Per Diems

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

groundtoflightdeck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Per Diems

Post by groundtoflightdeck »

What are reasobable per diems? I've been asked to give a price on a job that requires a week or so away. Just curious what people are/ are not happy with.

Thanks.- GTF
---------- ADS -----------

RB211
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by RB211 »

It might be worth looking at the bid as a whole and then taking a percentage as perdiem to benefit as much as possible from the tax free status. The one paying probably won't care how it is divided as long as the total bill is acceptable.

If, as an example, you quote $500/day total, you could make $200 perdiem.

Our perdiem rates are by the hour: $3.50 in Canada, $4.00 in USA, $5.75 in Europe and $4.50 elsewhere.

Just some thoughts. I would guess Cat has some better ideas on the subject.

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

Here are the Per diems given by the government here in Quebec.

Breakfst: 10.40$
Lunch: 14.30$
Dinner: 21.55$

Total: 46.25$ for food.

Those amounts are up by 30% between N49 and N50 above N50 up by 50%

And for the hotel /night ,
in Montreal: 116$
Quebec City: 106$
Suburbs of Mtl and Qc: 96$
Anywhere else: 79$

Plus 7.85$/day for phone and other fees...

Hope this helps

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Depends on where you are going, and what the company is paying for. Europe or some parts of Asia are more expensive than, say, Red Deer, Alberta. Company I currently work for pays about $350 per diem for Europe but you pay the hotel room (but you also can chose where to stay).

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Those rates seem more in line with what large jet operators and big overseas companies pay.
For your typical smaller Canadian charter operator $60/day would be great, $50 nice, $40 borderline, $30 what you'll get. Or perhaps "give us your reciepts and we'll reimburse you" kind of crap.

3Green
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 3Green »

We're $50/day. In the U.S. it's $50USD. That's broken down to $10 breakfast, $15 lunch, $25 dinner. Depending on what times of the day you're working it's quite reasonable. It's just a bit of a pain when you work from like 0400 to 1100. All you get is $10. But if you work from 1600 to 2300 you're allowed $25. Silly, but still overall that pay allows you to live quite nicely on the road.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

I sometimes put in for $500 per day. Never get it but it is always worth the try. Check with your or CFO or any other bean counter and they will tell you what is the maximum you can claim per day as a tax free per diem. I seem to recall it is quite generous.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
centerstored
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by centerstored »

Does anyone have to pay taxes on perdiems? I know this guy who gets perdiems...and the company taxes them! They issue them as part of their T4 earnings...I thought all perdiems were supposed to be tax-free???

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

no. per diems should definitely not be taxed. they should not be entered as earnings on T4's.

to answer the original post, here is a link that shows the government of canada's treasury board per diem rates, which is what my company uses.

http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/pubs_pol/hrpub ... dv-c_e.asp

we do not decrease the rate after the 31st day. And we do not use per diems for accomodation. Accomodation is reimbursed, but we always get an espense advance before leaving on a project.

cheers
wp

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

No tax. They're intended to cover your "out of pocket" expenses. Ans as to the amount....between 50 and 55$$ (CAD in Canada, and USD elsewhere) per day should work. Assuming hotels are covered.

Circuit-Jockey
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Circuit-Jockey »

Yep, I know what company hoses their employees out of their perdiems by taxing them so they can get the write-off...it's BS as far as I'm concerned!

chickenskin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by chickenskin »

How about a company giving there employees $40 per day then decides after about a month that they are going to cut it down to $20 per day. Tell me, can they do that? Is that not like telling someone you are going to pay them a certain salary and the just deciding you are going to cut it in half?

just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

How about a company that recieves per diem funds as part of a medivac contract, but does not pay it to their pilots? Then tells them they can keep their own reciepts so they can claim them on their tax return? :roll:

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

just another pilot wrote:How about a company that recieves per diem funds as part of a medivac contract, but does not pay it to their pilots? Then tells them they can keep their own reciepts so they can claim them on their tax return? :roll:
I would call them "a bunch of cheap, thieving, son-of-b!tch mother Fokkers!!!" :x Any questions?

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. If it stops moving, subsidize it.”
-President Ronald Reagan
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Yeah Yeah, but these Fokkers were Messerschmitts!

Benwa
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Benwa »

If a company I work for does that to me, you can be sure that I will be unemployed the very next minute. Sorry, but I ain't no bitch.

wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

unbelievable that a co. would stoop that low. I mean to not pay out the perdiems that they are already getting funds for...ouch. F*ck that sh_t. :evil: I would be gone if i had any other options.

Panama Jack
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Panama Jack »

Call the police to report a robbery (isn't that what it is?).

-President Ronald Reagan
just another pilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by just another pilot »

Sad, but it is a true case. Here is the twist, the company pays for all training, and no bonds. :shock:

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Funny, you would think that a company that does this would be more likely to lose people, not less. I guess people are paid well enough there that this is not a problem, and that is really all i am looking for.

Return to “General Comments”