Who Cares About an Antinov, When You Can Have a MI-26...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Who Cares About an Antinov, When You Can Have a MI-26...

Post by sky's the limit »

Now this is a serious machine.

Same cargo capicty as a C-130, and will lift 20 tonnes(40,000lbs) on the hook, all while blowing down a forest near you... for $35,000/hr

Be neat to see pictures of the shovel they're lifting to Diavik...
---------- ADS -----------

Flying Low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Flying Low »

That's perfect...no need to clear an area. Just hover and the area clears itself! :)

"The ability to ditch an airplane in the Hudson does not qualify a pilot for a pay raise. The ability to get the pilots, with this ability, to work for 30% or 40% pay cuts qualifies those in management for millions in bonuses."
. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

that thing is sweet.

LostinRotation
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by LostinRotation »

I see the seats are lined with paper for when the pilot craps himself if something goes wrong. A machine that big with a 20 tonne anchor pulling his ass to the ground. What a handfull that thing must be ! :shock:

-=0=LiR=0=-

Sometimes I think it's a shame when I get feelin' better when I'm feelin no pain.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

sling loads can be released on most (all?) helicopters.

scouty-dog
Rank 1
Rank 1

airborne logo??

Post by scouty-dog »

Is AE sub-contracting it for their contract work?

Mach .28
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mach .28 »

Gotta love the transmission shaft running through the top of the cargo bay.

Out of Control
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Out of Control »

Airborne Energy Solutions are leasing one of two of these giants. They should be in Ab in May or June.

Say again, your coming in stupid
wallypilot
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by wallypilot »

watching those things takeoff, especially if they are taking off vertical, those blades tips must be 8-105 feet above the horizontal. watching 3-4 of those suckers takeoff in formation is quite a sight.

fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

Saw that helicopter on the discovery channel a little while back. The cockpit looked absolutely massive with ample room for its crew of 5.

The rather large Russian pilot on the show said "Everything about it [MI-26] is big... including the pilots!"

xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by xsbank »

I wondered where the engine gauges were - I see it needs a flight engineer (and a navigator?).

"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
mellow_pilot
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mellow_pilot »

xsbank wrote:I wondered where the engine gauges were - I see it needs a flight engineer (and a navigator?).
and a paint job... that's one ugly colour! What is that? Aqua?

Dyslexics of the world... UNTIE!
fingersmac
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by fingersmac »

2 pilots, a navigator, flight engineer and loadmaster.

rotorhead350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorhead350 »

I have got a friend of mine that has something like 1000-1500 hours as captain on the things. He was just recently lured over to Airborne Energy Solutions to take part in their projects with it as a support pilot on a 212. With the understanding that he will become company check pilot in a year or so as mandated by Transport. He has always said it is a truly amazing helicopter................rh350

ch135146
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ch135146 »

From Whitehorse Star Online (via Vertical Magazine Daily News Online)

http://www.whitehorsestar.com/auth.php?r=42604

Giant chopper costs $20,000 hourly to rent

By . Tobin

The world’s largest helicopter, en route from southern Russia to Yellowknife, stopped in Whitehorse on Friday evening to refuel before departing Saturday morning.
Tony Hunley of Alberta’s Airborne Energy Solutions explained today the MI-26 Halo will be used to resupply and service the mining industry north of Yellowknife which is normally serviced by winter roads.
“We expect to be in the Yellowknife area for about 30 days,” Hunley said.
He said his company has leased the helicopter for a year as a trial period to work in the oil and gas industry in western Canada and the Northwest Territories.
The initiative has been in the works for three years. If using the MI-26 to service the industry proves to be viable, it will be staying on longer, Hunley said.
He said drill rigs are now being designed and built to specifications that will take advantage of the MI-26’s capabilities.
Once finished in Yellowknife, the helicopter will be based out of Whitecourt, Alta., the home of Airborne Energy.
The chopper burns 3,000 litres of fuel an hour, and charges out at more than $20,000 an hour.
Its cruising speed is 255 kilometres per hour (183 mph), and it can lift a maximum 20,000 kilograms (44,000 pounds).
Hunley said when you consider there is a relatively small time frame in the year for oil and gas exploration, given restrictions on winter-road access, it makes economic sense to have a helicopter that can move this type of heavy gear all year long.
Some areas, he said, are not even accessible by winter road.
Hunley said part of the planning for the MI-26 program involved providing two captains with the necessary language preparation and Canadian flight regulations to permit them to obtain their Canadian flight certifications.
There are five members of the flight crew – two pilots, a navigator, flight engineer and load master. Also onboard Friday was a five-member maintenance crew.
With two captains trained to Canadian standards, there is the ability to establish a shift rotation, Hunley said.
The MI-26 departed from Rostov-na-Donu in southern Russia, stopped in Moscow to refuel, and gassed up in northern Siberia before flying across the Bering Strait to refuel in Anchorage, where it lifted off Friday morning.
The Russian-built chopper measures 34 metres long, eight metres in width and eight metres in height.
Its eight main rotor blades measure 40 metres in diametre when turning, and its tail rotor measures 7.6 metres in diameter.

Hedley
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Hedley »

I guess Hell has frozen over. A Russian aircraft in a commercial air service in Canada!

longjon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by longjon »

Whatever happened to the Russian machine VIH was useing for logging?

. ._
Top Poster
Top Poster
Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.

Post by . ._ »

mellow_pilot wrote:and a paint job... that's one ugly colour! What is that? Aqua?
Funny, I was thinking about painting my bathroom Mig Dash Blue! But I've decided on a rainbow motif instead.

-istp

Youngback
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Youngback »

VIH still has the Kamov's. One was in Pakistan last year for the eathquake recovery. The other 2 are still in BC on logging and forest fires.

low n over
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by low n over »

One kamov passed through Whitecourt a few days back, going on a job for Airborne.

Return to “General Comments”