starting out

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

allsaw
Rank 0
Rank 0

starting out

Post by allsaw »

greetings avcanada forumers,
it's good to see the new format up and running again! as a new pilot wannabe considering flight training, could anyone please advise me about what new employers might be looking for in recent grads of flight training schools? also, what positions might i be qualified to do with my 200 hours minimum? and, what do employers look for in a new low-time pilot? p.s. thank you to saskboy for previous info. rsvp to all/any, allsaw
---------- ADS -----------

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

Whats your age? :)

allsaw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by allsaw »

good on you birddog, i've gleaned alot of good info from reading your posts in past forums, thanks for replying. i'm 42, and very close to realizing a lifelong dream of flying. my previous occupation has ended through changing technology and goverment regulations and now i'm closer than ever to making that great leap skyward. i'm old enough to know that money isn't everything and that job satisfaction can sometimes be everything. there's been times in the past when i've had the money but not the time, or vise versa, but i now have both and it's time to stop dreaming and start flying. the sky's the the limit. yes? i'd like to find out first what avenues are open to a level entry professional pilot before i make the commitment to myself. rsvp thank you, allsaw

Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

allsaw...you may not have seen it all just yet :lol:

By the time you get 200 hours for your Commercial ticket.....you may be 44-45 years old. Unless you have a great 'in' somewhere in a reputable company flying......@ 200 hours you are gonna have to put up with a lot of shit....for a long time...if they give you the chance to work at all!

Although glamorized by Leonardo Decaprio in the movie "Catch me if you can" Those 'hay-days' of the shiny pilot walking through the terminal with everyone smiling and waving at them.......are gone.

You may not understand what I am trying to express here however it seems like you have had a good run and were successful in your career. I am 36....almost 37. I am 13 years away from 50. That is the age I plan to retire from this rat race. If you want to fly, get your Private licence, and buy an aircraft if you wish. However @ in my opinion it is too old of an age to start off from scratch. You will get poor quickly in aviation and @ 42, these are the working years for us. If your going through a mid-life thing.......be traditional and do what I did and get a young honey and an expensive car!! 8)

I do wish you the best.

TheDog

Last edited by ... on Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by ... »

one more thing, you think you got good info from reading my posts in past forums??!??!

If you think so keep it to yourself....I don't want anyone on here thinking I am getting soft :wink:

Last edited by ... on Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Right Seat Captain
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Right Seat Captain »

Last edited by Right Seat Captain on Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allsaw
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by allsaw »

cheers birddog,
thanks for the advice. i should have also mentioned that i have no desire to fly the big machines, nor fast or high, just single engined ones. i already know that a commercial licence could qualify me for a ramp postition, instructing(with rating), glider/banner tow(?), aerial survey(?), pipe/powerline/fire recon(?), right seat jockey(?), and there must be some more i'm missing, but hopefully you can see where i'm looking. also, if you(or others) might be able to suggest what the pay scale for any of these positions might be(please p.m. me about those). any/all info would be appreciated(and discreetly noted).
rsvp thanks, allsaw

3Green
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 3Green »

For just about EVERY job title you listed above, the pay scale is below the poverty line. Well below. Honest.

Shady McSly
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: starting out

Post by Shady McSly »

Good luck

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

For this guy to follow his dream, a lot of things had to fall in place along with selling his soul to the devil... wonder if this guy persevered?

Keep the dirty side down.
Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

Shady McSly wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:49 pmGood luck
You revived a 14 year old thread to say this?? :rolleyes:

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Hockaloogie wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:48 pm
Settle down.

Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

You retired yet, bird dog?

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Hahaha I was thinking the exact same thing. A lot can change in 14 years. By now, they probably have a wife, 2 kids, and flying with Jazz or something.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

YYZSaabGuy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 amSettle down.
Sorry, I forgot having fun is not allowed here. Please forgive me. :butthead: :orcass: :butthead:

SoaringHigh
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SoaringHigh »

LMAO!!!! I was gripping onto everyone's words, as if they were saying it to me... then I saw the above comment and looked at the post date.

Again, LOL!!

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Hockaloogie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:37 am
YYZSaabGuy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 amSettle down.
Sorry, I forgot having fun is not allowed here. Please forgive me. :butthead: :orcass: :butthead:
If you take a minute to pull your head out of your own ass there, Beavis, and go back to look at Shady's posting history, "Settle down" is one of his favourites. His timing is perfect. Perhaps my own twisted sense of humour, but I find it hilarious. You, maybe not so much. But hey, carry on......

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

YYZSaabGuy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm If you take a minute to pull your head out of your own ass there, Beavis, and go back to look at Shady's posting history, "Settle down" is one of his favourites.
Sorry once again, I never looked at Shady's history. I did, however, take a look at the OP's history:

Last active: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:40 pm
Total posts: 3

I found it amusing that Mr. Shady, with whom I'm unfamiliar, decided to wish him "good luck" somewhat belatedly.

I apologize if my response upset you. You know, it's not every day you see three moons. :smt008

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Hockaloogie wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:47 pm
YYZSaabGuy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm If you take a minute to pull your head out of your own ass there, Beavis, and go back to look at Shady's posting history, "Settle down" is one of his favourites.
Sorry once again, I never looked at Shady's history. I did, however, take a look at the OP's history:

Last active: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:40 pm
Total posts: 3

I found it amusing that Mr. Shady, with whom I'm unfamiliar, decided to wish him "good luck" somewhat belatedly.

I apologize if my response upset you. You know, it's not every day you see three moons. :smt008
No offense taken, and definitely no apology necessary, but thanks.
BTW, I should've added that I also regularly get a chuckle out of your username! :lol:

Hockaloogie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Hockaloogie »

Oh, you think it's funny, do you? You find me funny how? Like a clown? Do I amuse you?

Do you know how much abuse I suffered all through school because my parents saddled me with that moniker? How many times I came home from school crying because the local bully thought I was easy prey? Oh, it was awful.

But then my mom showed me the OJ Simpson story on TV, and then I knew I'd be OK after all.

:wink:

Return to “General Comments”