AME job alternatives..?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

AoA2021
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME job alternatives..?

Post by AoA2021 »

Hi to all,

What are the best job options for a recently graduated aircraft mechanic that would allow me to get a decent pay to take care of my family?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

YYCAME
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: AME job alternatives..?

Post by YYCAME »

You could check out wind turbines if you don't mind living somewhere rural, which usually means cheaper cost of living as well. There are other trades like elevator maintenance where your training might help you get a start as well.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Heavy equipment mechanic, boat mechanic.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Heavy Equipment! It’s done me well, depending on where you are the opportunities are growing unlike aviation. Check out dealerships and consult your local Trades board for equivalency evaluation of your schooling. Get an apprenticeship before you apply for the equivalency. Also are you licenced? You said recently graduated mechanic, don’t know if you mean you wrote your regs exam with a full logbook or you just completed school.

Last edited by PitchLink on Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

AoA2021 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:37 am Hi to all,

What are the best job options for a recently graduated aircraft mechanic that would allow me to get a decent pay to take care of my family?

Thanks!
Stationary turbine work. Try solar turbines, maybe get your stationary engineering certs. 4th and 3rd class. Either will make you more money than this garbage industry pays.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Nothing when you have no experience and no license. What are you looking for here?

There is no magic job that pays 100k a year starting out with absolutely no skills. Definitely shouldn't get into aviation if you're that confused about how to work and make money.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Heliian wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:44 am Nothing when you have no experience and no license. What are you looking for here?

There is no magic job that pays 100k a year starting out with absolutely no skills. Definitely shouldn't get into aviation if you're that confused about how to work and make money.
He will have a better starting point in trades outside of this AME crap. I don’t know if he means recently graduated from college or “graduated” the cars exam lol.
Either way his training is worth something, and not “nothing when you have no experience and no license”? You sure do like devaluating everyone’s worth that’s low time, A very x theory management view, which you likely wouldn’t understand.
Initial training in any industry (including this one) is valuable. I know guys I went to college with that went right into industrial turbine maintenance out of college and never looked back. Others into heavy duty and were accredited 2 of the four years apprenticeship with their trade equivalency assessments. Several went into TC energy, Some went into marine (ship) engine maintenance on big steam turbine stuff for TC, some became machinists and fabricators which again were accredited time and experience towards their license, I can go on. They ALL make a far cry from $20/hr to start, which apprentices in the helicopter world rarely do.
Your assertion that There’s no better options out there for him are patently false, and this “nothing when you have no experience and no license” is a bald, ignorant statement.

He’s definitely not “ confused about how to work and make money”, he just likely sees his time as valuable and wants more return from it as a hard working employee, it’s an investment for him and anyone he works for.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

^ This.

I am real close to both my M1 and M2, which with my Industry experience has had me during the Pandemic maintaining machines in a Brewery and even seeing to the maintenance of a Gondola at a Ski Hill.

Heck, even Reliability Engineer at the Michelin plants is a position that is well paid and easily covered by AME training. Any sort of Mechanical trade has the basics covered during our schooling.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

Heliian wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:44 am Nothing when you have no experience and no license. What are you looking for here?

Good god! He didn’t mention anything to which you’re referring. At least you didn’t mention “the dole” this time, which is always YOUR only alternative to low time guys. I can’t believe people like you still exist in this industry.
He asked a legitimate question, and you got a comprehensive response from others so far. I really hope you’re not in management or an owner or an employer, but I’m pretty sure you are……

Crossthreaded
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crossthreaded »

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

all_ramped_up wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:44 am ^ This.

I am real close to both my M1 and M2, which with my Industry experience has had me during the Pandemic maintaining machines in a Brewery and even seeing to the maintenance of a Gondola at a Ski Hill.

Heck, even Reliability Engineer at the Michelin plants is a position that is well paid and easily covered by AME training. Any sort of Mechanical trade has the basics covered during our schooling.
People need to know the truth. I’m sick and tired of Canadas diseased mentality regarding this trade. The word is out it’s just not loud enough yet

Wonderdog
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wonderdog »

As a Canadian AME for 27 years, with 4000 hrs. airtime, worldwide, I could not imagine a better
skill set to assist you through life.
It gets a bit rough some days, but so does walking 50 miles.
Remote camp work in Canada, pays as much as a Canadian AME. So,
you can fix the aircraft on site, and also get paid manning camp.
Good luck, it's gas...

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Bede wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:03 pm Heavy equipment mechanic, boat mechanic.
Both are good trades, I’ve actually done both of those and still active in one. There’s a marina near my home town hiring in unlicensed marine mechanics with considerations from other similar trades (AME being one cited often). $45/hr all day long to start plus factory training plus sign on bonus’ and as little or as much overtime as you want. Great benefits and employer RSP matching.

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Wonderdog wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:32 am As a Canadian AME for 27 years, with 4000 hrs. airtime, worldwide, I could not imagine a better
skill set to assist you through life.
It gets a bit rough some days, but so does walking 50 miles.
Remote camp work in Canada, pays as much as a Canadian AME. So,
you can fix the aircraft on site, and also get paid manning camp.
Good luck, it's gas...
I don’t understand any of that. You walk 50 miles?

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Heli Ian is one of the old aerosexuals who still can't think outside the "for the passion" aviation mindset that's infected maintenance in Canada for so long. He see's aviation as the only path if you went to school for it. Like a sentence, if you will. :lol:

To the OP - find something, almost anything that keeps you from having to earn your income working on airplanes. Been doing it for 22 years and I am finally pulling the pin. The Covid BS was a blessing in disguise and a needed kick to the ass.

Aviation, particularly maintenance, blows. I would not ever do it again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Last edited by chowda on Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wonderdog
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Wonderdog »

Well said chowda.

SMcL.
M315881

Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

chowda wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:45 pm Heli Ian is one the old aerosexuals who still can't think outside the "for the passion" aviation mindset that's infected maintenance in Canada for so long. He see's aviation as the only path if you went to school for it.

To the OP - find something, almost anything that keeps you from having to earn your income working on airplanes. Been doing it for 22 years and I am finally pulling the pin. The Covid BS was a blessing in disguise and a needed kick to the ass.

Aviation, particularly maintenance, blows. I would not ever do it again nor would I recommend it to anyone.

It’s bad, I have another career outside this garbage which pays my primary income, but I still keep my rate high. Helicopters are as bad or worse than fixed wing in Canada right now. Heliian has a long record for being aero/helisexual not just on here but vertical as well (if that’s the same person). An attitude like that is the kind spawned from someone with no kids and probably a spouse that makes the bread. ZERO time for people like that

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

chowda wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:45 pm Heli Ian is one the old aerosexuals who still can't think outside the "for the passion" aviation mindset that's infected maintenance in Canada for so long. He see's aviation as the only path if you went to school for it.

It’s true…… 😂

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

Bug_Stomper_01 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:04 pm

It’s bad, I have another career outside this garbage which pays my primary income, but I still keep my rate high. Helicopters are as bad or worse than fixed wing in Canada right now. Heliian has a long record for being aero/helisexual not just on here but vertical as well (if that’s the same person). An attitude like that is the kind spawned from someone with no kids and probably a spouse that makes the bread. ZERO time for people like that

Im doing the same. I renewed my license, albeit because it was so easy and the fact there's no way in hell I'd go through TC's BS if I let it expire, and wanted to renew it. Just no interest.

Been getting some cold emails for work but the last three I haven't even replied. The offers/work conditions just suck and Im just not into it any more. The right price, maybe, but working by myself outside, at night, with some shithead manager squeezing you into grey/black areas because they cant say "no" in meetings, well....I've had enough. They always will want more and you'll be the instant asshole the moment you decide not to roll with them.

It's happened way too many times and no doubt will continue.

Im not sure if I'd even be employable in this field anymore because my mindset/tolerance has completely changed.

Im a multi endorsed m1/m2 with management experience.

dstechnical
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dstechnical »

If I had to do a trade all over again. Instrumentation tech. Highest paid trade out there .

Return to “General Comments”