Charge for processing of medical certificate

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mr. Lutsch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Charge for processing of medical certificate

Post by Mr. Lutsch »

Hello all,

I recently got a $57.33 invoice from TC dated 30-03-2021 for processing my medical certificate (dated 16-07-2020).

I have an ADB full of stamps and have never ever been invoiced for this before.

Does anyone know, is this:

a) a new (and apparently retroactive) fee,
b) because I've unknowingly escaped the system for years? or;
c) because my medical examiner has historically been paying this fee on my behalf and forgot (or stopped) this time around?

The timing seems to correspond nicely with Air Canada's bail-out package. All aboard the conspiracy train!

For real though, has anyone else received one of these?

Many thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Charge for processing of medical certificate

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Yep, I've been getting this charge for years. Our company pays for our medicals though and I believe once per year we get a $55.00 "bonus payment" on one paycheque to offset the cost of the medical processing fee.

Mr. Lutsch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mr. Lutsch »

One vote for option "B" then. Very interesting, Thank You Chip Jock!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

This medical processing fee has been going on a long time. Don’t complain too loud or risk getting sent the Bill for your last ten!

Mr. Lutsch
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mr. Lutsch »

Well! I guess we can put this one to bed. Thank you all. Mum's the word!

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

lownslow wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:22 pm This medical processing fee has been going on a long time. Don’t complain too loud or risk getting sent the Bill for your last ten!
I've heard of a couple of guys who didn't pay theirs for a while and eventually got a copy of a request from TC to the CRA (I think) to take the balance out of their tax return. Had no idea they could do that but I guess you learn something new everyday!

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

For a decade i never paid and they would send it off to CRA to collect. Then they started sending it to collection. Apparently CRA isn't a good enough collection agency.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

The Mole wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:22 pm For a decade i never paid and they would send it off to CRA to collect. Then they started sending it to collection. Apparently CRA isn't a good enough collection agency.
Wow. They always just dock my taxes. They get their money but its my little form of protest that I don’t pay. Havent been sent to collections yet though. Wonder if the CRA stopped playing ball

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Its a fee that stems from the pre-computer days when they actually had to do something.
I never pay it. Sometimes it goes to collections, and dies there as they have no further followup. It has no bearing on my credit rating. . Sometimes they steal it from my tax return. I'm not going out of my way to pay it.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

If your company reimburses you for it, then I don't see why you WOULDN'T pay it. Otherwise I'd do what most of you said and just ignore it lol

scdriver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by scdriver »

I ignored my last one but I needed TC to sign off a new rating and they wouldn’t do it till I paid. But I’d certainly say ignore and deal with that if you need to

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

This is the catch right here. Until it is paid, TC will not issue anything new to you.
scdriver wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 pm I ignored my last one but I needed TC to sign off a new rating and they wouldn’t do it till I paid.
I was doing my taxes couple years back and found that while TC never sent me any notices, they did just this. Took it off my refund.
lownslow wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:22 pm I've heard of a couple of guys who didn't pay theirs for a while and eventually got a copy of a request from TC to the CRA (I think) to take the balance out of their tax return. Had no idea they could do that but I guess you learn something new everyday!

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

They charged me $630.00 in back fees before they would issue me a new passport pilot booklet, When David Collinette became Transport minister under the Liberal government all fees went up, 55$ for a medical, 100$ for a written, and on and on, then they gave Nav Canada the right to charge aircraft owners $80.00 a year even if you never talked to an aircraft control tower. Prior to that the fee was $ 15 for your aircraft radio transmitter, if you had one.

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D

Return to “General Comments”