Adding a Type Rating from a foreign Licence to a TC ATPL

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Skydweller777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Adding a Type Rating from a foreign Licence to a TC ATPL

Post by Skydweller777 »

Hello All,

I was wondering if someone has any experience adding their foreign type ratings on a Canadian TC ATPL. What’s the process? What if you haven’t flown on type for more than 12 months? Etc

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Don Cherry
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Adding a Type Rating from a foreign Licence to a TC ATPL

Post by Don Cherry »

Skydweller777 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:48 pm Hello All,

I was wondering if someone has any experience adding their foreign type ratings on a Canadian TC ATPL. What’s the process? What if you haven’t flown on type for more than 12 months? Etc

Thanks
I was told that only FAA type ratings can be converted in Canada.

Last edited by Don Cherry on Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Don Cherry wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 pm

Thanks
When I converted my license in 2019, TC didn’t convert my type ratings and I was told that only FAA type ratings can be converted in Canada.
I don't know about adding one if you didn't fly the last 12 months.
But this "Only FAA type rating can be converted in Canada" looks like total bullshit! I have seen first hand people working at TC with their own interpretation of the rules pending on their "work load" (Transports Canada in Montreal comes to mind)

The biggest advice I would give if you are not happy with their answer, is to try with another (more friendly) Office.

homesick
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by homesick »

I've done it.
Take your logbook and your last recurrent from your former airline/CAA into any office and they will transfer the TR onto your TC ATPL.
I did my paperwork at the Vancouver office.
Albeit, I did it at a time when the world was a bit more normal than it is right now.
Check with the office of your choice. They might be able to do it based on a non expired recurrent irrespective of your flying in the previous 12 months. If that's the case, then I'd suggest getting in touch with your former airline and schedule a session and get that proficiency check.
Good luck.

Screw you hippies!!!!
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

I've added foreign non-FAA type ratings to my TC license. But I was actively flying at the time. Presented foreign license with said type rating, record of latest check (what they call PPC in Canada but not anywhere else) and logbook evidence of time on type. $30 later and the rating was on my Canadian licence.

So no, it is not correct that only FAA ratings can be added. One of mine was from the Middle East, another from Europe. (I kinda collect ratings like hockey cards. "Got it, got it, need it need it".)

On the other hand, as others have stated, all normal rules are out the window now and good luck getting anyone at Transport to acknowledge any communication whatsoever. I believe there is only one person working there now and she's only available between 2-4pm on the third Thursday in February each year.

No seriously, I'm still waiting for my medicals from both this year and last to be processed. 16 months and counting. Your government at work, comrades.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
aliou85
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aliou85 »

Whatever you do avoid Dorval office. Had a pretty bad experience lately getting my ATPL signed off (just because the licensing officer had a different interpretation of XC times) with almost 2000 all international multi times.

Oh as well they wanted to see my 2020 medical which was sent back in June last year but I guess they never received it or lost it somewhere.
Finally took me almost two months, dozen of phone calls (hit and miss), emails to finally get my aa's processed.

A good friend of mine recently tried adding an ATR TR ( from Toulouse) to his canadian licence but got his application put on hold because the officer needed proof of 50hrs on type in the last 12 months. The following day he called a different region and got his application processed.

My advice is to keep on calling and emailing til you get what you want and stay far away from Dorval office.

Good luck mate!

Skydweller777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Skydweller777 »

aliou85 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:21 pm Whatever you do avoid Dorval office. Had a pretty bad experience lately getting my ATPL signed off (just because the licensing officer had a different interpretation of XC times) with almost 2000 all international multi times.

Oh as well they wanted to see my 2020 medical which was sent back in June last year but I guess they never received it or lost it somewhere.
Finally took me almost two months, dozen of phone calls (hit and miss), emails to finally get my aa's processed.

A good friend of mine recently tried adding an ATR TR ( from Toulouse) to his canadian licence but got his application put on hold because the officer needed proof of 50hrs on type in the last 12 months. The following day he called a different region and got his application processed.

My advice is to keep on calling and emailing til you get what you want and stay far away from Dorval office.

Good luck mate!

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

My type is from an ICAO member state but done in an EASA approved training school. Last date on type was March of 2020. So that’s what I was wondering if it’s been more than 12 months what was the procedure.

Do you know which office your friend was in contact with?

Skydweller777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Skydweller777 »

complexintentions wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:26 pm I've added foreign non-FAA type ratings to my TC license. But I was actively flying at the time. Presented foreign license with said type rating, record of latest check (what they call PPC in Canada but not anywhere else) and logbook evidence of time on type. $30 later and the rating was on my Canadian licence.

So no, it is not correct that only FAA ratings can be added. One of mine was from the Middle East, another from Europe. (I kinda collect ratings like hockey cards. "Got it, got it, need it need it".)

On the other hand, as others have stated, all normal rules are out the window now and good luck getting anyone at Transport to acknowledge any communication whatsoever. I believe there is only one person working there now and she's only available between 2-4pm on the third Thursday in February each year.

No seriously, I'm still waiting for my medicals from both this year and last to be processed. 16 months and counting. Your government at work, comrades.
Appreciate the feedback! Are they taking walk ins currently? I did my ATPL in January but had to go to the Vancouver office to do the exams, all the eastern offices didn’t have dates until March/April.

aliou85
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aliou85 »

Skydweller777 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:07 am
aliou85 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:21 pm Whatever you do avoid Dorval office. Had a pretty bad experience lately getting my ATPL signed off (just because the licensing officer had a different interpretation of XC times) with almost 2000 all international multi times.

Good luck mate!

My type is from an ICAO member state but done in an EASA approved training school. Last date on type was March of 2020. So that’s what I was wondering if it’s been more than 12 months what was the procedure.

Surrey office processed his application.

Skydweller777
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Skydweller777 »

aliou85 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:57 am

Good luck mate!

Thanks. Could you ask him how he got around the 50 Hr rule. I’m sure they’d understand due to covid. But who knows.

Best Regards,

Ilyas

aliou85
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aliou85 »

Skydweller777 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:17 am
aliou85 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:57 am

Thanks. Could you ask him how he got around the 50 Hr rule. I’m sure they’d understand due to covid. But who knows.

Best Regards,

Ilyas
That was his first initial TR.

Check your pm for all the docs he provided.

Cheers!

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

As many said above, non FAA type ratings can be added to your Canadian ATPL. I’ve done it, TC requires some proof and forms to be filled out, $30, and it’ll be printed on your ATPL.

Not being current for 12 months, sorry but can’t answer that one.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
RonMexico
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RonMexico »

Hi everyone
I'm in this situation right now
i'm supposed to do a type rating in france
i have a canadian cpl me ir with a recent iatra and i want to know what's the requirement to add this type rating on my licenses
what's the process and do i need to have 50 hours on type as a read in this conversation 'cause it will be my first type rating and obviously i don't have these hours.
Thanks for your help i'm a little bit lost with that .

Needswork2020
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Needswork2020 »

Don Cherry wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:21 pm

Thanks
I was told that only FAA type ratings can be converted in Canada.

FALSE. I have entered type from other countries.

Return to “General Comments”