Fuel Grounding on water

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Highlander99
Rank 0
Rank 0

Fuel Grounding on water

Post by Highlander99 »

Does a float plane tied up to a dock on the water need to have a grounding wire attached to it from a fuel tank that sits on rubber tires on the shore?

Reasons for your answers would be good. Thanx
---------- ADS -----------

Mitch Cronin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mitch Cronin »

I'd say Yes.

Reason for that answer: I reckon the potential difference between the static charge of the truck and that of the airplane is the issue in that case...

I'm eager to hear of that's right... just for interest sake... I'm not likely to ever be in that position.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Yes because Air BP says so.

bigsky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by bigsky »

So does TC

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/comme ... ction2.htm

When transfering fuel from any type of vessel into another vessel one should ensure that the into and out of vessels are bonded to each other. I have heard of static electricity being generated when pouring fuel from a plastic jerry can into a metal can. Once a fluid is set in motion the motion will build up a static charge. The only way to ensure that there is no rapid dissipation of the static charge ( i.e. a spark) is to bond one vessel to another.

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

Plastic is a real twat when it comes to generating static. NEVER use a plastic bristled brrom to sweep up a fuel spill.

Last edited by hazatude on Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch Cronin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mitch Cronin »

Haz... I know we're lax with language here... but that's so far into the "offensive to some" that even I can't help but whince... please edit....?

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

I'm sorry. I forgot which forum I was in :oops:

Mitch Cronin
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mitch Cronin »

:smt023

AntiNakedMan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AntiNakedMan »

I was taking an Egress course not to long ago (good idea I say... DO IT), and we briefly touched on static buildup for float planes.

The instructor said the best way to prevent a static buildup in plastic cans is to dip the bottoms of them in the water prior to fueling.

Anti

"It's not the size of the hammer, it's how you nail" - Kanga
skycoupe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skycoupe »

My 2 cents
The reason that you bond a wheel aircraft to a fuel truck is that they are both individually insulated from eachother due to the rubber on the ground.
In regards to a floatplane, the aircraft is grounded to earth, and 99.9 % of fuel tanks are grounded to earth as well, so there is no potential to develop a difference in potential (pardon the pun)

spafloats
Rank 3
Rank 3

Bondind while fueling a seaplane

Post by spafloats »

Believe it or not, fresh water is an insulator. Seaplanes should be bonded with the fueling source with bonding cable. If you are using a funnel it should be either of metal construction or one that is a plastic conducting type (see Mr. Funnel, they make a number of different sizes).

Remember that a lot of the hoses used for aviation fueling do not have a bonding wire built into the hose, automotive ones used in gas stations do. That is why there is a seperate bonding cable when you fuel an aircraft.

Be especially careful if you are fueling while tied to a Jetfloat dock, the static on these is a real eye opener!!

Spafloats

Jungle Jim
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Jungle Jim »

The static charge occurs on the surface of the gasoline within the can. Dipping the gas can into the water will not do anything unless it is made of conductive plastic. Like wise trying to bond the outside of the can with metal cables tied to the handle will not disipate the charge. The bonding has to actually touch the liquid to disipate the charge.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Ground them.

Why. a. It takes but a few seconds.
and b. Grounding is the best solution if you are not 100% sure of the answer.

Hard to understand why anyone would take any sort of chance for a few seconds work.

Vortex_driver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vortex_driver »

never did such thing, so does any operators
Even TC didn't bother for that, when they fueled their floatplane at our dock.
A floatplane sitting in the water is grounded. Of course if your tank is sitting on tires, your tank may have a pottential, so make sur to ground it. Another good precaution is to touch your fuel cap with the hose before starting.

I think that the CAR state that you are suppose to have an efficient way of dissipating the charge, or something like that...

I read once that a wire will dissipate one sort of static that the water won't... But it's a long time ago, and I can't find it and can't recall exactly what it was...

Of course, if you have the possibility of doing it, than why wouldn't you do it, like the other fellow said, it only takes a few sec!!! but the only dock I've seen equiped with such thing was the one of my flying school...

wrenchturner
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wrenchturner »

hazatude wrote:Plastic is a real twat when it comes to generating static. NEVER use a plastic bristled brrom to sweep up a fuel spill.

sounds like experience talking. care to embellish??

hazatude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by hazatude »

No story there. I just have shares in the corn-broom industry ;)

tripleseven
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tripleseven »

All I ever did was touch the fuel nozzle to the wing before I opened the tank cap. The floats should be grounded to the water. Only pure water is an insulator. Lake water should easily have enough impuriites to allow it to conduct electricity. Never lost my eyebrows using this method.

spafloats
Rank 3
Rank 3

Seaplane grounding and bonding

Post by spafloats »

Have a look at the National Fire Protection Association`s bulletin #407 (Aircraft Fuel Servicing) and #77 (Static Electicity) for some helpful insight.

Also, have a look at Scepter Plastics website for info. on Gas Transit containers that are spec`d for carrying fuel on board an aircraft.

Spafloats

BlueSkies12
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BlueSkies12 »

I've seen alot of planes fueled with jet and 100LL, none of them were ever grounded. That was all at the same dock though, and up north. Hmmmm

At least it'll be warm in hell...
N2
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by N2 »

Wanna try something neat, fill a test tube a quater full with gas and equal parts of diesel fuel. Go into a dark room and shake...doing a safety course on handling different fuels opened my eyes to this danger.

Putting money into aviation is like wiping before you poop....it just don't make sense!

Return to “General Comments”