FAA 1st Class Medical

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

bdriver90
Rank 0
Rank 0

FAA 1st Class Medical

Post by bdriver90 »

Hi All,

I remember a while back Transport Canada would accept FAA medicals and you could send it in for authentication for the issue of the Canadian equivalent, is that still the case? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
---------- ADS -----------

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: FAA 1st Class Medical

Post by mmm..bacon »

By the time TC gets around to reviewing paperwork these days, it'd be way less stress to just go and find a Canadian CAME...

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

What bacon said,

By the time paperwork is sent back and forth from the FAA to TC, and TC reviews it, just pay for both medicals.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

There are a few CDN based CAME that have FAA authority. You can do both medicals at same time. Obviously, there is an extra fee.

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

bdriver90 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:38 pm Hi All,

I remember a while back Transport Canada would accept FAA medicals and you could send it in for authentication for the issue of the Canadian equivalent, is that still the case? Can't seem to find it anywhere.
In my experience, the turnaround time on the medical conversion is around 60 days. They like to have a copy of the 8500 signed by the examiner. Any copies of ECGs, hearing tests, etc. will need to be sent as well.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Yes indeed. Standard 424.16 Authority to Conduct Medical Examinations says you can.

Not sure how long it takes for this, though. I did this routinely years ago. In the good times before COVID, it typically would take about 2 months before I got a new sticker in the mail. Until then, I wouldn’t have a Canadian medical as the foreign examiner wasn’t a CAME and couldn’t stamp my certificate- it was always a new sticker for my booklet.

With the time it takes now for TC to review medicals it could be a long wait for your sticker to arrive. That’s not probably not an issue if you don’t “need” your Category 1. If you do need it you might want to look at the options through a CAME.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
bdriver90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bdriver90 »

Panama Jack wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:11 am Yes indeed. Standard 424.16 Authority to Conduct Medical Examinations says you can.

Not sure how long it takes for this, though. I did this routinely years ago. In the good times before COVID, it typically would take about 2 months before I got a new sticker in the mail. Until then, I wouldn’t have a Canadian medical as the foreign examiner wasn’t a CAME and couldn’t stamp my certificate- it was always a new sticker for my booklet.

With the time it takes now for TC to review medicals it could be a long wait for your sticker to arrive. That’s not probably not an issue if you don’t “need” your Category 1. If you do need it you might want to look at the options through a CAME.

Thanks for that what is exactly the process, not sure I recall it. I have the FAA 1st class, and I’m not in a hurry for the Canadian Class 1 so I thought why not. Appreciate it !

Return to “General Comments”