Red Bull Pilot Flying Through 2 Tunnels

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Red Bull Pilot Flying Through 2 Tunnels

Post by dhc# »

---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Red Bull Pilot Flying Through 2 Tunnels

Post by PilotDAR »

I don't see the need which is fulfilled by flying a plane through a tunnel. I do see risk.

I recall reading somewhere: "Always fly in the middle of the sky, it's much safer than at the edges."

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

Ppsshhhhh, he had a painted line to follow!

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:03 am I don't see the need which is fulfilled by flying a plane through a tunnel. I do see risk.

I recall reading somewhere: "Always fly in the middle of the sky, it's much safer than at the edges."
By the same time why do we do aerobatics

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Speaking for myself, I do aerobatics to maintain skill and proficiency, particularly for unusual attitude recovery. I prefer to do aerobatics near "the middle of the sky" for safety, and in case my aerobatics lack precision. For the occasions I would like to practice following a line, and precisely maintaining both lateral position, and altitude, I'll take off and land.

330heavy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 330heavy »

Technically, he flew through 1 tunnel. The first one he took off in, thus wasn't fully airborne to be regarded as flight/flying. :mrgreen:

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:43 pm
Speaking for myself, I do aerobatics to maintain skill and proficiency, particularly for unusual attitude recovery. I prefer to do aerobatics near "the middle of the sky" for safety, and in case my aerobatics lack precision. For the occasions I would like to practice following a line, and precisely maintaining both lateral position, and altitude, I'll take off and land.
Ok fair enough, but regarding low level air show aerobatics or even air racing the margins of error are extremely low and I doubt a well thought out tunnel flight changes the risk profile compared to what else they do. I know you asked why and the answer is simple it’s good marketing exposure for relatively cheap ( much cheaper to get exposure through a video going viral than paying for commercials )

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It can be risky too. Viral video of a Red Bull branded aircraft crashing into an explosive fireball killing the pilot and closing a road tunnel is very bad exposure. No doubt they had a lot of paperwork in place in advance to ensure they had first and last dibs on all footage and imagery created in the stunt.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

The view from the tail mounted camera shows how the airplane is rigged to fly straight with a little left yaw and bank. Unique perspective and interesting to see.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

In sure they sorted out all the "paperwork" with the powers that be and then some.

Very cool stunt! The conditions would have to be near perfect or a fart could throw you into the wall. That's just about the riskiest piece of flying I've ever seen, excellent piloting.

Completely unnecessary and not worth it. I'm still not buying red bull.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Heliian wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 3:29 pm The conditions would have to be near perfect or a fart could throw you into the wall.
Would it?

Wouldn't you have a ground effect all around the airplane due to the enclosure? There's also no cross wind component, even if there would be wind outside.

You made me curious about the aerodynamics now!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Skill is skill and no amount of finger-wagging can alter that. The only one who really earns the full right to question "is it worth it?" is the one person who bears the fullest consequences of an unsuccessful outcome - the pilot.

And no, you wouldn't find me doing that. Easier ways to get thrills. :mrgreen:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.

Return to “General Comments”