Bird Control... any tricks?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

shankdown
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by shankdown »

Yeah, you can put a small hook on yer fishin' rod, wrap a chunk of tasty bread around it, and then pull the line way out so that the hooked bread is out in the middle of yer hangar while you're sit around the corner & discreetly watch while the bird swoops in for a snack. When he swallows the bread, you jerk the rod to set the hook. Then just reel him in , throw a net over him, and smash him over the head with a bird-bonker. Hey, it works with fish!!! And here's another tip: Have yer wife spray a gentle shower of water on it while you do this... it helps to keep the feathers from flyin' around the place ;) Just an idea of how to have a little fun with the extermination process!

Shankdown ;)
---------- ADS -----------

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re:

Post by co-joe »

Hedley wrote: Mon May 08, 2006 7:02 am ...
I might suggest getting a minimum 100W stereo system, and playing Celine Dion at maximum volume 24/7. I don't know of any living creature that could tolerate that for more than a brief interval.
Seriously miss this guy and his sense of humour.

seasonaldriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Bird Control... any tricks?

Post by seasonaldriver »

Funniest thread on a serious subject I have read in a very long time!
ROFL

Be careful with anything with ammonia in it. It attacks the plastic of your windows and makes your plane smell like pee.

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

In a townhouse complex I used to live in the birds created a poop mess so the management put plastic owls on the peaks of the roofs. The owls provided a nice perch for the birds.
I also saw where owners smeared grease on the upper surface of the rafters in the hangar which really ticked off the birds so they moved over to the terminal building which became the APM's problem.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
PlanePaully
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PlanePaully »

I once lived in a condo that developed a huge Starling problem. They tried a number of different things at which the Starlings generally laughed. They finally left after they brought in a falcon handler and one of his birds for a couple of visits. The Starlings moved out immediately!

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

Those clear upside down icicle, spiky looking things work pretty good. Rig up a few strips of them on some strips of carpet or something and lay them over various parts of the plane.
Water parks use clear fishing line and string it around above head height. Maybe thread some between some poles and put them at 4 corners around your plane?
Bird cannons and other various noise makers only work for a short amount of time. They eventually get used to them. We used a variable timed cannon to protect sunflower crops. Their hunger eventually overcomes the noise to get back to the seeds.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I've heard from guys whom have never really left the bush, that shooting two of the problem species and then hanging their remains from the spinner and tail of the aircraft will prevent any recurrence of nesting. Maybe the same technique will work with hangars as well.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

A recent study has shown that big googly eyes apparently keep birds away. Really.

Return to “General Comments”