Claiming medicals/headsets for taxes?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Dusty 3
Rank 2
Rank 2

Claiming medicals/headsets for taxes?

Post by Dusty 3 »

Does anybody know what line to claim your medicals/headsets in your tax returns?

thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

You have to submit a T2202A (?) form signed by your employer. Most employers are hesitant, because that then affects what they can then deduct.
Good luck.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

the t2202a is for tuition deduction......i didn't know that you could deduct medicals and headsets?

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I thought medicals could only be deducted under "allowable medical expenses". $55 a year is hardly more than 3% of the amount on line 326 or the roughly $1800 minimum. So how do you claim them?

While we're talking, anyone know how you claim maps and charts? Is it "other employment expenses"?

CJ

laticsdave
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by laticsdave »

I tried to claim my Cat 1 renewal, and the TC admin fee last year (for 2004) against medical expenses, but those nice people at CCRA said "no way!"

It's called Football, not soccer!
Jeremy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jeremy »

I've claimed cat 1 every year and nobody has said a thing. Then again, they haven't been by to audit either.
RJ

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

laticsdave wrote:I tried to claim my Cat 1 renewal, and the TC admin fee last year (for 2004) against medical expenses, but those nice people at CCRA said "no way!"
Funny, because my accountant has always wrote them off for me.

Can you work without a medical? No. I would revisit that if you care because it is definitely allowable - maybe if you enter it a different way - or get a new accountant?

Airtids
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Airtids »

Yeah, sorry, couldn't remember the form # off the top of my head.

Aviation- the hardest way possible to make an easy living!
"You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it into peace!" Michael Franti- Spearhead
"Trust everyone, but cut the cards". My Grandma.
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

medicals, lvc, rides, ppc's, headsets, cellphones, etc... put under other employment expenses, should come off your gross to your net income

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Okay so "Other Employment Expenses" is the place to put it all. Anybody else concur? Or do you put it somewhere else?

Thanks BTW

BigWillyStyle
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by BigWillyStyle »

My little system goes something like this. Under medical expenses, I list my medical fees, gym memberships, vitamins, running shoes, and so on. I characterize them as "preventative health care expenses". Every accountant and CCRA will say no way, but if you throw a little note into your tax return alluding to the fact that under the Constitution Act, the federal government and it's agencies are PROHIBITED from specifying what does or does not constitute health care, only the provinces are allowed to do that, then your medical expenses become, in essence, a constitutional challenge. And a valid one. The feds can't stipulate the specifics of health care, and the provinces can't stiplulate tax policy. It's a catch-22 that works in your favor for once. The number checkers at CCRA don't want to touch the issue with a ten foot pole, so away it goes. I've been doing this for years, and never heard boo.
The headsets, I don't know that one.

Cheers
BWS

laticsdave
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by laticsdave »

"Other Employment Expenses".
Okay, will try that one. Thanks guys! :D

It's called Football, not soccer!
TopRudder
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TopRudder »

TL2200

185_guy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by 185_guy »

I put my medical and renewal expenses in T777 "Statement of employment expenses'
In the "other" expense line and called it, u guessed it, medical expenses.

The Canada Revenue Agency says...
The following information is taken from the CRA's General Income Tax and Benefit Guide.
You can deduct certain expenses (including any GST/HST) you paid to earn employment income. You can claim the expenses only if your employment contract required you to pay them, and either you did not receive an allowance for the expenses, or the allowance you received is included in your income.

Note
Most employees cannot claim employment expenses. You cannot deduct the cost of travel to and from work, or other expenses, such as most tools and clothing.

Attach to your paper return a completed Form T777, Statement of Employment Expenses, to give us details of your expenses and to calculate how much you can deduct. Guide T4044, Employment Expenses, contains Form T777 and other forms you may need. The guide also explains the limits and conditions that apply when you claim these expenses.

Intentional Left Bank
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Intentional Left Bank »

Excerpts from T4404
Supplies
You can deduct the cost of supplies if you meet all the following conditions:
- Under your contract of employment, you had to provide and pay for the supplies.
- You used the supplies directly in your work.
- Your employer has not repaid and will not repay you for these expenses.
- You keep with your records a copy of Form T2200, Declaration of Conditions of Employment, that has been completed and signed by your employer.

Supplies are only those materials you use directly in your work, and for nothing else.

Supplies include items such as pens, pencils, paper clips, stationery, stamps, street maps, and directories.

Supplies do not include items such as briefcases or calculators.

You can deduct expenses you paid for telegrams and long-distance telephone calls, as long as you paid them to earn employment income. However, you cannot deduct the monthly basic rate for a telephone.
You can also deduct the portion of the airtime expenses for a cellular telephone that reasonably relates to earning your employment income. However, you cannot deduct amounts you paid to connect or license the cellular telephone or the cost of fees for Internet service.

If you buy or lease a cellular telephone, fax machine, computer, or other such equipment, you cannot deduct the cost. Also, you cannot deduct capital cost allowance or interest you paid on money borrowed to buy this equipment.

You cannot deduct the cost of special clothing you wear or have to wear for your work. Also, you cannot deduct the cost of any tools that are considered to be equipment. However, if you are an apprentice mechanic as described in Chapter 6 beginning on page 11, you may be able to deduct the cost of eligible tools you bought to earn employment income as an eligible apprentice mechanic.
For more information, see Interpretation Bulletin IT-352, Employee’s Expenses, Including Work Space in Home Expenses.

Excerpt from IT-352
9. The word "supplies" is limited to materials that are used up directly in the performance of the duties of the employment. In addition to certain expenses related to a work space in a home, supplies will usually include such items as
(a) the cost of gasoline and oil used in the operation of power saws owned by employees in woods operations;
(b) dynamite used by miners;
(c) bandages and medicines used by salaried doctors;
(d) telegrams, long-distance telephone calls and cellular telephone airtime that reasonably relate to the earning of employment income; and
(e) various stationery items (other than books) used by teachers, such as pens, pencils, paper clips and charts.

The deduction of the cost of such supplies is subject to the requirements in 1 above but is not subject to the rules in subsection 8(13), since those rules only apply to expenses related to a work space in a home.

10. Supplies will not include:
(a) the monthly basic service charge for a telephone line;
(b) amounts paid to connect or licence a cellular telephone;
(c) special clothing customarily worn or required to be worn by employees in the performance of their duties; and
(d) any types of tools which generally fall into the category of equipment.
Keep in mind that while your accountant may OK certain expenses, it is you who will ultimately bear the burden if those claims are rejected. However, under recent legislation, the tax-preparer/planner will also be assessed a penalty if he knowingly counsels you to file false statement.

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re:

Post by Tim »

does anyone have any first hand experience with having the cost of the headset deducted? information seems to conflict a little. please include what form had to be filled out. or just post a link if another thread has covered this.

thx

JAHinYYC
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re:

Post by JAHinYYC »

Okay, not to pick a fight, but...

Personal property is also a provincial power enunciated under the constitution. As such, to employ your logic, CRA should have no authority to tax capital gains on the sale of shares held as a personal investment. Yet those little devils seem to be successful getting eveyone to pay tax on those type of transactions.

Bear in mind that the Feds legitimately have the authority to tax income. Likewise they have the authority to define income and what can be deducted from it. Defining whether or not a vitamin is a deductable expense has nothing to do with impinging on provincial jurisdiction. As for the element of "constitutional challenge" you are required to serve the Crown's legal representatives with formal legal notice of Constitutional challenges a minimum of 14days in advance of advancing such an arguement.

Please don't confuse not getting caught/audited and penalized for the validity of your argument.

(Now I am saying this tongue planted firmly in cheek) but if you'd like to PM me your real name and SIN I would be more than happy to call the CRA audit line and ensure that you spend quality time with our humorless civil servants.

I dunno, that's just what they taught me in law school...

BigWillyStyle wrote:My little system goes something like this. Under medical expenses, I list my medical fees, gym memberships, vitamins, running shoes, and so on. I characterize them as "preventative health care expenses". Every accountant and CCRA will say no way, but if you throw a little note into your tax return alluding to the fact that under the Constitution Act, the federal government and it's agencies are PROHIBITED from specifying what does or does not constitute health care, only the provinces are allowed to do that, then your medical expenses become, in essence, a constitutional challenge. And a valid one. The feds can't stipulate the specifics of health care, and the provinces can't stiplulate tax policy. It's a catch-22 that works in your favor for once. The number checkers at CCRA don't want to touch the issue with a ten foot pole, so away it goes. I've been doing this for years, and never heard boo.
The headsets, I don't know that one.

Cheers
BWS

buck82
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Claiming medicals/headsets for taxes?

Post by buck82 »

I was able to claim my headset and the noise canceling mod a few years ago as it can be considered hearing protection. As far as I was aware, safety equipment is eligible; or else we all become deaf, loose our medicals, can't work, and will a become a burden to the system. Glasses required to fly should fit in there as well.

Unfortunately can't exactly recall exactly what it all went under.. think expenses for work

V1
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by V1 »

I just asked this in another forum , but can i claim my headset i purchased a few years ago? Also can i claim repairs on headset?

The Fish
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by The Fish »

How bout home office exspenses, like internet usage and stuff.

Have to do G/S online every year and the wife is required to check her email everyday for job.

Any guesses? can we both write it off or can we not do it at all?

Checked out the section on quick tax about this and it breaks stuff down in a percentage type of thing, IE %hydro, gas.......

Cheers

Fish

Return to “General Comments”