Downsview

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Tamago
Rank 1
Rank 1

Downsview

Post by Tamago »

Hi.

I've heard that there's a decompression chamber at Downsview Airport in Toronto. Does anyone out there know if there are tours available? I want to see myself go hypoxic.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

BirdDog IV
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BirdDog IV »

ME TOO! :shock:

I'm tierd of using the dry-cleaning bag every Saturday night!

:roll:

BirdDog
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BirdDog »

Its located at DRDC (Defense Research & Development Canada) formerly known as DCIEM (Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine). However, a scan of their website indicates that their hyperbaric chamber is not intended for human applications...In the past, DND had a chamber in both YWG and Greenwood (YZX) but only exists in YWG now. I would have thought DRDC would have one as well but it doesn't appear to be the case.

They also house the county's only human centrifuge for G-tolerance training and testing among many other research equipment/projects.

Not sure if they ever give tours but I'm sure a well placed e-mail to the "contact us" in the link below will answer your question. Fair bit of $$$ for the use of the hyperbaric chamber... If memory serves me correct, $800 per person/ per session for a civvy to experience their personal symptoms/effects of hypoxia in the chamber; that coming from a friend of mine that works the chamber in YWG.

Here's their link...hope it helps:

http://www.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/facilities/toronto_e.asp

Safe Flying,
Cheers :wink:

For Those Who Like it.... Like it A Lot!!!
w squared
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by w squared »

Or you can just build your own.

#1 Buy a porta-pottie.

#2 Seal it up with a caulking gun.

#3 Hook up a vacum pump.

#4 Get inside

#5 Plug in the vacum pump

#6 When the outside air pressure causes the porta pottie to implode, your experiment is over :D

Please don't tell my mother that I work in the Oilpatch...she still thinks that I'm the piano player at a whorehouse.
jimmyjazz
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jimmyjazz »

Several of the people at my work have gone to the one at downsview. I was just thinking about it on the weekend and am going to ask if they will send me when I hear something I'll let you know.

low n over
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by low n over »

Instead of the 'Porta Pottie' You could pick up the ones from Greenwood, last I saw they were sitting outside a surplus store in Aylesford N.S.
Still had the transport thunderbolt and roundel paint jobs.

Return to “General Comments”