COVID has exposed flaws in industry- the pandemic is not the cause of the flaws. - Prof. Moshe Lander

Covid related topics that are connected to travel or the aviation industry.
McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

COVID has exposed flaws in industry- the pandemic is not the cause of the flaws. - Prof. Moshe Lander

Post by McKinley »

I came across this video.

https://www.citynews1130.com/video/2021 ... d-flights/

The professor’s take is Canada’s airlines are operating an unsustainable business that only profits on certain international routes. The Prof’s antidote to this is, is opening the skies to foreign competition. Is there any rationale to this? He’s an economics professor so I’d imagine he’s smarter that I am.

For me, I disagree with this man. Take Air Canada for example, they went into the pandemic with one of the strongest balance sheets in the G7. Now, of course, they’re having to compete against foreign carriers and who knows how things will pan out for Canadian Air Carriers. I’m not sure about Westjet..How will an already tight market becoming more diluted help with this? Do US carriers or any other foreign markets allow open skies? Not to mention the seemingly nonsensical rules.. Canada’s airlines aren’t serving sun destinations while I can book on foreign carriers. ( WTF)

Me personally, I’d love my job back... day by day.. it seems further away.

Nonetheless, it’s an interesting opinion.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by McKinley on Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Canada should opPandemic has exposed flaws in industry- the pandemic is not the cause of the flaws. - Prof. Moshe La

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

What video?

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: COVID has exposed flaws in industry- the pandemic is not the cause of the flaws. - Prof. Moshe Lander

Post by McKinley »

See above ...

The gentleman’s spiel starts around 1.36

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: COVID has exposed flaws in industry- the pandemic is not the cause of the flaws. - Prof. Moshe Lander

Post by montado »

We have to open up our country to foreign airlines who have been receiving government support through the pandemic... this way they can compete with Canadian airlines who received zero support.

This is ridiculous no? Airlines get interesting because it’s a wish wash of state owned and private businesses. If everyone is playing by different set of rules, and have different costs with those set of rules, how can opening the doors to competition be a good idea?

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

montado wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:33 am We have to open up our country to foreign airlines who have been receiving government support through the pandemic... this way they can compete with Canadian airlines who received zero support.

This is ridiculous no? Airlines get interesting because it’s a wish wash of state owned and private businesses. If everyone is playing by different set of rules, and have different costs with those set of rules, how can opening the doors to competition be a good idea?
I can’t really understand his argument either. Throughout this whole process, I’m trying to make sense of this whole COVID/loss of aviation career experience. Part of that, is trying to hold / be open to different perspectives on our industry and why/ how things have gone down the way they have in Canada. I posted this as an alternative viewpoint to debate.. he’s opinion is “ interesting” indeed.

Like I said, he’s an economics prof ..I figure he must know something I don’t....

Blueshift
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blueshift »

I'm not sure what Mr. Lander's argument is here. What company would not struggle when government-imposed restrictions have led to a 90% drop in revenue?

The idea that increased competition would lead to a more healthy market isn't supported by what's occurring globally. All airlines have been affected by government restrictions, directly proportional to their stringency, save for any government support. The degree of of competition is not the deciding factor in their performance.

A quick search shows that he's not an industry expert, but rather studies many fields. I think you'd find most business experts in this field would disagree with his opinion on this matter.

McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by McKinley »

Blueshift wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:05 pm I'm not sure what Mr. Lander's argument is here. What company would not struggle when government-imposed restrictions have led to a 90% drop in revenue?

The idea that increased competition would lead to a more healthy market isn't supported by what's occurring globally. All airlines have been affected by government restrictions, directly proportional to their stringency, save for any government support. The degree of of competition is not the deciding factor in their performance.

A quick search shows that he's not an industry expert, but rather studies many fields. I think you'd find most business experts in this field would disagree with his opinion on this matter.
Professor Lander’s argument seems to be that without certain international routes Canadian airlines don’t have a sustainable business model. His argument is that Canada will be better served by opening up to “ any foreign carrier.” The professor believes that COVID did not cause the present problems in the industry.. the industry was fundamentally flawed prior to COVID.

I’ve only flown domestically... but I can’t think of any county offhand that had foreign carriers operate domestically. ( feel free to prove me wrong) I don’t get the hard on for open skies in this country ...

With that being said, where does the media find these people.. I looked him up too.. “ sports economist” .. maybe be doesn’t know thing I don’t. :p Why does the media present these people as Subject matter experts?

“Bob”
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by “Bob” »

montado wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:33 am We have to open up our country to foreign airlines who have been receiving government support through the pandemic... this way they can compete with Canadian airlines who received zero support.
Yes.....

because.......

EKONOMIKS!!!! 🗿

Attachments
557FFF90-C664-4CCC-9677-E922D39447B9.jpeg
557FFF90-C664-4CCC-9677-E922D39447B9.jpeg (37.33 KiB) Viewed 1120 times
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Of course it’s unsustainable to have a fleet of wide body airplanes and only do domestic flying with a small portion of them... he should try get a refund for needing an economics degree for that conclusion.

Return to “Covid”