First Air's last 727-100's?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Anyone happen to know where they ended up being parked? Are they getting parted out or sold?
---------- ADS -----------

CYOX
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by CYOX »

They have been sold to Transafrik and are now in Peru.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

what, so first air got rid of the 27's in general or just the 100's?

while were on the topic, My old man's friend is a captain for them. He was sayin about a year ago that there is a chance they may get some 57's, there any talk of that or better yet, was there any talk of that?

water wings
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by water wings »

umm, not so far. they have a bunch on "new" (to First Air) 737s (YEG, YZF & YOW) with awesome tail art, phasing out the 27s and the ATRs have replaced all but 2 or 3 of the screamin' 748s. As for the 757, that rumor is most likely still going around - what's an airline without rumoursl. They were however approved to retrofit the 757s with the Cargo door, i believe, hence the rumours. I know some first air folk browse on here from tme to time, so maybe they will keep us posted (believe it or not, i miss you jerks! :D )

I still think the 727 is a sexy sleek beast - for a jet :wink: ... nice lean wing and long fuselage with the engines all tidy in the back. Hope they do another low and over farewell when the next one retires and i hope i get to see it.

oh yeah, and one of the old 727s was at the NRC doing tests of some sorts. It now looks like a birdhouse of giant proportions.

no name
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by no name »

you can always tell when one is departing YOW to. Every night at 8:20 either FedEX or CargoJet. (I live very close to YOW.) You can actually here the roar compared to the usual friendly airbus type sounds. Of course there is always the trail of exhaust behind it. Much like the CF planes that pass through from time to time.

I have seen there 737 quite frequently. Come to think of it, there has been a "diet pepsi" paint scheme air canada plane parked by first air for a couple of days by the old workers. I think there are now 2 27's there with their engines removed. I have only seen the tail from Leitrim and have nearly gone off the road as usual on my way by. I'll stop by their hangar on the way home...

I know of the birds nest by NRC. Made quite the nice black and white pic.

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

Haven't been there for a while.

the "Birds nest" is former C-FRST. After retirement, given (or maybe sold???) to the NRC for metal fatigue/corrosion tests, hence the exposure.

She was retired just before I flew the 727.
Coincidently, RST was the first plane I ever set foot in. Went to YFB as a kid for a home and away hockey series.

Last I was in YOW some moons ago, FIFA (-150F) was over by the airport services building with no engines. GYFA (-200F) was beside the hangar with no engines

GVFA, the last -100, was still flying. The new 737 (as far as I know) are not gravel equipped and they still have the run to YRB/YSR which only a -100 can do, unless a gravel 737 from the west has migrated back east.

Probably still have FUFA (-200F) and GXFA (-200C) for the foodmail freighter.

Again, haven't been in the 7f loop for a while.

Cheers
BBB

Fatass
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Fatass »

Barlow Beech Boy wrote: GVFA, the last -100, was still flying. The new 737 (as far as I know) are not gravel equipped and they still have the run to YRB/YSR which only a -100 can do, unless a gravel 737 from the west has migrated back east.

BBB

The 748's do the YSR/YRB route now.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Barlow Beech Boy wrote:Last I was in YOW some moons ago, FIFA (-150F) was over by the airport services building with no engines. GYFA (-200F) was beside the hangar with no engines.
FIFA is/was a -200F (B727-225) and was the jet that was based overseas. Judging by the pic at the link below it's only a matter of time before it gets cut up.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0877164/L/

..and for shitzengiggles, here's what 'RST, First Air's first Boeing, looks like right now.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0421306/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0201350/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0201349/M/

no name
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by no name »

I was there last night and it looks like there is only one outside of the hangar now. I coulda sworn there were two last week but then I didn't pay much attention to old 727's with no engines in them until this post.
There is one parked beside the Air Ambulance base on the south side with no engines in it and it could be that it was over by First Air last week.

While I was there I saw a T-33 - "FSKH"; nice little treat. I didn't realize that NRC had one...

http://iar-ira.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/flight/flight_8d_e.html

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Go! wrote:There is one parked beside the Air Ambulance base on the south side with no engines in it and it could be that it was over by First Air last week.
That's FIFA...been there for a couple of years now.

Brantford Beech Boy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Brantford Beech Boy »

Hey Linecrew,

I say FIFA is a -150 cause If I remeber right, she started life as a -100 and was stretched to -200 size but retained the -100 engines.

Or at least that was the fable told to me when I flew her.

cheers
BBB

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

Barlow Beech Boy wrote:Hey Linecrew,

I say FIFA is a -150 cause If I remeber right, she started life as a -100 and was stretched to -200 size but retained the -100 engines.

Or at least that was the fable told to me when I flew her.

cheers
BBB
It doesn't appear that this was correct. FIFA is s/n 20381, a B727-225 and started life with Eastern Airlines back in 1970.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0912564/M/

Return to “General Comments”