The Captain has no authority

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

eric
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by eric »

RCMP said no criminal offence here! The crown was unwilling to prosecute!
The passengers made statement to support my concerns. The co-plilot was not PPC'd and therfere not accountable.
The Canadian Labour Department ruled that the co-pilot had the right
to do what he wanted to do. He was scared.
I got the mark on my lincence.

Eric
---------- ADS -----------

eric
Rank 0
Rank 0

Crazy co-pilot

Post by eric »

RCMP said no criminal offence here! The crown was unwilling to prosecute!
The passengers made statement to support my concerns. The co-plilot was not PPC'd and therfere not accountable.
The Canadian Labour Department ruled that the co-pilot had the right
to do what he wanted to do. He was scared.
I got the mark on my lincence.

Eric

cyyz
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by cyyz »

Don't you need a peace officer to sign you off on your passport picture??

So technically I could sign my friends off??

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

cyyz wrote:Don't you need a peace officer to sign you off on your passport picture??

So technically I could sign my friends off??
You are a peace officer only after the a/c door is closed for departure.

pimper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pimper »

could you sign it in the air?

gelbisch
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by gelbisch »

pimper wrote:could you sign it in the air?
:lol:

CPS1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CPS1 »

gelbisch wrote:
pimper wrote:could you sign it in the air?
:lol:
Perhaps if there is a flying passport office :wink:

Respect the weather.
Lookout for other traffic.
Fly safe.
Captain Morgan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Captain Morgan »

Off the topic--that topic being Eric's experience with a copilot...

Along the Peace Officer thing WJ has been known to perform impromptu weddings on board long trips (just vow renewals that I've heard of.) Before the "ceremony" the pax are advised of the Captain's peace officer status in flight.

gelbisch
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by gelbisch »

Captain Morgan wrote:WJ has been known to perform impromptu weddings on board long trips... Before the "ceremony" the pax are advised of the Captain's peace officer status...
are you kidding me? that is so lame... :roll:

Kurwa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kurwa »

This is too much! Badgers and all....

If the entire crew of a 747 'freaks out' and simultaniously kills each other, and I have to put down my drink, get out of my seat and land the plane to save everyones lives like in the movies, could I log that time even though I don't have the type rating? If so, then would that count as a checkout? Passengers at night currency on type? If not, then who would log the 0.5 that it would take me to wrestle the thing back to the earth?

"Badgers!?!....we don need no stinkin' badgers!"

Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

"Get off my airplane"
Pilot Kicks Trustee Off Plane

A Hawaiian Airlines pilot declared his boss a safety hazard on Thursday and asked him to leave his airplane. Capt. Craig Kobayashi told Josh Gotbaum, the bankruptcy trustee now at the helm of the airline, that he was so angry with Gotbaum that he didn't think he could safely fly the Boeing 767-300 with the trustee aboard from Honolulu to San Francisco.
Gotbaum apparently tried to mention some of the positive things he's done for the airline, which has been bankrupt since March, but Kobayashi wasn't swayed and asked Gotbaum to leave, which he did. It's unclear whether the airline will take any sanctions against Kobayashi but the FAA is staying out of it. "A CAPTAIN IS IN CHARGE OF HIS OR HER SHIP" (emphasis mine), FAA spokesman Donn Walker told the Honolulu Advertiser. "It's the captain's place to decide who does or does not fly on his or her plane." Kobayashi told the Advertiser that many employees are emotional about certain decisions made by Gotbaum, including
the freezing of their pension plan. Kobayashi, 55, has been with Hawaiian Airlines for 25 years.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

I was about to post the same article Rebel.

Unfortunately, Canadian Aviation Regulations lack the regulatory teeth that the FAR's and other world regulations have as far as making the PIC the final authority to the conduct of the flight. I tangled with this issue a few years ago-- our colleagues in the US definately had an added benefit and, in my opinion, here in Canada we are left with a situation where presuring a pilot into something leaves very little recourse unlike where in the US, the FAA recently ordered a major air carrier to "cease and desist" in second guessing a PIC's decision. As most of us know, this is a major safety issue here in Canada where pilots often feel pressured by management, or are second guessed, to conduct a flight a certain way that they feel is non-conductive to safety.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

Yes that’s a rather sad commentary on the situation in Canada, however I am aware that a Canadian major airlines Captain in the very resent past refused senior management the use of his jump seat. I’m being purposely vague on the details.

It takes balls for a Captain to be forced into such actions but that’s how the union movement got started in the first place. People with balls…

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

It is something rather coincidental you mention this Rebel, since this was the precise issue (albeit not the individual case) that I was dealing with at the time. It was also the aforementioned issue that existed in the US-- the captain viewed it as a specific and security threat and as a result, associated payload had to be offloaded (horse handlers and horses on a cargo flight). The well known company put the heat on the Captain, the union approached the FAA, the FAA asked for comments from both the union and the company and after lengthy consultation, ordered the company to cease and decist-- FAR 91.3(a) is blatently clear (a similar statement with similar gravity and interpretation is sadly absent in the CAR's) and made it clear that fines and jail time are possible to violators!

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
DiscoDashSeven
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DiscoDashSeven »

So is that why I get a craving for donuts and coffee everytime I fly?

Return to “General Comments”