls;
-Flying up the St. Lawrence from Toronto to Quebec City, maybe further; and
-Flying around the Salish sea between Victoria, Vancouver and further north.

Keep the ideas coming!

CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

I'd love to fly my PA-12 to the north pole. Logistically and financially it probably won't happen.

If you're a Canadian there's plenty to see right here. The north is magical, at least in the summertime.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

CruiserNU wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:27 am I'd love to fly my PA-12 to the north pole. Logistically and financially it probably won't happen.

If you're a Canadian there's plenty to see right here. The north is magical, at least in the summertime.
Do you want to fly over it, or land on it?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CruiserNU
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CruiserNU »

Oh, ideally land on it, or at least as close as possible to it. I'd equip the PA-12 with bush wheels. I have almost 800 miles range with the four tanks but that still wouldn't be enough. Fuel caches would be necessary - big bucks!

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

I've run the numbers and could fly trans-Atlantic with a modest ferry tank. I could also fly trans-Pacific (PAOM-UHMD), but it's a long way to Nome, and an even longer way from Provideniya to anywhere more interesting (e.g. Vladivostok, Sapporo). And other issues, of course. 100LL? What's Russian for LOL?

One of my bucket list items is to fly to an airport with an ICAO code that starts with other than C or K. The nearest candidates are PAKT and MMTJ.

...laura

Last edited by lhalliday on Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

One day...

Attachments
kat.png
kat.png (503.14 KiB) Viewed 728 times
Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

lhalliday wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:33 pm I've run the numbers and could fly trans-Atlantic with a modest ferry tank. I could also fly trans-Pacific (PAOM-UHMD), but it's a long way to Nome, and an even longer way from Provideniya to anywhere more interesting (e.g. Vladivostok, Sapporo). And other issues, of course. 100LL? What's Russian for LOL?

One of my bucket list items is to fly to an airport with an ICAO code that starts with other than C or K. The nearest candidates are PAKT and MMTJ.

...laura
I was so pumped when I got my first non-C airport in my logbook. It was an hour away in LFVP.

And for the OP. I’ve flown a lot of cool places but my favourite flight to date was an iceberg tour out around CDY3. It’s pretty amazing flying low level looking up at 100’+ tall chunks of ice. 10/10 recommend for a bucket list.

Return to “General Comments”