Investing

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

20DMEYYZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

dividends

Post by 20DMEYYZ »

go with stocks that " pay " you for your investment !

right now the market has gained alot and it's getting toppy , make sure you invest in PROFITABLE companies as many do not even earn a penny yet !

you may also be priced out of these OIL stocks as you typically have to buy 100 shares minimum ; or else pay a small surcharge for lesser amounts .

maybe a CERTAIN F/O for westjet who was dorky about his mileage when he flew MU-2's will add more advice as he was really into this stuff and i'm sure he has made more than his salary flying lately !

btw , WJ is not a BUY until it's lower than $10 !
---------- ADS -----------

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

C-150 Pilot, congratulations on entering the exciting world of personal investing. You can have a lot of fun at it and like what has already been mentioned, make and lose a lot of money.

For a beginner, don't go jumping into penny stocks right away. But read and listen to what other have, then follow them. Another good piece of advice is to take stock tips with a grain of salt. A tip though is a good place to start doing some due diligence. You will find a lot of stocks develop a trend or trading pattern. Of course that can certainly change at the blink of an eye depending on news. Remember never ever fall in love with a stock. It is only a piece of paper so don't feel bad about selling to cut your losses or to take some profit. Pay attention to what the sectors are doing. You can have a great stock with great potential but because the sector it is in happens to be out of flavour, the stock price will get dragged down.

I would suggest you start with a few solid stocks. No doubt gold and oil are the hot sectos right now. Goldcorp is a solid one that pays a monthly dividend. Lots of upside with them yet. Diversification has been mentioned which is good but be careful you don't end up like a lot of mutual funds. They are so diversified that they never gain anything because as one sector is up the others are down. As a private investor you should never hold stock in more than a few companies. You will quickly realize that having a few shares in many companies will get you nowhere. You are better off to hold lots of shares in a few solid companies.

Well got to run and unload some Tahera as it is up to .70 cents again.

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
C-150Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-150Pilot »

Well thats sucks!!

RBC just called to say they cancelled my Action Direct investement account. Those damn 18 year old restrictions.......! :evil:
Pretty sad to know a 16 year old can be a pilot but can't invest. :lol:

Fly it until the last piece stops moving
"I give your landing a 9...on the Richter scale."
CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

Unfortunately you will find that with any of the brokerage firms. Maybe you can convince one of your parents to put the account in their name and give you access to it. If they agree to it make sure you keep a good paper trail, ie transfers from your account to Action Direct, stock trades etc. otherwise the taxman could come after your parent for the taxes owing on any capitol gains that you generate . My son and I have been doing this for a few years. We just print copies of any bank transactions and keep notes on what stocks are his etc. So far no problems!

You Can Love An Airplane All You Want, But Remember, It Will Never Love You Back!
Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Walker »

C-150
I THINK this is legal with the securities and exchange commission (Dep of finance??)…
Either incorporate or set up a trust, just something simple wont be more than a few hundred at a reasonable layer…
Then open the RBC account under that entity….. another advantage is to have your assets under the trust, then god forbid you ever get sued, Or married/divorced your TRUST gets to keep everything… No sorry hunnybunny, Really I DON’T own the house, I have $45 to my name, really honest this piece of paper says so……

Plus (granted being a pilot this isn’t THAT important to us,) but trusts are VERY nice way of getting around the tax man… and if your young now is the time to have this stuff up and running before you end up with any liability…

Playing penny stocks is just like Vegas, except you don’t get free drinks….

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

I recommend investing in beer, pizza, hookers, and fast cars.

Not stocks. Just buy those things.

I mean, what sounds better?

1. My portfolio has returned quite well over the last 3 quarters.

or

2. Man, this broad was rubbing my leg as I was getting up to 225 clicks on the Don, then we hit the exit, and went to this shitty bar. It was wet T-shirt night, and the guys started smearing the winner's chest with pepperoni. After that me and Rohanna hit a kegger till 6 where there was a guy with a pet snake called Fluffy! Cost me a shit-load, but I got some, and I think I might do it next weekend!

-istp :lol:

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

KAG, what do you think is happening these days with PUG? The stock is trading but no movement up or down. Do you think it is just building a base a this level for the next move up or what? Would appreciate your thought on it!

CLguy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CLguy »

For those who are interested, Tahera Resouces announced some good news yesterday. They are now producing diamonds in Nunavut.

You can read the press release at:

http://www.globeinvestor.com/servlet/Wi ... slug=C2333

Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Edo »

C-150Pilot wrote:Well thats sucks!!

RBC just called to say they cancelled my Action Direct investement account. Those damn 18 year old restrictions.......! :evil:
Pretty sad to know a 16 year old can be a pilot but can't invest. :lol:

Man I wish I had your problems. :D I have been working in theis industry for 8 years, just finished paying off my training loans.

Good on ya for investing, thought.

Return to “General Comments”